Baselines (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
Basists do a pretty quiet job. They don't get a lot of attention although they are the most important part of the band. To be honest I don't think to much of it either. So it's about time we give these guys some credit.

I'll start up with some classic baselines:

Queen - another one bites the dust
Pink Floyd - Money
Pearl Jam - Jeremy
Curtis Mayfield - Freddy's dead

Buy on AliExpress.com

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
Basists do a pretty quiet job. They don't get a lot of attention although they are the most important part of the band.
thats true in many ways :)

But not always. You have many bands that without basist wouldnt exist and where the basisit plays important role and accounts for 50% of the sound of the band.

RHCP or Iron Maiden for instance have their sound thank to the basist mostly:)

And you can make a band without almost any instrument, but not without a bass (or equivalent) guitar.

Queen - Under Preassure

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #4
    ++ [ originally posted by *aca* ] ++

thats true in many ways :)

But not always. You have many bands that without basist wouldnt exist and where the basisit plays important role and accounts for 50% of the sound of the band.

RHCP or Iron Maiden for instance have their sound thank to the basist mostly:)

And you can make a band without almost any instrument, but not without a bass (or equivalent) guitar.

Queen - Under Preassure
    I think you have to read my words again. I said that the basist is the most important part of the band but he doesn't get a lot of attention. :)

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #6
    Oh, well sorry. :)

Came to think of one exception to my rule, Metallica. They are not very relying on the basist actually, which also is proved by the fact that they have changed basist a couple of times. Although the first time was not because of musical reasons.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    What reasons?

K10 - I don't think 7 nation army highlights the bassist since the white stripes don't have a bassist at all ;) They're just a drummer and guitarist. On that song it's the guitarist who most plays notes on the bass strings but not a real bassist.

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #8
    He died in a car accident in Sweden.

What do you guys think of White stripes?
    I think they are crap, if they are rocks rescuers then rock is definetly doomed.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    I never considered them as rock rescuers ... that's why I don't mind listening to them.

Speaking of rock rescuers, I still haven't figured out what the hype of The Darkness is all about. It's just some rock band that look and sound like an 80s rock band + their singer is always naked in music video.

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
    Oh, well sorry. :)

Came to think of one exception to my rule, Metallica. They are not very relying on the basist actually, which also is proved by the fact that they have changed basist a couple of times. Although the first time was not because of musical reasons.
    Burtons death was a tragedy :(

He was instrumental in putting Mettallica on the big stage. Other Metalliccas bassist maybe had no affect, but he was definitevly original guy.

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by *aca* ] ++
    He was instrumental in putting Mettallica on the big stage. Other Metalliccas bassist maybe had no affect, but he was definitevly original guy.
    I believe Newsted and rest of the guys never really get along like they should have. Difficult to say anything about Trujillo since he hasn't been in for long yet, and too bad they've been creating such crap after the 80's.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Truie venom

and Aka.. yeah thats true.. u can even do a band without a drummer.... but the bass is essential in any band.

In the pàst, i wanted to be a bassist.. but i decided to go with the guitar.

Just try a song without bass and ull notive how ugly it sounds.

Harris rocks!

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    bass is important because

1. works the rhythm
    2. since you can feel the bass(low freq), you feel the rhythm too. something you cant do with drums even, never with a guitar(too high)
    3. adds melody besides rhythm. unique in that they do both

thats in my music anyways

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    What reasons?

K10 - I don't think 7 nation army highlights the bassist since the white stripes don't have a bassist at all ;) They're just a drummer and guitarist. On that song it's the guitarist who most plays notes on the bass strings but not a real bassist.
    Oh. Well that just shows I am not really a fan of theirs, just that song I like, because of the bass, or what I thought was "bass"? It's the most recongnizable part of the song.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by venom ] ++
    Like ...and Justice for All :D
    Justice is a great album.

Newsted quit because the rest of the band treated him bad, especially Hetfield. He has said later that he regrets treating him like he did. The song "All Within My Hands" on St. Anger is about how Hetfield treated Newsted.

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    I never considered them as rock rescuers ... that's why I don't mind listening to them.

Speaking of rock rescuers, I still haven't figured out what the hype of The Darkness is all about. It's just some rock band that look and sound like an 80s rock band + their singer is always naked in music video.
    Their music is ok but I don't like bands who are not serious. A band who acts like they do just brings rock more towards pop, soI really don't hope they are the rescuers of rock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)