Azzuri Squad For Euro 2004 - Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I'll take a crack at it (assuming a squad of 22):

GKS (2)
Buffon
Toldo

DEF (7)
Panucci
Cannavaro
Nesta
Oddo
Zambrotta
Legrottaglie
Ferrari

MID (7)
Camoranesi
Pirlo
Zanetti
Perrotta
Fiore
Gattusso
Maresca

FWD (6)
Totti
Cassano
Vieri
Del Piero
Inzaghi
Di Vaio

Formation will be something like this:

-------------------Buffon-----------------

Panucci---Canna---Nesta---Zambro

------------Pirlo---Gattusso------------

---Camoranesi---Totti---Cassano----

---------------------Vieri------------------

Here are some issues to consider:

1. Can we take 22 or 23 players?

2. Will DP be in form in time?

3. Should we take 2 or three Goalkeepers....If we take 3, who is the 3rd keeper? I think it should be Cudicini.

4. In my view, our biggest problem is the lack of depth in central defence if Canna or Nesta get injured or suspended. I don't really trust the subs.

5. We depend too much on Totti! We need a back up plan if he gets injured or suspended.

6. Other players not in the squad that are worth considering:

Corradi
Miccoli
Bonera
De Rossi
Di Natale
Bonazzoli
Bazzani
Albertini?
Maldini (would he consider coming back from retirement)?
Di Biagio
Birindelli
Pelizzoli
Pessotto
Materazzi
Adani
Montella

Any other thoughts?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jan 7, 2004
Maldini isnt coming; he said that.

Panucci, Bonera, Bonazzoli, Bazzani, Albertini, Di Biagio, Pessoto, Materazzi, Adani are not italy material

they take 3 goalkeepers

U forgot Perrota and Zanetti, trapatoni trust them

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
yeahm in fact i do have 1 thought:

It's too early to think about Euro 2004! we still have friendlies to play.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
yeahm in fact i do have 1 thought:

It's too early to think about Euro 2004! we still have friendlies to play.
When will the squad be finalized? With jersey numbering? Closer to May?

Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++

3. Should we take 2 or three Goalkeepers....If we take 3, who is the 3rd keeper? I think it should be Cudicini.

4. In my view, our biggest problem is the lack of depth in central defence if Canna or Nesta get injured or suspended. I don't really trust the subs.

5. We depend too much on Totti! We need a back up plan if he gets injured or suspended.

Corradi
Miccoli
Bonera
De Rossi
Di Natale
Bonazzoli
Bazzani
Albertini?
Di Biagio
Birindelli
Pelizzoli
Pessotto
Materazzi
Adani
Montella

Any other thoughts?
1) That's a good question. Last time I checked UEFA had not taken a decision yet on the matter. Italy could certainly use a 23rd player. In a 22 players' squad we would miss one sub. This problem could be solved if Maldini reconsidered his retirement. Indeed, Maldini could be both a central defender and a sub for Zambrotta on the left back, allowing Trap to call up one more mid or attacker.

2) I am not really bothered.

3) We must take 3. I would pick up Pelizzoli, as our third keeper traditionally is a young one.

4) That's where Maldini comes into the picture. At first Maldini categorically said no to a return in the Nazionale, so that he could play another couple of seasons with his club. But in view of Milan's fantastic season, there are now speculations about Maldini anticipating his retirement to this year and considering the portuguese adventure as a possible icing on the cake. A seventh scudetto, a fifth Champions League and his first international win after so many attempts : what a perfect timing to end a career.

5) The back-up plan we used against Wales worked pretty well : DP+Inzaghi+Vieri produced 4 goals. The problem though is that Trap had no choice but to win that game, so we can't say he will be as bold in different circumstances.

6) I would love to see De Rossi in the squad, but he hasn't played enough this year and will be dismissed as too young by Trap anyway. A real pity, because I would fancy a Gattuso-Pirlo-De Rossi à la Milan defensive trio, where De Rossi would be the perfect alter-ego to Seedorf. Miccoli deserves a call. So does Bonera, unless Maldini returns and we are only allowed 22 players, in which case the three backs should be Oddo, Zambrotta, Pancaro (because he can play on both sides) and trump card Maldini. Bazzani would be called up if there wasn't so much competition already in his position.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
I'll take a crack at it (assuming a squad of 22):

