Blaise Matuidi (8 Viewers)

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
He's so amazing and I understand why coaches love him. He's everywhere, if somebody gets out of position he's there to save their ass, presses high and low on either flank. So underrated.

Mookieb10

Apr 5, 2018
I made this comment in the ingame thread versus Lazio, but we need something akin to a designated hitter for Blaise Matuidi. He is so dreaful on the ball. His clearance/pass attempt at the top of our box yesterday was horrific. He can’t straighten his feet out, he can’t do anything offensively besides make a run to clear out some space and occasionally lash a shot on target. I understand he’s a ballhawk, but it just doesn’t seem like a team can win the Champions League with him in the midfield... or at very least, with the midfield as constructed.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I made this comment in the ingame thread versus Lazio, but we need something akin to a designated hitter for Blaise Matuidi. He is so dreaful on the ball. His clearance/pass attempt at the top of our box yesterday was horrific. He can’t straighten his feet out, he can’t do anything offensively besides make a run to clear out some space and occasionally lash a shot on target. I understand he’s a ballhawk, but it just doesn’t seem like a team can win the Champions League with him in the midfield... or at very least, with the midfield as constructed.

Matuidi should be treated like a workhorse, nothing more. He just cant pass the ball or do anything worth in the 3/4 of the field. Is a waste of possesion.
He should be used as a sacrifice lamb around very skilled midfielders who can pour forward, and his only task being to recover and pass the ball to the closest WC midfielder, nothing more nothing less.

Right now, we dont have WC midfielders who can create and dominate, so matuidi gets lost in the mix. He also is nothing out of this world to begin with. If we find something younger and better then im not against selling either,

I think its time for a midfield resshuffle. Nothing seems to work nowadays with what we have right now.

Apr 29, 2006
We should sell him before next year for sure. He won't be in France Euro squad imho and his price will drop like a rock. He has been solid and an improvement over the Sturaro's of this world we had to field, but he is done.

If someone was willing to offer 50% of what we paid for him we should cash ASAP. Buying him was not a great idea to begin with.

His job should be done by the likes of Bentacur or Can. The lowest common denominator in our midfield. Unless we have someone like Kante, I want to see a midfielder having abilities on the ball.

PS: Quite frankly I see SMS as a replacement for Matuidi. He is far from great on the ball, but has aerial and physical presence.

james95

Sep 2, 2018
He's right though. Ideally, we should be look for a Matuidi replacement sooner rather than later. Players like him decline steeply as he's all brawn and no brain. He relies so much on his athleticism that even fundamental things like his first touch aren't always up to par - especially when he's knackered like he looked last night. Seeing that he's 32 this year, it could be a case that he could turn crap almost overnight. He's key to the side as he covers the ground of 2 players but he should be replaced sooner rather than later. Or at least someone who will eventually takeover from him should be groomed from now.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Wat? SMS a replacement for Matuidi? Dude has nowhere near the athleticism of Matuidi. His selling point is his ability with the ball at his feet.
Remember when Sami outran him? :touched:
We should sell him before next year for sure. He won't be in France Euro squad imho and his price will drop like a rock. He has been solid and an improvement over the Sturaro's of this world we had to field, but he is done.

If someone was willing to offer 50% of what we paid for him we should cash ASAP. Buying him was not a great idea to begin with.

His job should be done by the likes of Bentacur or Can. The lowest common denominator in our midfield.
Nonsense. Sell our most important mid (together with Pjanic). The people on here ffs :sergio:

Apr 29, 2006
Remember when Sami outran him? :touched:

Nonsense. Sell our most important mid (together with Pjanic). The people on here ffs :sergio:
I think the problem itself is that Matuidi is important for our midfield. He must be if only because he has probably most minutes of all them mids. Matuidi (of the last 2 years) must be a 4th midfielder at best and even then he is too limited to cover anything else than the runner position. Maybe he can do LB too, but Max never played him there. Given Cuadrado's experiment took 3 years (right?) it isn't too surprising and doesn't say much.

Wat? SMS a replacement for Matuidi? Dude has nowhere near the athleticism of Matuidi. His selling point is his ability with the ball at his feet.
SMS is anything, but a technical midfielder. The more I look into his game the more I see his first touch is good, but his passing is average. IMHO even Pogba doesn't have top-notch passing, but SMS is far from him too. He is strong, has good offensive (very good) movements and so forth, but it would have to be seen if he can utilize his large framework to be effective in defense.

Surely SMS has a ceiling that makes Matuidi look bang average, especially if you discount stamina. The fact SMS is far from the player we want him to be and yet is streets ahead of Matuidi says it all.

The biggest advantage our french star brings is cover for CR7 and AS. Very, very important. But, on the other hand, htis gives us less options and a somehow simplistic game plan.

Apr 29, 2006
No need to wonder. Most people don't. They love to repeat the popular opinion. Makes them sound like experDs in the echo-chamber called social media. They are too busy working a "Very ImPortant" nine-to-five job anyhow. No wonder religions took well!

What amazes me is that clubs haven't figured that out... Spending money on scouts those poor bastards, rather than just 'go out there' and find all those free experDs on the WWW.

PS: I also love to 'go out there' and talk about players I haven't even seen. All I know is SMS is black. But its good to see the opinions of others, especially when a constructive debate ensues. Sometimes though I just love to chatter with people that have seen a TV screen live - ExperDs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)