Best solos (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
The title says about everything.
Which are the best solos made so far in music history.

My absolute favourite is the solo in "All I want is you" by U2. Not only because it is a great solo but also because it comes so smoothly. Solos in songs like "Still got the blues for you" are often taking the overhand so that it is the only thing you remember from the song.
Other classic solos are of course "Nothing else matters" and "Black magic woman". One of my favourite songs "November rain" has one of the top three solos ever. "Stairway to heaven" has to be in this type of list I guess.
The two coolest solos are "Voodoo child" and "Riders on the storm" by The doors.
"Careless whisper" has a great saxophone solo.
I couldn't really come up with any good solos by Oasis or Pearl Jam, can you?

1. All I want is you - U2
2. Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix
3. November Rain - Guns n' Roses
4. Nothing else matters - Metallica
5. Riders on the storm - The Doors

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
I like the ones you chose. Very good choices indeed!

My favourite one however has to be Live Forever - Oasis. That solo is great.

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #3
    Yes that is a good solo. Oasis do ackords mostly but they do it well.

Do you like "All I want is you"? everyone thinks I am stupid when I say that.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    I think it's good.

When I try to write songs, however I never include solos. Dunno why, maybe cos i`m not arsed, or maybe cos i`m not good enough for those.

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #5
    You do not necessarily have to have a solo, just listen to St. Anger I don't think there is a single solo in that album. I think that you have to have some kind of bridge at least, you can't just keep playing ackords through a whole song. Is it possible to listen to some of your songs perhaps?

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    The Dandy Warhols don't do any solos either, and yes you`re right, bridges (or middle eights) make a song sound better.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    There are a looooot of good solos! its almost impossible for me to choose...so i will say some:

Angra - Carry On (excellent feeling), Carolina 4 (oh my god!!)
    X Japan - Silent Jealousy , ART OF LIFE (wao)
    Metallica - One (its one people)
    Iron Maiden - Brave New World (yeah maiden)
    Stratovarius - Speed of Light (very fast solo)
    Rhapsody - Wisdom of the Kings (oh just a happy solo :) )
    Rata Blanca - La Leyenda del Hada y el Mago (latin metal yeah!!)
    Stryper - In god we trust
    Steve Vai - Heavy metal symphony
    Queensryche - Real world (beautiful)

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #11
    (3 left)

++ [ originally posted by Kaliman ] ++
    But it's a bit sad, cuz Metallica is great at those solos IMO :undecide:
    It is really sad, their new album is crap. Their solos used to be top class. Why can't bands make music like they did in the 80's and 90's. Pearl Jam is the only band who has made a good album since new years eve 2000.

A solo I would like to add is Phil Collins "Wish it would rain down".

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
    Why can't bands make music like they did in the 80's and 90's. Pearl Jam is the only band who has made a good album since new years eve 2000.
    Def leppards new album wasnt so bad. Also chris rea (altho not a typical rock artist) does have some great solos, even in his recent album.

Oh and best solo is lynynrd skynyrd - freebird (the long version)
    The solo at the end is amazing.

Dylan

Sep 22, 2002
    Pink Floyd-comfortably numb :eek: Amazing!!
    Gary moore- still got the blues :touched: Exelent!!
    Radiohead- Paranoid Android!!!:mute:
    Eagles - Hotel California - The Solo at the end !!:thumb:
    The Doors -Roadhouse Blues!!! :mute:

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #15
    ++ [ originally posted by McFarlando ] ++

Def leppards new album wasnt so bad. Also chris rea (altho not a typical rock artist) does have some great solos, even in his recent album.

Oh and best solo is lynynrd skynyrd - freebird (the long version)
    The solo at the end is amazing.
    I am a big fan of Chris Rea, He is rockartist for me. He is what we in sweden calls "gubbrocker" which means something like "oldmanrocker".
    His solo in "Road to hell should be on my top 20. But my favourite songs from him are Josephine and on the beach. Is the new album any good? it is supposed to be pretty different from the previous ones.

The solo in "easy like sunday morning" by Faith no more could get a top ten spot.

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    I think his new album is brilliant. Its not as much like his old stuff, but still chris rea. Its like a blues/rock album. Some great solos. Its a 2cd album too which is cool.

Oh and my fav chris rea songs: guitar street, road to hell, looking for a rainbow

some great solos:

boston - more than a feeling
    dire straits - brothers in arms (also just add about every other good dire straits song ;) )
    skid row - in a darkened room

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by McFarlando ] ++
    I think his new album is brilliant. Its not as much like his old stuff, but still chris rea. Its like a blues/rock album. Some great solos. Its a 2cd album too which is cool.

Oh and my fav chris rea songs: guitar street, road to hell, looking for a rainbow

dire straits - brothers in arms (also just add about every other good dire straits song ;) )
    Could you name some good songs from the new album?

Some new solos:
    dire straits - sultans of swing
    frank zappa - sofa no.1 (acoustic)
    Ozzy - mama I'm comin home
    ebba grön - die mauer

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
    It is really sad, their new album is crap. Their solos used to be top class. Why can't bands make music like they did in the 80's and 90's. Pearl Jam is the only band who has made a good album since new years eve 2000.
    First a correction, Metallica doesn't make solos, it's either Kirk Hammet or James Hetfield that makes them. They don't work on them together as a group.

And it's funny you saying that you like Metallica solos, and then list a James Hetfield solo (Nothing Else Matters) since James Hetfield only made 2 or 3 solos, Hammet made all the other ones :)

Apart from that:
    Jimi Hendrix-Little Wing
    Jimmy Page-White Summer :star:
    Metallica-One
    Zakk Wylde-Paranoid

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #20
    Tarmpropp, are you saying that it is only a metallica solo if hetfield makes the solo. So Guns n' roses haven't made a solo ever as it was Slash who made them and not Axl Rose, interesting! :undecide:
    Do you think the drummer in a band works on the guitar solos? or does the guitarist work together with the basist on the vocals? No, I don't think so. But it still the groups song.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)