Boxing (9 Viewers)

OP
Vinman

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #21
    Calzaghe was amazing yet again and completely out classed Roy Jones. Sure Jones is past his prime but he's still one hell of a fighter, but tonight Joe found a weakness and attacked it.

I'm against the majority here (although i am massively biased), i think 5 years ago Calzaghe would have won anyway - The thing with Joe is he throws so many punches and can do it for 12 rounds without a problem, even a man with the fighting skill of roy jones would struggle to deal with that kind of pressure in his prime.

It is a shame this fight never happened 5 years ago as it would have been brilliant to watch and would have been the biggest fight in boxing since tyson-lewis but we all know the difficulties promoters cause and unfortunately it never came off - In calzaghe's autobiography he talks about how the fight was all agreed and Jones backed out at the last minute with no explanation.

Anyway I love Roy Jones, he is an absolute legend and a proper fighter, the grace with which he lost was unbelievable and really exposed Hopkins for the twat that he is. Props to Roy jones for an amazing career and legacy.

Who is left for Calzaghe now? And how is calzaghe seen in the USA now - have people heard of him now?
    totally agree....

of course many people have heard of Joe over here, but its just a shame he didnt come here earlier, as he would have gotten super-hero status

ok quite a few of us are interested in boxing so i just made this the official thread.

didn't catch the Haye fight but hear he absolutely destryoyed Barret,nest up could be a clash with Vitali Klitshcko . however there are rumours that Lennox Lewis is back training with an eye to a rematch with Vitali,though this could then open the door for Haye to fight Wladimir Klitshcko.

if this was to happen and both British fighters were to be victorious then there could be the setting for a super bout,but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. there is a long way to go but it looks like David Haye could really set the heavyweight cat amongst the pigeons
    I seriously doubt that...Lennox aint coming back

if he did, it would be a giant mistake, as Vitali would end up hurting him

if lennox does that he is the biggest fool in the world, he was lucky against vitali last time
    agreed

Mike-e-y said:
    Chad Dawson: Cant really comment as havent seen enough of him but from what i have seen he is overrated, either way not the kind of guy to go out on a bang with.

Pavlik: Depite his loss to hopkins i'd still like to see this fight, i think pavlik would be destroyed by joe and after his loss to Hopkins the fight hasn't got the same aura it had before.
    Chad Dawson is a pretty decent fighter....he would be the fight that the Calzaghe camp would sign for

as far as Pavlik goes, before I saw Hopkins completely school him in all 12 rounds, I thought that Kelly would have a chance at beating Joe....no chance now, IMO...

I'm a bit partial towards Pavlik, as he comes from my families hometown in Youngstown Ohio (I also met Kelly at my uncles funeral- a real nice guy)

Kelly will be back !!

Buy on AliExpress.com
    OP
    Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #23
    Chad [let you]Daw[n]son
    you got me thinking Bes, being a Canadian and all- Lennox Lewis is Canadian !!

the guy won the gold medal for Canada in 1988, and grew up in Kitchener, Ontario (he went to high school with some of me and my wifes friends)

where did this whole English bit come in ??

Jan 7, 2004
    you got me thinking Bes, being a Canadian and all- Lennox Lewis is Canadian !!

the guy won the gold medal for Canada in 1988, and grew up in Kitchener, Ontario (he went to high school with some of me and my wifes friends)

where did this whole English bit come in ??
    being an Albanian first, gets you used to all the best athletes competing for another country

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
    totally agree....

of course many people have heard of Joe over here, but its just a shame he didnt come here earlier, as he would have gotten super-hero status
    Your quite right with that statement, it is a real shame he didnt make the trip a bit earlier, but the problem was that he won the title against Chris Eubank in the Uk when European fighters were dominating the super middle division. During his rising there was nothing really at super middle in the states, then when the US started producing the fighters again Calzaghe's attitude was "i'm the champion, they should come here to fight me" which is a fair enough attitude to have, but it didnt make sense commercially or in terms of his legacy

Chad Dawson is a pretty decent fighter....he would be the fight that the Calzaghe camp would sign for

as far as Pavlik goes, before I saw Hopkins completely school him in all 12 rounds, I thought that Kelly would have a chance at beating Joe....no chance now, IMO...

I'm a bit partial towards Pavlik, as he comes from my families hometown in Youngstown Ohio (I also met Kelly at my uncles funeral- a real nice guy)

Kelly will be back !!
    Fair enough, as i say I haven't seen enough of Dawson to set my statements in stone regarding his class but he does seem to be the 'up and comer'

As for Pavlik i do like the guy and i really would like to see the fight happen, he's have to come to wales as well because he's on the back foot now - it'll never happen though, Pavlik made it pretty clear he wont fight at light heavy again and I can't see joe dropping back down for him.... time will tell!

