Books you're reading (18 Viewers)

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
I've read: Popcorn, Un-Arranged marriage and the lord of the rings: Fellowship of the ring. And John Steinbeck: Of mice and men recently. I had to read a lot in school, so im exhausted right now :)

I wont read in some time hehe ;)

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
just read Shakespear's Henry the 5th, Wolf's " I Am Charlotte Simmons" and I am reading Modern Times by Paul Johnson-it's an excellent book on the world from the twenties to the nineties

Gaston

Feb 8, 2004
Across The Barricades

Have written this for a long time ago, just thought you guys would read it:)

”A conventional romance in a very unconventional context. Although the political situation always remains firmly in the background, it still presses in more and more tightly on the young couple. There is a very real feeling that they are battling against the forces of evil, forces which are the same on both sides of the barricades. Nevertheless the pair will not give in and emerge, through their courage and obstinacy, as the real freedom fighters.” This is what the author said about the book, I think she describes the book very well. At the same time as the book is thrilling, she let the persons in the book fall in love with each other at the same time, as none of them is willing to give up what they stand for. Even when all odds are against their relationship, even their parents are against them, they will not give each other up, they want peace.

The persons we meet in the book is many, so I’ll try to only take the main character with in the summary: Kevin McCoy: Is a patriot to his religion and country, but he begins to doubt that fighting does any good at all. He is as his father says: ”He is like a women, he wants peace for every price”. He is willing to turn against his friends, only because he is in love with a girl. He works in a scrapyard, and that is getting him into trouble. He got two girls after him, one Protestant girl, Sadie, and one Catholic girl, Kate. He likes Sadie; he looks at Kate, as she is a strenuous girl.

Sadie Jackson: She is also a patriot to her religion and country, she has never thought that fighting is a solution for the conflict. She turn down her job to see Kevin, she is always looking for solutions to conflict’s, beyond war, and fighting. She used to work in a hat department, when she gets fired she start working with housekeeping, she does not get any trouble because of that, but they she works for gets trouble.

Brede McCoy: Brede is shy but sometimes a resolute person. She says her opinion if she thinks it is the right time for it. She’s fair and loyal towards Sadie and the other "Prods". She is without hate and prejudice. I think, she likes Sadie because she wants to be as courageous and self-confident as her.

Brian Rafferty: Brian used to be a friend of Kevin, but when Kevin dosen’t want to fight he calls Kevin a coward. After this, they are enemies. Brian belongs to the Catholic side. They used to do everything together, for example the "wall-painting", but they are different. Kevin used to be the boss and Brian was his assistant. Sometimes Brian gets on Kevin’s nerves. Kate: Kate is Brede’s best friend. She lives in a rich family, her father owns a small business, a scrapyard, that is the place Kevin works. She is jealous at Sadie and does not like that Kevin go out with someone from the ”Prods”. Kate is sweet on him, anyway.

Tommy Jackson: Tommy is Sadie’s brother. He’s a loyal Protestant not like Sadie. He has a courageous character. Tommy’s’ girlfriend is Linda.

Linda Mullet: Linda is Tommy’s boyfriend. She is jealous at Sadie because she has so many friends and is so popular. She always makes a lot of trouble for Sadie. She thinks that fighting is the one and only solution for the conflict. Mr and Mrs Jackson: Mr and Mrs Jackson are proud of their religion. Mr Jackson works in the yards and Mrs Jackson is a housewife. Mr Jackson is a member of ”The Orange Lodge”. They are both upsets over their children when they refuse to do, as they want them to do.

Mr and Mrs McCoy: They are loyal Catholics and dislike the conflict. The only thing they care about is that their own children do not get hurt. The book starts with Kevin walking across the barricade in Belfast that is the time when he meets Sadie. Later in the book we get to know that three years earlier they knew each other, as friends. They got to know each other because Brede were hurtled in one of the fights three years earlier, that’s the time Sadie and Tommy got to know Kevin and Brede.

We also get to hear about Sadie and Kevin, when they meet at the barricade. We also follow them at their first date. Even though this we hear about how there parents act when they hear about their relationship. We hear all about how the different characters act when they hear about the couple. They meet several people but it is only two of them that are nice to them. However, they also meet Linda several times and she makes their lives’ to a living hell. The persons that helps them are: Mr Blake, Sadie’s old teacher, and Kevin’s’ Uncle Albert.

Kevin’s’ parents took it good, and didn’t bother. However, when Sadies’ parents questioned it out from Linda, they got mad and needed a brandy to get over the shock. When Sadie returned from her first meeting with Kevin, they wanted her to promise not to see Kevin again, but she did not bother about that.

kurvengeflüster

********* a.D.
Jan 24, 2004
The miracle of Castel di Sangro by Joe McGinniss - top!! :thumb:

Don't miss that book if you like Italy and soccer.

"In the summer of 1996, Joe McGinniss, the author of such nonfiction bestsellers as The Selling of the President, Fatal Vision, Blind Faith, and The Last Brother, set out for the remote Italian village of Castel di Sangro, located deep within the forbidding and isolated region of the Abruzzo.

His goal was the spend a season with the village soccer team, which only weeks before had accomplished the feat - hailed throughout Italy as a "miracle" - of winning promotion to the second-highest professional league in the land. Though Castel di Sangro had only five thousand inhabitants, its team would now compete against those from such cities as Genoa, Turin, Padua, and Venice in a fight to keep its miracle alive.

Almost immediately Joe McGinnis was embroiled in a small-town drama that had less to do with a game played by men kicking a ball than with hope, fear, love, loss, and almost unbearable suspense. He found himself, like everyone in the town, bursting with affection and anxiety for this quixotic and boisterous band of young Italian athletes. Through victories, losses, scandals, deaths, and hard lessons in the Italian way of sport, he found a story whose depth and power stunned him.

This book is his account of that year, a masterpiece of storytelling that transcends its particularts to embrace universal emotions. Written with passion, tenderness, and humor - plus an appreciation for the absurd - THE MIRACLE OF CASTEL DI SANGRO is an unforgettable portrait of Italy's people, its towns and cities, and it complicated, irrepressible spirit." (amazon)

Loppan

Jul 13, 2002
Gone for Good by Harlan Coban

It was really really good :thumb:

Here it is what the book is about:
As a boy, Will Klein had a hero: his older brother, Ken. Then, on a warm suburban night in the Kleins’ affluent New Jersey neighborhood, a young woman--a girl Will had once loved--was found brutally murdered in her family’s basement. The prime suspect: Ken Klein. With the evidence against him overwhelming, Ken simply vanished. And when his shattered family never heard from Ken again, they were sure he was gone for good.

Now eleven years have passed. Will has found proof that Ken is alive. And this is just the first in a series of stunning revelations as Will is forced to confront startling truths about his brother, and even himself. As a violent mystery unwinds around him, Will knows he must press his search all the way to the end. Because the most powerful surprises are yet to come.

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
Eddie gray's Marching on together my life with Leeds United

such a good book...if you love Leeds that is...

arc

Mar 11, 2004
i just finished reading 'curious incident of the dog at night time'
it's a children book but i guess u hv to be adult to appreciate it, very easy n short, i finished it in 4 hours (english is my 3rd language)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
I finished the Da Vinci Code.. and WOW.....

one of the most amazing books I've ever read.. an outstanding combination of "math, codes, puzzles, myth, legends..etc." the story line is strong and lets you keep reading.. till the last word.. so very well doen and makes senses at the end.. all the complexity and tides in the story are well ended.. really a masterpeice.. this Dan Brown is really amazing..

I got his other book.. "Angels & Demons" (which is his first AFAIK).. and I'm already hooked..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)