Best Defenders (2 Viewers)

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
DelPierino said:
What are for ya´ll the best 10 devenders?

1. Cannavaro
2. Wörns
3. Metzelder
4. Thuram
5. Terry
6. Nesta
7. Nowotny
8. Gallas
9. Atouba
10. van Buyten

These are mine.
maldini should be up there:disagree:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Andy said:
In my opinion Lucio is one of the most overrated defenders in the world...he was tragic against Chelsea and Juventus last season in the Champions League and was disapointing against Milan this season. Last year Kovac had to cover Lucio's ass very frequently and the only reason that defense was held together was because of the Croatian. If you ask Burke he will tell you the same story, however he once thought very much of Lucio before I convinced him he was overrated. I would take Thuram over him any day of the week and I'm by all means not a fan of Lilian...
I agree with you 100%. I've been saying for a very long time that Lucio is extremely overrated and I really don't get what people see in him. As a defender he just isn't cutting it. He's unreliable and shaky. I think a lot of people like him because he's useful when he gets forward but as I said, as a defender he isn't solid enough.

My top ten in no particular order, centre backs only btw.

Fabio Cannavaro
John Terry
Carles Puyol
Alessandro Nesta
Jamie Carragher
Gonzalo Rodriguez
Kolo Toure
William Gallas
Cristian Chivu
Rio Ferdinand

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Stuart said:
I agree with you 100%. I've been saying for a very long time that Lucio is extremely overrated and I really don't get what people see in him. As a defender he just isn't cutting it. He's unreliable and shaky. I think a lot of people like him because he's useful when he gets forward but as I said, as a defender he isn't solid enough.

My top ten in no particular order, centre backs only btw.

Fabio Cannavaro
John Terry
Carles Puyol
Alessandro Nesta
Jamie Carragher
Gonzalo Rodriguez
Kolo Toure
William Gallas
Cristian Chivu
Rio Ferdinand
Good call about Carragher, I totally forgot about him. He's more worthy of a spot on the list than Cordoba nowadays.

Lucio is overrated due to the fact that he can attack, very much like Roberto Carlos who is utter shite defensively. And since we are talking about the best defenders here, I have no clue why Lucio would even be mentioned in this thread. Now make a thread about best attacking defenders and things make a bit more sense..

Gonzalo Rodriguez is one of the best defenders in Spain, no question. If anybody saw him against the likes of Manure and Inter in the Champions League they would see a player who is never caught out of position and is one of the best markers in the game. When Villareal has this man in the lineup they look solid defensively, however when he's out they look like crap, as seen with the Arsenal matches. In my opinion he's one of the best young defenders in the world.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
mark77 said:
I still remember when that San Lorenzo fan came here and told us to buy him.
We should have took his advice. But our beloved Moggi would rather not take a chance on young South American starlets unless they're from Montevideo. :rolleyes2

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
tassard said:
Is Gonzalo Rodriguez so good?
Yeah, he is. He's without a doubt one of the best young centre backs in the world. As Andy said, he's positionally very sound and can do a top notch marking job. See his performances against Man Utd in this season's CL for a good example. He made RVN and Rooney look ridiculously mediocre.

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
Here is my list, no particular order.

Cannavaro
Nesta
Maldini
Ayala
Puyol
Terry
Gallas
Chivu
Lucio
Ferdinand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)