Barca plan Zambrotta bid (9 Viewers)

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++

buffon has practically failed to convince me time and time again that all that hype and that huge transfer fee would translate into consistently good performances.frey on the other hand would cost far less and add alot of solidarity to the team with his astounding reflexes and positional sense.

sebastian has both style and substance,gigi has less of both.
I disagree overall. I agree last year wasn't his, but he is not the one to blame for our bad defence.
IMO Buffon is the best keeper in the world, and I think that a guy like Frey is not even worth to be named as his replacement, as this guy is not replaceable!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
his first season was bad,the second one had a good second half but was only decent overall,and this last one was just horrible.

when we concede goals like we did the first person to look at is our 32m world class keeper gigi.no excuses whatsoever.

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
his first season was bad,the second one had a good second half but was only decent overall,and this last one was just horrible.

when we concede goals like we did the first person to look at is our 32m world class keeper gigi.no excuses whatsoever.
lets stop it here, cause it really seems, as our opinions are going in two different directions.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Look, the point is, we dont have to sell Gigi. But can we afford to sell him? Yes we can. Because we'll find a decent replacement. But off Zambro's position i cant say the same about that, i sincerely feel Zambro is one of a kind. And he remains the only untouchable player at Juve imo.

Jul 12, 2002
buffon has practically failed to convince me time and time again that all that hype and that huge transfer fee would translate into consistently good performances.frey on the other hand would cost far less and add alot of solidarity to the team with his astounding reflexes and positional sense.

sebastian has both style and substance,gigi has less of both.
Okay, Frey has much better style, but you can't say that he is more effective as a goalkeeper. At the end of the day, Buffon is going to help the team more than Frey will, and that's because he is a technically superior keeper and he has nerves of steel, something that I've yet to see from Frey.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Ian, i dont think goalkeepers can win you matches alone. A resolute defense does help. And if we have that, even an abbiati in goal would guarantee success.

Jul 28, 2002
they are both top keeper, but techinically gigi is superior..... frey has go thte upperhand in the penalty saves...but gig wins hands down in a certain area.......Marketability.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
Ian, i dont think goalkeepers can win you matches alone. A resolute defense does help. And if we have that, even an abbiati in goal would guarantee success.
Of course a keeper can't win a match singlehandedly. No one player can be completely resposnsible for victory or defeat. But, the goalkeeping position is a unique one that when played correctly enhances every other position on the field, from defense to attack. There is no more important player on any given team than the goalkeeper.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
that last statement,i have to agree with.which is why no keeper will be spared from blame if he had a season like gigi did.and seriously,i have never seen a player touted as a top keeper have a season like gigi's and retained that mantle.kahn, cassillas, schimeichel,canizares, peruzzi, toldo, seaman, etc never did,and ones like barthez and VDS never recovered their lofty status either.

and even then i don't think they had a GA/game ratio as bad as gigi's.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

Of course a keeper can't win a match singlehandedly. No one player can be completely resposnsible for victory or defeat. But, the goalkeeping position is a unique one that when played correctly enhances every other position on the field, from defense to attack. There is no more important player on any given team than the goalkeeper.

the thing is that you can notice an error from a golie much more so we tend to blame golies for defeats and we tend to praise goal - scores for victory when lets say some winger has had like 3 assists and stuff like that. you know what im talkin about.

Mar 14, 2004
Gigi is untachable for me.....He will become Juve icon,belive me....I wouldnt sell him even if they offer 100mil€.....................Frey? Frey WHO? Man.....if there is a replacement for Gigi that are Sorensen and Issakson(he was ours as I remember)....Ceh maybe...

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
No matter how good gigi is, he isnt irreplaceable for me. I mean cmon, we've had Peruzzi in goal and won stuff. We've had Van Der Sar in goal and done decently well. So i think even a decent keepr wud suffice. Having the best goalkeeper in the world, doesnt make him irreplaceable, coz at the end of the day, if ur defense is good, ur goalie will hardly ever be exposed to dangerous goal scoring opportunities. So for me the keeper's position is not irreplaceable, although id like gigi to stay, i would consider sellg him if we got in excess of 35 mil.

Jul 12, 2002
that last statement,i have to agree with.which is why no keeper will be spared from blame if he had a season like gigi did.and seriously,i have never seen a player touted as a top keeper have a season like gigi's and retained that mantle.kahn, cassillas, schimeichel,canizares, peruzzi, toldo, seaman, etc never did,and ones like barthez and VDS never recovered their lofty status either.

and even then i don't think they had a GA/game ratio as bad as gigi's.
Everytime VDS had a great year, it was credited to the defense. Now when Gigi has a bad season, no one wants to blame the defense. What the hell is that?

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
no one wants to blame the defence??where did you get that one from?all i'm saying is that the GK is the first one to get scrutinized because he's the most obvious culprit,i know the defence sucked big time this year.i do agree that VDS has had great seasons before,and i loved him for those.gigi got more than his share of the credit too last season.

i just don't know why gigi is still being named as the best keeper on the planet without question untouchable irrepaceable in a class of his own better than dino zoff world class nerves of steel amazing better than kahn canizares toldo etc etc.

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
I really understand some people who are unhappy with DP's performances, although I am not happy about those critics, but if anyone is unhappy with Buffon, I think we can close this thread, before it gets worse. Every team in the world would love to have him in goal. He is without any doubt the best keeper in the world, and he once again prooved this at EURO 2004, being one of the only keepers without any mistake. please desmond, stop that talking. I honestly think you are the only person on this forum, who is unhappy with Buffon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)