Beslan hostage taking (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
I'm sure you've all heard about this over the last 3 days. Terrorists took over 1000 children, parents and teachers hostage in a school in Beslan, Russia. Today, after 3 days, the Russian special forces stormed the building. At least 20 terrorists are dead, as well as over 200 hostages, while over 700 are dead.

FFS, what the fvck is wrong with the Russians? Cant they resolve these kind of things without killing hundreds of people???
Wait, so there were 1000 hostages and 200 of them are dead. That's like 1 out of 5. You could do better doing nothing at all.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

There isnt peace in Northern Ireland. Some people just drove a digger into a pub today and petrol bombed the place. People are still being killed every day. And IMO negotiating with terrorists and letting convicted IRA killers out of jail isnt the way to do it. NI terrorist organisations are on ceasefire now because things have been put into perspective by the worlds terrorism problem. They wont be gone forever and either way innocent people are still dying while killers walk the streets. Great system.
Well that maybe true but as far as i no as a citizen o f belafast. so called Loyalists are creating all the tension with their pipe bombing and fueds. Republicans are showing restraint. Remember Holy Cross.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Exactly. The same thing happened when the Nuclear Submarine Kursk sunk, they refused international help that could have save the lives of the 180 men on board.
Certainly. They should have swallowed their pride and accepted the help im pretty sure was offered.
You are both correct.

But nothing seem to change. The Russian government simply does not learn its lessons. They are fighting the chechens in a similar way that the US is fighting in Iraq. But, unlike the US it doesn't have the $$$ to fight terrorism effectively.

And we are observing the results.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by bringhomedavids ] ++

Well that maybe true but as far as i no as a citizen o f belafast. so called Loyalists are creating all the tension with their pipe bombing and fueds. Republicans are showing restraint. Remember Holy Cross.
I think thats unfair. Its 2 sided. Some protestants had to move out of their homes lately for living in a 'catholic' area. An area they had lived all their lives. Why did they have to move out? because their houses were petrol bombed.

Holy cross is the school right? Yeah i agree that was wrong, kids shouldnt be put through that. But like everything else it isnt a one sided thing. They did that protest because youths had been throwing stones etc at their houses and causing damage and vandalism. Also you have you have to wonder what kind of parent would take their kids through that for a matter of principle, when there was another safe route.

But lets not go into NI things, especially not in this thread.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004

There isnt peace in Northern Ireland. Some people just drove a digger into a pub today and petrol bombed the place. People are still being killed every day. And IMO negotiating with terrorists and letting convicted IRA killers out of jail isnt the way to do it. NI terrorist organisations are on ceasefire now because things have been put into perspective by the worlds terrorism problem. They wont be gone forever and either way innocent people are still dying while killers walk the streets. Great system.
And yes that incident did just happen and yes there are terrorists free from jail, but both Republican and Loyalist. ok the peace is not great bit its peace.
I find the English are very ignorant to all the problems in the world, the same goes to the US. remember you's have ocupied most of these terrorist's lands. what would u do if England was ocupied by the germans or thr US by the French(the US's new enemy coz they didnt back the war on terror) Im sure you would fight like a true Englishman,for Queen and counrtry or for the American way and what true Paitroits you'd be too.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #27
    ++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++

Wait, so there were 1000 hostages and 200 of them are dead. That's like 1 out of 5. You could do better doing nothing at all.
    And over 700 injured.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004

I think thats unfair. Its 2 sided. Some protestants had to move out of their homes lately for living in a 'catholic' area. An area they had lived all their lives. Why did they have to move out? because their houses were petrol bombed.

Holy cross is the school right? Yeah i agree that was wrong, kids shouldnt be put through that. But like everything else it isnt a one sided thing. They did that protest because youths had been throwing stones etc at their houses and causing damage and vandalism. Also you have you have to wonder what kind of parent would take their kids through that for a matter of principle, when there was another safe route.

