Books you're reading (10 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Seeing it's December I'd say I had a very good reading year. Plenty of top notch quality books, analysis, and short reviews written. Although I was more focused on quality and details rather than quantity unlike in some years.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
I'm not in mood to read book especially fiction stories.I have some bilingual books (English and Persian) with original text on one page and translation on the other page. Sometimes I read them. Currently spend my free time to read Macbeth by Shakespeare. I will probably keep reading it for around three months considering the amount of pages I want to read.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I came across an interesting guy. Dunno if you're familiar but it's Ted Chiang. Guy who wrote a short story which they used to make Arrival. He has some great short stories. I recommend reading Hell is the Absence of God and Understand. I found both on Internet for free.

@Post Ironic @GordoDeCentral @Quetzalcoatl @whoeverwantstoread
I'll check it out, thanks.

Right now I'm trying to finish Homer's Odyssey.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I think such books shouldn't be read on their own but with another book/rated analysis. I think plenty of stuff can't be digested without a proper dig and deeper study into it and since some people devoted their life studying and writing a book/study about it, I think it's perfect to grab a whole understanding by using such material and not wasting time trying to digest the whole work. Just like with Faust and other similar works.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Fair enough. I was more referring to Faust, Lost Paradise and such stuff, since they are new(er) and all connect to specific things that one simply can't be aware of. So there are plenty of verses that you think are simply, yet they are connected to 10 more stuff, giving it layers over layers.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Fair enough. I was more referring to Faust, Lost Paradise and such stuff, since they are new(er) and all connect to specific things that one simply can't be aware of. So there are plenty of verses that you think are simply, yet they are connected to 10 more stuff, giving it layers over layers.
:tup:

And while The Iliad and The Odyssey are pretty straightforward stories, unless one has quite the education in Ancient Greek mythology and history, a lot of references and allusions are going to go unnoticed. Now… how important those are to enjoyment of these stories is another question entirely.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

And while The Iliad and The Odyssey are pretty straightforward stories, unless one has quite the education in Ancient Greek mythology and history, a lot of references and allusions are going to go unnoticed. Now… how important those are to enjoyment of these stories is another question entirely.
I can't say about that book but as for others I'd say insanely important. It just helps you grasp the whole work entirely different and you get to appreciate the thought behind it being so layered and covered with knowledge.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007

I think it does a good job of explaining the mythology. But yeah, if you wanna understand it all you will need to read further. It doesn't seem to affect the story much imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)