Atletico Sign Aguero Among Others (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Atletico sign Argentine prodigy Aguero

By Simon Baskett

MADRID, May 3O (Reuters) - Atletico Madrid have signed Argentine striker Sergio Aguero from Independiente on a six-year contract, the Primera Liga club said on Tuesday.

Spanish media reported that Atletico would pay a fee in the region of 20 million euros ($25.75 million) for the 17-year-old who is rated one of the most exciting prospects in Argentina.

ADVERTISEMENT
Atletico said they had closed the deal with Independiente and that the player would be presented to the media after undergoing a medical.

If the figures are correct Aguero would become Atletico's most expensive player.

The club's previous biggest signings were Christian Vieri and Juninho who both cost reported fees of $19.3 million in 1997, the Italian striker moving from Juventus and the Brazilian midfielder from Middlesbrough.

Aguero has made a huge impact in his first professional season, narrowly missing out on selection for Argentina's World Cup squad after coach Jose Pekerman resisted popular pressure to include him.

Diego Maradona told Spanish television station Cuatro on Monday that he believed Aguero was on a par with Barcelona's Argentine forward Lionel Messi.

"The fact that people haven't seen much of him in Europe means he hasn't got the exposure that Messi has had," Maradona said. "But Aguero is just as good."

It was a busy day for Atletico who also signed Greek international fullback Georgios Seitaridis and Portuguese midfielder Costinha from Dynamo Moscow.

Seitaridis, a member of the Greek side that won Euro 2004, has agreed a four-year contract, while Costinha, who won the Champions League and UEFA Cup with Porto, has agreed a two-year deal.

Atletico have undergone a major overhaul since finishing a disappointing 10th in the Primera Liga this season.

They have appointed Mexican Javier Aguirre, who led unfancied Osasuna into the Champions League with a record-equalling fourth-place finish, to replace Pepe Murcia as coach.

They have brought in ex-Real Sociedad coach Jose Maria Amorrortu and former Valencia sporting director Jesus Garcia Pitarch. They also signed Portuguese central defender Ze Castro and Argentine left back Mariano Pernia.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-aguero&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Will this push Atletico Madrid to the next level? They certainly aren't short on effort, however they always seemingly come up short on the La Liga table. Atletico is surely packed with class now:

Leo Franco

Seitaridis - Pablo - Perea - Lopez

Costinha - Luccin

Aguero - Rodriguez

Kezman - Torres

Nice to see Aguero choose Atletico over Liverpool. :tup:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Geof

May 14, 2004
Never seen Aguero play, but everything I heard from him was pure adoration. I hope he meets the expectations.

Is Torres still wanted by many clubs?

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Geof said:
Never seen Aguero play, but everything I heard from him was pure adoration. I hope he meets the expectations.

Is Torres still wanted by many clubs?

who cares about torres, kun will give torres a good spanking for athletico, kun has to be the best youth player ive ever seen

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Damn it, I wanted him badly at Juve to replace Neddy. :( He can learn and become so much better than him.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Seitaridis, Costinha and Aguero are quality signings. They missed out on Rosicky but Aguero and Costinha should make up for that in the midfield department. Plus, they've already got Maxi Rodriguez and Martin Petrov.

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
With Torres as their striker, I always wanted Carlos Tevez to be his partner and Aguero as a playmaker or forward. Seriously, that would be the greatest attack in the world in the years to come. Costina in the midfield is good as well.

--C.Tevez---Torres---

---------Aguero-------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)