Azzurri Thread (138 Viewers)

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
What's the big deal? England beat everyone in qualifiers but at the actual tournament, they'll bottle it. They can defeat anyone for the 3 points but not in a knockout.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Bad first half, good second half. For all of England's "talent" they barely survived and were time wasting since 20 minutes in a qualifier game.

Not a good showing but the second half shows the capabilities of the team. The first half was too rushed and too nervous. Barella was put way up in attack and it didn't work out, he was basically a 4th forward. The more traditional 433 worked better after the break.

Jorginho's time as an automatic starter should be over. Tonali and Locatelli are knocking at the door of the center role. Yesterday Tonali was great. It does mean a change from that fast passing possession style but we are Italy in the end. Tonali's mix of qualities is great. There is too much quality in midfield not to take advantage of it.

Verratti - Tonali - Barella

or

Pellegrini
Tonali - Verratti​

Acerbi-Toloi is too unspiring. Acerbi was actually good last night, but them together just feels pointless. Bastoni and Scalvini need to be more important, or at least Romagnoli and Mancini.

Also, more Gnonto please. What a player.

Jun 16, 2020
Couldn’t find the motivation to watch the game after seeing the line up. Mancini pressed the reset button when he took over from Ventura and should to the same now. I don’t see why a 35 y/o Acerbi should play over a Scalvini.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Couldn’t find the motivation to watch the game after seeing the line up. Mancini pressed the reset button when he took over from Ventura and should to the same now. I don’t see why a 35 y/o Acerbi should play over a Scalvini.
His comments which I think have to do with the decision was that most of his defenders play in a back 3.

That is the case for Scalvini and Bastoni and he probably saw the veterans as better for a back 4. Regardless Scalvini or Romagnoli need to play. Over Toloi though, Acerbi was actually good imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Something like this could bridge the gaps

X - X
Spinazzola - X - X - X - Politano
Bastoni - Scalvini - Di Lorenzo

X - X - Politano
X - X - X
Spinazzola - Bastoni - Scalvini - Di Lorenzo​

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
England just have a better team these days, it's a sad fact but that's also due to the state of Italian football.
both are true. i still think italy could be much better than yesterday's team with more careful preparation and team selection. ignoring juve players just for the sake of it looks dumb to me

then again, i didn't care to watch a single second. italy might have played a brilliant yet unlucky match and i could just be salty about the selection

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
both are true. i still think italy could be much better than yesterday's team with more careful preparation and team selection. ignoring juve players just for the sake of it looks dumb to me

then again, i didn't care to watch a single second. italy might have played a brilliant yet unlucky match and i could just be salty about the selection
They were atrocious in the 1st half - not a single shot on target. Mancini, just like other coaches, clearly has his favorites. The performance improved in the 2nd half, but one shot on target over 90 minutes is abysmal, however you choose to dissect it.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
A fit Chiesa is the sort of player who improves the team by 20% as he forces teams back and changes momentum, it's the case that Italy don't have other players like him, and not even close to him as the lack of depth means it would be extremely unlikely.

If you could put England's best team against Italy's then yes it would be close every game, as it always is. But last night was a factor of a few things, including it being round 1, but mostly because the team wasn't that good. It reminds me more of the team Conte managed.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Bad first half, good second half. For all of England's "talent" they barely survived and were time wasting since 20 minutes in a qualifier game.

Not a good showing but the second half shows the capabilities of the team. The first half was too rushed and too nervous. Barella was put way up in attack and it didn't work out, he was basically a 4th forward. The more traditional 433 worked better after the break.

Jorginho's time as an automatic starter should be over. Tonali and Locatelli are knocking at the door of the center role. Yesterday Tonali was great. It does mean a change from that fast passing possession style but we are Italy in the end. Tonali's mix of qualities is great. There is too much quality in midfield not to take advantage of it.

or

Pellegrini
Tonali - Verratti​

Acerbi-Toloi is too unspiring. Acerbi was actually good last night, but them together just feels pointless. Bastoni and Scalvini need to be more important, or at least Romagnoli and Mancini.

Also, more Gnonto please. What a player.
Just the fact mancini is relying on freaking cristante over the likes of fagioli, miretti and fratesi still. Seriously all mancini does is whine about the lack of talent and quality, tall about a manager who has coached like 1 or 2 Italians in his club career at inter and man city

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
what do you think of gnonto as a 10 for the azzurri?
If you mean the number itself it doesn't matter to me. If you mean the position then yes, he is a striker/second striker so if the idea is to have 2 strikers he could work as the 10.

If Chiesa is injured I would like to see something like this for example

Gnonto -X
Pellegrini
I think that team would have more goal scoring potential when Chiesa isn't around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 137)