Athletes and their beliefs (3 Viewers)

Apr 12, 2004
If americans dont care then why do they celebrate Independence Day every year looking desperatley to show they have some history. And Independence Day is such a fucking cop out. Its a day Americans celebrate the founding fathers signing the decleration of independence:sergio: , whats the fucking point in celebrating that? The english didnt realise that fighting the first civil war in America was causing a massive deficit in the treasury for another year when they decided to give up. Why not celebrate that fucking date? eurgh.
Well, that was the day we officially became a country, holmes.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
ßüякε;2094161 said:
Well, that was the day we officially became a country, holmes.
No it isnt, its the day some guys signed a contract to say they were commited to fighting a war against the english because they didnt want to pay tax to the crown, you were a country about 100 years before that.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
ßüякε;2094358 said:
Dude, when we signed the Constitution then. Or more precisely when Alaska and Hawai'i joined the Union in the 1920's after WWII...

Some people think it was after prohibition during the 60's, but they are wrong.
seriously?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Interesting statement.

so all those scientists who believed in Religion were detromental to the progress of humanity?

was Einstein one? what about Ibn Firnas? or how about Avicenna (ibn sina)?
Einstein was a very liberal Jew. Religion was a minimal affair at best.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Interesting statement.

so all those scientists who believed in Religion were detromental to the progress of humanity?

was Einstein one? what about Ibn Firnas? or how about Avicenna (ibn sina)?
What about Galen? Who if given access to human corpses could have discovered modern medicine 1500 years before it actually was. OR the baghdad battery? IIRC Einstein was actually agnostic he was jewish by birth and that clung to him.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Einstein was a very liberal Jew. Religion was a minimal affair at best.
It a was an affair nonetheless, buddy.

What about Galen? Who if given access to human corpses could have discovered modern medicine 1500 years before it actually was. OR the baghdad battery? IIRC Einstein was actually agnostic he was jewish by birth and that clung to him.
Irrelevant. You made quite a bold statement () and I proved that that statement is false. I can present alot more scientists that were religious and were the reasons we have advanced as far as we are now. Einstein and Ibn Sina were just 2 examples.

Jan 7, 2004
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man. (Albert Einstein)

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. (Albert Einstein)​

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
that's not at all the religion that me, and most likely 7, have a problem with
I've already told you that I am not a religious person and do not believe one one true religion. My point was to prove jasper wrong. I think that he says that religion is a problem for Humanity is wrong. Because imo Religion is invented by humans, so in the end it it humans who are are slowing down Humanity's progression. This is due to the fact that some of us let greed and other emotions cloud rational judgement.

Jun 26, 2007
I've already told you that I am not a religious person and do not believe one one true religion. My point was to prove jasper wrong. I think that he says that religion is a problem for Humanity is wrong. Because imo Religion is invented by humans, so in the end it it humans who are are slowing down Humanity's progression. This is due to the fact that some of us let greed and other emotions cloud rational judgement.
South Park has a brilliant episode about that...

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009

So you basically entirely agree with me?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
do you agree that Humanity is what is stopping humanity from advancing?
Of course. Religion is part of the human nature. It's very good for creating groups for instance. Us against them. Believers versus non believers. And in a society it is/was important to have groups. But in a modern society there are better social activities. A football team is a better group than a religion. Yes, your local pub team is better than your imam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)