But lets not go into NI things, especially not in this thread.
    Sorry for bringing this shit up.but remember Loyalist mobs started the troubles by ethnic cleansing.I wouldnt consider myself a Republican but i think N.Ireland is a classic case of British divide and rule.and the reason parents did not take their children through a different route is poor stubberness they didnt want to give in to the old enemy(how stupid that is.)both sides of the religous divide need to give in to the old cliche.so we can all live in an ireland which is equal 2 all religons regardless ofrace.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

I know, I followed it on CNN before I went to school. But it's a hostage situation FFS, they should have been prepared for things to go wrong, instead of storming in like a headless chicken. In these cases you have to have a plan, a backup plan, and a backup for the backup plan for every imaginable situation.

This kind of shit (this many casualties) wouldnt have happend in Europe or the US.
    Exactly. Special Forces or the Navy Seals would have raided the building, taking out every hostile before the terrorists would know what was happening. A team of 8 Seals would have done much better than hundreds of Russian police and citizens running around. They screwed it up themselves.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I'm surprised the siege ended this way, especially after the criticism Putin received after what happened in the Moscow theatre hostage crisis. IMO if they weren't going to try and negotiate for the hostages, Putin should've just taken action and stormed the building, instead of sitting around and having the Russian Special Forces get surprised and force into action.

At least if they went gung-ho and took decisive action, Putin could have said "I had to be tough; we don't negotiate with terrorists"... but now, what he has on his hands is a situation that was clearly out of his control.

Sure, granted the magnitude of the situation, it's extremely difficult to conduct a hostage rescue operation, but for a country/city that's had experience with this sort of event before, you'd surely expect them to be better equipped and prepared for such a crisis. Remember after the Israeli team murders at 1972 Munich Olympics, the GSG-9 was created, since it was clear that the Munich police weren't equipped to handle such delicate situations... from the footage I saw of the Beslan hostage crisis, the Russian army were nowhere near organised enough.

Initially, figures were released saying that there were about 300 people in the school altogether, and only 17 terrorists, but it soon became apparent that there were many, many more numbers on both sides. What I'm not sure about is whether the figures were blatantly incorrect, or whether they authorities actually didn't know how many hostages were in the building. I presume the former though.

Putin should be grateful that they didn't have chemical weapons this time :lazy:
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    I am kinda ignorant on this subject.
    What do terrorist want?

River

Jun 15, 2004
    The Russians were trying to negotiate and hold out for about 5 days so they could strike when the terrorists where at their weakest.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    i'm not saying that they should have went right in; what I'm saying is, since it ended in the Russians storming the building anyway, without the Chechens blowing up the building, they should have planned the final moment of action better, instead of being as surprised as the terrorists were when the shots started being fired...

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #38
    Yeah, they suck at this.

BTW, isnt it possible to shoot terrorists through walls? I've always thought it could be done. You get a high calibre, very powerful weapon, maybe even an anti aircraft gun, and use thermal glasses for aiming. They can detect body temperature through walls, and surely you could see who the hostage takers were based on their actions.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Yeah, they suck at this.

BTW, isnt it possible to shoot terrorists through walls? I've always thought it could be done. You get a high calibre, very powerful weapon, maybe even an anti aircraft gun, and use thermal glasses for aiming. They can detect body temperature through walls, and surely you could see who the hostage takers were based on their actions.
    I think you've been playing too much Rainbow Six :D

I'm aware of the existence of such capabilities, but in such a presumably crowded situation as it was, you have several problems, including:

1) if the terrorists are getting shot through the walls one by one, I think they'll start executing hostages before you have a chance of figuring out exactly who's a terrorist and who's not and shooting them all through the walls

2) bullets don't fly in a perfectly straight path when travelling through walls, so you'd have to wait until there's sufficient space allowed so you don't accidentally shoot a hostage

sounds far-fetched, but in this kind of situation, they really shouldn't take any risks... not that what they actually did was brilliant anyway, so maybe they should've just donned the thermo-gogs and started blasting through the plaster :groan:

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #40
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

1) if the terrorists are getting shot through the walls one by one, I think they'll start executing hostages before you have a chance of figuring out exactly who's a terrorist and who's not and shooting them all through the walls

2) bullets don't fly in a perfectly straight path when travelling through walls, so you'd have to wait until there's sufficient space allowed so you don't accidentally shoot a hostage

Yeah, we wouldnt want, like, 200 hostages to get killed :wallbang:

(btw, sarcasm not aimed at you)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)