Azzurri's Team Play needs more Attacking Flare (1 Viewer)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Well this topic has been beaten to death in many guises

What is obvious is that Italy have 3 or 4 world class goalies in Buffon, Toldo, Abiatti and Cudiccini

2 world class central defenders in Canna and Nesta, beyond those 2 I am struggling to find anyone good enuff to replace them

No world class wing backs or full backs but good enuff players like Oddo,(gone off Zauri a bit now), Coco (incredibly overrated), after these i am struggling for names

Now in the midfield is the crux of the matter, how to incoporate the skills of Di Natale, Pirlo, Albertini, Fiore, Morfeo, Nervo, Zambrotta, Totti, Ambrossini, probably Locatelli,Tedesco(my goodness he deserves a look in at least), Camoranesi(won't he or would he), and Zanetti

In attack suddenly the much ballyhoed world class players seem to be diminishing as only Vieri, Dp and Inzaghi are having a good time, the likes of Montella and Di Vaio are having a very hard time

Now the crux of the matter is if you can find an Italian manager bold enough to play ball jugglers in midfield and look for wingers with pace.

My guess is that you cannot and I do not see Italy going foreign so I guess its carry on boring football

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
denco u said crux twice....i like the word...:D kinda like "At the end of the day..." or "In all fairness", etc...

Zambo and Fiore are the only players i see who can play on the wing, or camo(??)

Apart from that we have a whole arsenal of fullbacks who attack with bark but no bite, competing for spots...

In mid, we have a cartload of defensive mids but nobody complete, balanced, or consistent enough and that is our achilles heel. how much stability a davids would bring to our italia, oh how much...

once we have a stable defence we can move on to mid, and once we have a stable central mid then we can look for creativity and activity on the flanks...

OP
Primo

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #24
    ++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++
    Italy would be a more attacking team with anyone else than Trap... cuz he's got to be the most defensive coach on the planet.

DP's_Apprentice - Del Neri is a good idea! :thumb:
    Really, isn't Del Neri the present manager at Bari?

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #25
    i think our central midfields are good enough. it's the wings and wingbacks that creates gap in our squad. certainly, italy has the most talented attacking players around. but with a coach like trap, our squad will be continued to be filled with defensive players. and as we all know, the more defensive you play, the more your play becomes unattractive. this defensive mentallity has spread all throughout italy.

just a thought: in asia, majority of european football is watched through ESPN and StarSports. a few years ago, they used to cover the Serie A. now they don't. they only show the premiership and la liga because their football is more attractive because they're more attacking. the more goals, the more attractive it is to watch. (and certainly to play, right??)

italy has no problem in switching it's team to become a very attacking-minded squad. the problem i therefore conclude, is the coach that will utilize these italian talents well. someone more attacking, attractive, and creative. someone who i'm sure as a fact, trap is not.

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #26
    i think our central midfields are good enough.:cool: it's the wings and wingbacks that creates gap in our squad. certainly, italy has the most talented attacking players around. but with a coach like trap, our squad will be continued to be filled with defensive players. and as we all know, the more defensive you play, the more your play becomes unattractive. this defensive mentallity has spread all throughout italy.:down:

just a thought: in asia, majority of european football is watched through ESPN and StarSports. a few years ago, they used to cover the Serie A. now they don't. they only show the premiership and la liga because their football is more attractive because they're more attacking.:down: the more goals, the more attractive it is to watch. (and certainly to play, right??) :D

italy has no problem in switching it's team to become a very attacking-minded squad:D. the problem i therefore conclude, is the coach that will utilize these italian talents well. someone more attacking, attractive, and creative. someone who i'm sure as a fact, trap is not.:(

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #29
    ah, chievo's been impressive of late huh?
    i think we're level with them in the serie a. but they have a better goal difference which proves they have been attacking more than us.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by primo_mp ] ++
    , italy has the most talented attacking players around.
    I would be very grateful if you name these very talented attacking players and compare them to what Argentina or even France can boast of

Trapatoni does not help matters for Italy but the more I look at Italy the more I see more flash than real substance:down:

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #31
    pirlo, totti, di natale just to name a few....

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    actually I think we DO have many attacking players, its just that were not giving them the attention they deserve...chievo is the only team who did and played a great wide game

the problem is the people who influence the tactics disapprove of a versatile(total)/more attacking game...

that results in good attacking players not getting their due in the form of fame/spotlight

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    corini should be a definete italy regular..instead players like Gattuso and Di Tomasi are playing for god know what reason..

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    i think we have a wide pool of players in italy with absolutely no talent, so we dont need to worry about incorporating one of them in our team....kick gattuso out!! ;) :D

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    pirlo, totti, di natale just to name a few....
    Now you want to compare these to what the Argentines, Brazilians, French and Dutch can boast of. I am not saying Italy do not have talented attacking players but no way do they have the best in the world like you said earlier

Besides some of the names that keep getting mentioned are over rated, one good performance and they are called world class, they are good but only a handful like Vieri, Dp, Totti and Inzaghi really deserve mention, the rest need to prove it , time and time again

In saying that I do like the look of Di Natale but I need to see more of him

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #37
    they are world class players. you just don't g et to watch them play as often as you see the dutch, french and spanish players.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    they are world class players. you just don't g et to watch them play as often as you see the dutch, french and spanish players.
    You said that Italy have the best attacking players in the world. How can you say that when...

Brazil have : Cafu,Carlos,Ronaldinho,Rivaldo,Ronaldo
    Argentina have : Zanetti,Aimar,D'Alessandro,Riquelme,Crespo,Saviola
    France have : Pires,Zidane,Djorkaeff,Henry,Trezeguet
    Spain have : Joaquin,Baraja,Luis Enrique,Mendieta,Tristan,Morientes,Raul

The list goes on and on. We simply can't compare.:down:

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #39
    i do recognize the attacking quality of the above mentioned players. but as i said, italy has one of the best defenses. they play the tightest defense. and despite that, totti, vieri and del piero still put holes in the net.

try putting the above metnioned in the serie a and i reckon they wont bescoring as much. but totti, vieri and del piero, try putting them in the la liga and the premiership, i think they'd be more free to score. personally i think that they'd be like canons scoring at will if placed in these (spanish and english) leagues...

no argument that the above mentioned are good, but i totally disagree with the statement that italy has nothing to boast compared o that of france, brazil and argentina's players.

OP
    Primo

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #40
    yipee, i can now put an avatar... guys, got any pics?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)