GKS (2)
Buffon
Toldo

DEF (7)
Panucci
Cannavaro
Nesta
Oddo
Zambrotta
Legrottaglie
Ferrari

MID (7)
Camoranesi
Pirlo
Zanetti
Perrotta
Fiore
Gattusso
Maresca

FWD (6)
Totti
Cassano
Vieri
Del Piero
Inzaghi
Di Vaio

Formation will be something like this:

-------------------Buffon-----------------

Panucci---Canna---Nesta---Zambro

------------Pirlo---Gattusso------------

---Camoranesi---Totti---Cassano----

---------------------Vieri------------------

Here are some issues to consider:

Corradi
Miccoli
Bonera
De Rossi
Di Natale
Bonazzoli
Bazzani
Albertini?
Di Biagio
Birindelli
Pelizzoli
Pessotto
Materazzi
Adani
Montella

Any other thoughts?
Good Post.

First of all i would take off cannavaro out of the team or at least the first team, he has been awfull all this season long. and insert ferrari instead of him.

*plus i would take Di Natale and Corradi instead of Maresca and Di vaio anytime. and send Camoranesi back home for Marchionni of parma.

Pelizzoli for our 3rd keeper, he has been good this season.

My Idle Formation if and Just if Dp regains form

===============Buffon===============
=Oddo====Ferrari=======Nesta==Zambro==
==================================
=========Gattuso====Pirlo============
==Cassano=======Totti======Del Piero===
===========Vieri====================

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Actually, that was a very common way to play in Europe in the first part of the 20th century. Some teams would even play with 5 forwards.

Exciting stuff. I've seen some videos.

Dec 27, 2003
Anyone remember Zeman's Foggia? They used to align 4 forwards at the same time : Signori-Baiano-Kolyvanov-Rambaudi, supported by Shalimov.

Of course they also used to lose 8-2 to Milan at home...

OP
Catenaccio

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    Actually 4 forwards is not as absurd as you may originally think.

Lippi experimented with this...i.e Miccoli, Nedved, Del Piero, Trez. (I know Nedved is not a forward but he can be and plays a similar role to Totti).

Given that DP, Cassano and Totti are not centre forwards but number 10s or semi-playmakers....I don't think its is such a bad idea.

The problem is though.....for this to work....you really need to stick with it for a while so that these 4 forwards get to know how to get used to this system.....once they get used to it....it would be truly irresistable.

If we did play that system, I would not play Oddo at right back....I'd have someone more defensive like Ferrari because Cassano is not used to doing much defensive work.

i.e If we use 4 forwards:

---------------Buffon-------------------

Ferrari---Canna---Nesta---Zambro

---------Gattusso---Pirlo-------------

---Cassano---Totti---Del Piero-----

----------------Vieri--------------------

I hope Trap sticks to the 4-2-3-1 this time and doesn't change the system at the last minute like he did at WC02.

Jan 7, 2004
    The problem is though.....for this to work....you really need to stick with it for a while so that these 4 forwards get to know how to get used to this system.....once they get used to it....it would be truly irresistable.

I hope Trap sticks to the 4-2-3-1 this time and doesn't change the system at the last minute like he did at WC02.

one thing trap isnt good at is stickin to things

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    Actually 4 forwards is not as absurd as you may originally think.

Lippi experimented with this...i.e Miccoli, Nedved, Del Piero, Trez. (I know Nedved is not a forward but he can be and plays a similar role to Totti).

Given that DP, Cassano and Totti are not centre forwards but number 10s or semi-playmakers....I don't think its is such a bad idea.

If we did play that system, I would not play Oddo at right back....I'd have someone more defensive like Ferrari because Cassano is not used to doing much defensive work.

i.e If we use 4 forwards:

---------------Buffon-------------------

Ferrari---Canna---Nesta---Zambro

---------Gattusso---Pirlo-------------

---Cassano---Totti---Del Piero-----

----------------Vieri--------------------

:eek: :thumb:

Beautiful. If Italy plays this formation, we would rip apart ANY defense. Our average goals/game scoring ratio for the tournament would be like 3+ for sure.

Can't Wait :devil:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    i'll be ready for graham to come and tell me that i blindly barrack for EPL players,but anyway.

dont you think that Cudicini is better than Antonioli.i dont know about De sanctis much.but i'm sure Cudicini is better than antonioli.

PS:the on form cudicini.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    What's the point in bringing up my name when nobody's talking about me? I wasn't going to say that at all. Who's stirring $#!^ now? :rolleyes:

I think Cudicini's easily one of the finest keepers in the EPL. I get no Serie A coverage, so I don't know how good Antonioli is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)