Azzurri Thread (54 Viewers)

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
If Italy only had a worldclass striker.
Yep. Which will be their downfall in the business end of a major tournament.

Very good goalkeeper and central defence, good fullbacks, world class midfield. Wingers aren’t top class but more than serviceable at this level but the lack of a prolific and world class #9 is clearly lacking. They haven’t solved this issue for about 15 years.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Yep. Which will be their downfall in the business end of a major tournament.

Very good goalkeeper and central defence, good fullbacks, world class midfield. Wingers aren’t top class but more than serviceable at this level but the lack of a prolific and world class #9 is clearly lacking. They haven’t solved this issue for about 15 years.
610x-76.jpg

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Some good stats about this Italy.

Last night was the 24th unbeaten game in a row.

In the last 12 games we have conceded only 3 goals, and one came when we were already 8-0 up in that match.

1st and unbeaten in the euro qualifiers and the Nations League group.

In this run the only bigger teams we've played are the Netherlands and Poland. It will be good to see a big match with this team, looking forward to the euros.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Call me insane, but I really think this Italy team can at least reach the Semis of the Euros, and strongly contend for the World Cup next year.

Their midfield is as good and deep as any (Locatelli, Barella, Verratti, Sensi, Pellegrini, and more names coming up). The defense is solid with Bastoni looking like a potential world class talent (Acerbi is really solid for the Azzurri and both he and Boncci provide much needed experience). Italy has always had good goalkeepers, and the wide players are quite good (Chiesa, Insigne, Berardi). Now, if Zaniolo can return to form, and both Kean and Scamacca can step up and remain consistent, this team is as solid as any.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The main problem is lack of cutting edge. But in a tournament you only need one guy to step up at a certain time to do well. It might not be a Schillaci but it could be a Balotelli 2012 performance. The goals may have to come from midfield as well as the wings. But the general profligacy of the team is a definite issue.

You do tend to find that teams who play in such a way and create chances do waste a lot of them, but in crucial tournament moments being clinical is key.

ilmetronome

Sep 16, 2020
The main problem is lack of cutting edge. But in a tournament you only need one guy to step up at a certain time to do well. It might not be a Schillaci but it could be a Balotelli 2012 performance. The goals may have to come from midfield as well as the wings. But the general profligacy of the team is a definite issue.

You do tend to find that teams who play in such a way and create chances do waste a lot of them, but in crucial tournament moments being clinical is key.
Grosso 2006 is more memorable for me haha. Such great mentality.

I hope Immobile step up. His position maybe is the only one that considered the weakest link among others. If everyone play to the expectation and Immobile can surprise us, we can see a serious contender for title.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Immobile missed way too many chances last night, and we are talking about Lithuania, not Germany in the Euros. Belotti is the better choice, maybe Kean when he is fit to make the squad.

It is really the weakness of the team, so many chances created, we win every match 2-0 when it could be 4 goals a match with reasonable finishing.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I think it'll end up being Kean.
That’s who I would be starting upfront when the Euros kick off in June. But we all know it’ll be Immobile.

Kean is the definitely the best Italy have upfront for the future and I reckon he will lead the line from the 2022 WC onwards. Hopefully guys like Scamacca (or Cutrone and Raspadori) kick on and make a name for themselves

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)