Boxing (13 Viewers)

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
nah Bozi, Barrera is finished
That's what most will think but his ability was always his intelligence in the ring. Khan is not anywhere near good enough at this stage to compete against someone with his class and I fear for him

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
barrera probably will destroy khan, though khan has great skills, he has a glass jaw, having said that, barrera does look like a shell of his former self...........i'm not sure what will happen, but i know it will be a good fight

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
I can see your point, but it's consenting adults who are choosing to fight in a controlled environment.
Still man, flying bloods and all the violence, can't understand how it is called sport. I know some people enjoy it, but when I see those kicks on the head, and when they fall down like a dirtbag, I can't enjoy anything like that. Specially kickboxing, that's much uglier, I mean shooting a head. What is the point of this?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Still man, flying bloods and all the violence, can't understand how it is called sport. I know some people enjoy it, but when I see those kicks on the head, and when they fall down like a dirtbag, I can't enjoy anything like that. Specially kickboxing, that's much uglier, I mean shooting a head. What is the point of this?
I don't like kick boxing. A person getting kicked in the head is, to me, that bit more dangerous.

As long as there are proper controls in place to keep the chance of serious injury to a minimum, I don't have a problem with boxing.

You could also extend these things to other sports like rugby. When you see how hard the players are hitting each other and piling on top of eah other, it is a wonder there aren't more serious injuries.

Sep 1, 2002
Fully understand your point if view, and intellectually I agree, but I grew up in a boxing ring and the beauty and ugliness of it is enjoyable to watch. Having said that I tend to only watch amateur bouts these days (olympics), and keep abreast of what's happening through the newspapers.

If I do watch I have by finger on the remote.

That's made me think of a question I must ask in another thread?

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
punching someone in the face. what a great sport!! I can't believe it still exists in this century..
have you ever actually tried boxing? thats like saying football is just kicking a ball. the amount of conditioning needed, the training, the technique and skill, the mental aspect, the determination, boxing is much harder than football for example. it's all on you, no buffon or del piero to save you, just you and your wits

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
I don't like kick boxing. A person getting kicked in the head is, to me, that bit more dangerous.

As long as there are proper controls in place to keep the chance of serious injury to a minimum, I don't have a problem with boxing.

You could also extend these things to other sports like rugby. When you see how hard the players are hitting each other and piling on top of eah other, it is a wonder there aren't more serious injuries.
indeed rugby too. I doubt they can control the injury here, I mean we have knock outs, doesn't that sound ugly? Biggest example is Muhammad Ali, look what happened to him (thou I have no clue how did that happen), I am sure there are much more examples as well.

Fully understand your point if view, and intellectually I agree, but I grew up in a boxing ring and the beauty and ugliness of it is enjoyable to watch. Having said that I tend to only watch amateur bouts these days (olympics), and keep abreast of what's happening through the newspapers.

If I do watch I have by finger on the remote.

That's made me think of a question I must ask in another thread?
the ones in Olympics doesn't look bad. They are much protected I guess and tighter rules afaik. I used to watch it few years back, Tyson, Lewis. I know it has the beauty part too, yeah I enjoyed it then. But then again, I am against calling this event sport, I don't believe it, and you guys know what I mean.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
have you ever actually tried boxing? thats like saying football is just kicking a ball. the amount of conditioning needed, the training, the technique and skill, the mental aspect, the determination, boxing is much harder than football for example. it's all on you, no buffon or del piero to save you, just you and your wits
"Football is just a kicking a ball" is a different topic Re, that's when someone says football is boring. What I am saying is different, that fighting/ trying to get your opponent down physically shouldn't be considered sport. I explained it in my previous posts.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
"Football is just a kicking a ball" is a different topic Re, that's when someone says football is boring. What I am saying is different, that fighting/ trying to get your opponent down physically shouldn't be considered sport. I explained it in my previous posts.
yea, i understand what you are saying, so what about wrestling, karate, taekwondo etc? would you say they're not sports? i mean i think boxing is one of the best sports there is, but i dont think snooker should be called a sport

is it the whole thing of knocking down the opponent you dont like? and so if it were only points based that would be ok?

Sep 1, 2002
I agree with you, and disagree.

Hard being a human isn't it.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
indeed rugby too. I doubt they can control the injury here, I mean we have knock outs, doesn't that sound ugly? Biggest example is Muhammad Ali, look what happened to him (thou I have no clue how did that happen), I am sure there are much more examples as well.
That's my biggest problem with Boxing, and why I mean by serious injury: the long term problems that come from being hit in the head repeatedly over many years.

My opinion really isn't that far from yours. On many levels, I find boxing highly questionable.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
yea, i understand what you are saying, so what about wrestling, karate, taekwondo etc? would you say they're not sports? i mean i think boxing is one of the best sports there is, but i dont think snooker should be called a sport

is it the whole thing of knocking down the opponent you dont like? and so if it were only points based that would be ok?
I think it would be more appropriate when it is on points only, with tighter rules, more protective, less rounds, the safer the better. But I still wouldn't see it as sports
then, in the end it is till violence, you are still hitting someone in the head. I watched wrestling, I think that is the better sport, it's not about punching and hitting, but taking positions and and some tactics. You don't see blood in that, or you don't see broken arms or legs.

Why you wouldn't call Snooker sport? maybe it is not physical (well you do use your hands and body thou) but is a great sport, mentally.

I agree with you, and disagree.

Hard being a human isn't it.
indeed, we are human beings we know some things are wrong, but we still enjoy/do it. Violence is big part of it, we love it as much as we reject it :D

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
i see what you are saying, but a lot of sports have violence, boxing requires so many sporting attributes, snooker does not require one to be physical, like darts, which i also dont think should be called a sport

the main problem with boxing in my opinion is the lasting damages..........muhammad ali

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)