What does everyone think about Hatton - Malignaggi? I'm really not sure about this one, hatton is not the fighter he was and Paulie is talented even if he hasn't got the killer punch.... its too close to call in my eyes

OP
    Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #28
    Your quite right with that statement, it is a real shame he didnt make the trip a bit earlier, but the problem was that he won the title against Chris Eubank in the Uk when European fighters were dominating the super middle division. During his rising there was nothing really at super middle in the states, then when the US started producing the fighters again Calzaghe's attitude was "i'm the champion, they should come here to fight me" which is a fair enough attitude to have, but it didnt make sense commercially or in terms of his legacy

Fair enough, as i say I haven't seen enough of Dawson to set my statements in stone regarding his class but he does seem to be the 'up and comer'

As for Pavlik i do like the guy and i really would like to see the fight happen, he's have to come to wales as well because he's on the back foot now - it'll never happen though, Pavlik made it pretty clear he wont fight at light heavy again and I can't see joe dropping back down for him.... time will tell!

What does everyone think about Hatton - Malignaggi? I'm really not sure about this one, hatton is not the fighter he was and Paulie is talented even if he hasn't got the killer punch.... its too close to call in my eyes
    it will be a borefest......Hatton will chase him all over the ring, and Malignaggi will run like a girl

my 3 year old daughter hits harder than Paulie......

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    agree with both mikey and vinny that there really is nothing else for Joe to fight, nothing left to prove and any further fights may well just casting a shadow over his legacy. he would do well to get out while his star is at it's highest as there will be lots of folk out there wanting a pop at him,but as mikey says, it is all about teh motivation with Joe. retiring now would cement his position as Britains greatest

which is where lennox may be tempted back IMHO, sure it would be dumb as hell but he may feel that people have forgotten him, he probably thinks that his standing should see him revered as the greatest british boxer as probably thinks a comeback would get his light shining brighter once more. that i am afraid is about the only way i can see a comeback,Lennox's ego may prove to be his undoing

it will be a borefest......Hatton will chase him all over the ring, and Malignaggi will run like a girl

cannot for teh life of me see the point in this fight,hatton could have beena great but i feel his "lifestyle" while not training has finally caught up with him. look at the great like Calzaghe and you see guys who remain fit,and around their fighting weight give or take a few pounds. hattons constant binge drinking,shitty dietary intake and crash weight loss was bound to catch up with him sooner or later

OP
    Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #31
    She must be hideous :D.
    for as adorable as she is, she has a mean streak in her as well as a good left hand

this will hopefully keep the boys away when she gets into her teens (here's hoping)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    If she really is that pretty, I'm afraid you'll have a hard time there, Vin.

How's the family in general anyway?

OP
    Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #34
    If she really is that pretty, I'm afraid you'll have a hard time there, Vin.

How's the family in general anyway?
    my 3 year old looks like my wife...I say thank God for that now, dont know if I'll feel the same way in 12 years

everyone is doing well, thanks for asking :tup:

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004

lololol I thought it was going to be something along those lines, not sure whether to stay up to watch it... i'll see how i feel on the day!

cannot for teh life of me see the point in this fight,hatton could have beena great but i feel his "lifestyle" while not training has finally caught up with him. look at the great like Calzaghe and you see guys who remain fit,and around their fighting weight give or take a few pounds. hattons constant binge drinking,shitty dietary intake and crash weight loss was bound to catch up with him sooner or later
    He's so unprofessional man its annonying, i cant believe just how much weight he puts on inbetween fights - bloating like that can only harm the body's conditioning. I know he likes to think he's 'one of the lads' and that money hasn't changed him but thats no need to get smashed on 15 pints of guiness and eat half the chippy every evening when your in a sport that requires hard work and COMPLETE dedication

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    anybody gonna catch the de la hoya - pacman fight this weekend?

pac has a chance to pull the upset but i think oscar still got it

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    yea man, oscar has been at much heavier weights, he might be older, but his power will be too much for manny............in theory, but boxing is never theoretical, so who knows, i'm thinking de la hoya though

OP
    Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #40
    I also think that Oscar has too much for Manny....I just talked to my cousin who has more experience when it comes to boxing (probably the understatement of the year), and he believes that Manny will be too fast and relentless for Oscar, and that Oscar is going to have some serious difficulty making the 147 pound weight (Oscar hasnt fought at 147 for over 5 years)

supposedly, there is a 3 million dollar payout to Manny for every ounce over the 147 pound weight limit that Oscar is when they have the official weigh-in

I dont like Oscar, I think the guy is the biggest phony in the entire sport, and I hope he takes a real beating by Manny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)