Betting scandal hits calcio (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Betting scandal hits calcio

Twelve Italian clubs are to be probed by anti-Mafia police into alleged links between gambling and organised crime.

News of the investigation broke this morning when a Naples based anti-Mafia unit visited the headquarters of Siena.

The Tuscan outfit insisted that they were victims in the whole affair, while revealing that another 11 Italian clubs were connected in the investigation.

"We are very calm about the situation," stated director general Walter Scapigliati. "That is because we are the victims in this case."

The club also issued a statement which helped to fully outline what had actually occurred today.

"Police have opened an investigation regarding gambling and organised crime, one which may involve a number of players," it read. "Twelve clubs are involved on a national scale."

The identity of the other clubs have since been revealed, with three other Serie A sides being mentioned.

They are Chievo, Lecce and Reggina. The Serie B and C outfits named are Piacenza, Ascoli, Lumezzane, Sassari, Taranto, Catanzaro, Crotone and Fermana.

Unconfirmed reports allege that some of this season’s games could have been affected, with the aid of some players, after a string of suspicious internet bets.

It was alleged that as many as 20 players could be involved and five have already been named as part of the investigation.

It’s been reported that Siena’s Roberto D'Aversa, Generoso Rossi – who has now left the club - and Nicola Ventola are helping police with their enquiries.

Grosseto player Salvatore Ambrosino and former Juve Stabia player Vincenzo Onorato are doing the same.

Eight other people are also aiding the authorities. No charges have been made against any clubs or individuals and the investigation continues.

Lecce President Quirico Semeraro said: "The police arrived and asked for documents which we have given them. We have nothing to do with this."

Reggina chief Lillo Foti added: "They can do all the checks that they want. We are as calm as Siena are."

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may11e.html

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
No. Juve's not a Serie C team. They are the only team who have never been relegated! Hell even Inter havent been relegated yet!!

Juve WILL be mentioned, knowing the media :D

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Josh, what the hell are you talking about??

I'm talking about Lumezzane, Sassari, Taranto, Catanzaro, Crotone and Fermana being Serie C teams

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andre 3000 ] ++
Josh, what the hell are you talking about??

I'm talking about Lumezzane, Sassari, Taranto, Catanzaro, Crotone and Fermana being Serie C teams

oh i was just assuming juve was mentioned cuz they will be so might as well be prepared

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
Betting scandal hits calcio

Twelve Italian clubs are to be probed by anti-Mafia police into alleged links between gambling and organised crime.

News of the investigation broke this morning when a Naples based anti-Mafia unit visited the headquarters of Siena.

The Tuscan outfit insisted that they were victims in the whole affair, while revealing that another 11 Italian clubs were connected in the investigation.

"We are very calm about the situation," stated director general Walter Scapigliati. "That is because we are the victims in this case."

The club also issued a statement which helped to fully outline what had actually occurred today.

"Police have opened an investigation regarding gambling and organised crime, one which may involve a number of players," it read. "Twelve clubs are involved on a national scale."

The identity of the other clubs have since been revealed, with three other Serie A sides being mentioned.

They are Chievo, Lecce and Reggina. The Serie B and C outfits named are Piacenza, Ascoli, Lumezzane, Sassari, Taranto, Catanzaro, Crotone and Fermana.

Unconfirmed reports allege that some of this season’s games could have been affected, with the aid of some players, after a string of suspicious internet bets.

It was alleged that as many as 20 players could be involved and five have already been named as part of the investigation.

It’s been reported that Siena’s Roberto D'Aversa, Generoso Rossi – who has now left the club - and Nicola Ventola are helping police with their enquiries.

Grosseto player Salvatore Ambrosino and former Juve Stabia player Vincenzo Onorato are doing the same.

Eight other people are also aiding the authorities. No charges have been made against any clubs or individuals and the investigation continues.

Lecce President Quirico Semeraro said: "The police arrived and asked for documents which we have given them. We have nothing to do with this."

Reggina chief Lillo Foti added: "They can do all the checks that they want. We are as calm as Siena are."

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may11e.html
well guess who's back?

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++
I don't know how about other nations, but in my country police is the only mafia :)

They have unlimited power.
I'm sorry to hear that. Police tend to have a bit extreme methods at times here too though.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++

I'm sorry to hear that. Police tend to have a bit extreme methods at times here too though.
Where are you from, Zambrotta? In my country police do whatever they want, because those at power heavily rely on the police.

One day we will have true middle class. And country leaders will have to rely on it, the way it's done in the civilized world.

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
Sweden.

Here the police can beat you up for no particular reason especially during football games and they will not get judged for it.
It is not as bad as in your country but everything can get better.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
Sweden.

Here the police can beat you up for no particular reason especially during football games and they will not get judged for it.
It is not as bad as in your country but everything can get better.
That's probably because in that particular case policemen presume one may represent a threat to the environment. And I am sure they have authority for that, otherwise they'd never beat somebody up.

Northern European countries are the least corrupt in the world, so you're in good shape, bro! :D

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++

That's probably because in that particular case policemen presume one may represent a threat to the environment. And I am sure they have authority for that, otherwise they'd never beat somebody up.

Northern European countries are the least corrupt in the world, so you're in good shape, bro! :D
They do not have authority to beat you with the back of their batons and beat you up while you are on the ground.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Del Neri is no longer considered for our job, right?

Match-Fixing Scandal - Del Neri And Papadopulo Interrogated

05/13/2004. With regards to the match-fixing scandal that is sweeping Italian football, today the coaches of Chievo Verona and Siena, Luigi Del Neri and Giuseppe Papadopulo, have been interrogated at the Dia offices.

Del Neri sounded confident that things will soon be solved and declared: "The magistrates are doing their duty, but in my opinion the football world is sane. I'm very disappointed because it is not simple; I like doing football, not these arguments."
SA Europe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)