Athletes and their beliefs (12 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Ofcourse it affected him.. and yeah he played badly under that period..

This year we have more depth in midfield so we will be fine even if Sissoko is injured or are in bad form during the fast.

But I really hope he will be injuryfree and that he can play good during ramadan even if he would choose to fast.
Then let Diego go out and party like Adriano the night before matches. After all, we do have Giovinco ready to step in if Diego is too drunk or hungover to play.

But wait, my mistake. Partying is not an acceptable religion even though it is partaking in life, living to one's standards as a human being.

Nothing is as sacred as fasting for something one cannot even prove exists.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I don't understand how you guys explain the other 12-13 years of his footballing career. Was he not fasting during those years? How did he manage to get where he is today if Ramadan effects him so much? If this was a reoccuring problem I would see your point but it's not.

edit: Meh, why do I even bother.
So basically, you're calling Sissoko a liar.

I mean, even he said it was a problem himself. HE SAID IT HIMSELF!

Now, either Sissoko really does have a problem fasting while playing for the team, or he is a liar.

It's your choice, Tahir. He could be a lying Muslim.

Fellas

Farsopoli
Jun 13, 2005
Then let Diego go out and party like Adriano the night before matches. After all, we do have Giovinco ready to step in if Diego is too drunk or hungover to play.

But wait, my mistake. Partying is not an acceptable religion even though it is partaking in life, living to one's standards as a human being.

Nothing is as sacred as fasting for something one cannot even prove exists.
:lol: ok I said that it affected him.. but what can we do? It's his choice..

The only thing I said was that we have more cover for him this year..
And that has nothing to do with the fast.. We missed him alot last season when he was injured. This year we have cover. That doesen't meen that I want Sissoko in bad form or injured.

I hope all our players are injury free and stays in shape all year;)..

But it's nice to know that we have cover if shit happens.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
So basically, you're calling Sissoko a liar.

I mean, even he said it was a problem himself. HE SAID IT HIMSELF!

Now, either Sissoko really does have a problem fasting while playing for the team, or he is a liar.

It's your choice, Tahir. He could be a lying Muslim.
I didn't mean Sissoko specifically. I meant footballers in general that choose to fast.

Of course Sissoko said it and I believe him. But what else was he supposed to say:

"Sissoko is your fasting affecting your performance?"
"ehh...no I just suck".

Mar 30, 2006
In all fairness a lot of European clubs do think about the Ramadan though. Just like some clubs don't buy African players because of the African Cup of Nation others don't buy muslim players because of Ramadan. This is not discrimination though, as fasting compromises performance.
:lol:
:andyandbarcelona:
Umm that is totally discrimination.

The same way not hiring women because they can get pregnant and would have to take a leave of absence or focus on their families causing them to "compromise" their performance would be.

Or not hiring a man in a wheelchair because he can't walk and his performance has been compromised.

Or if someone has another type of disability..

Actually you can't even fire a drug addict or an alcoholic now and days without a law suit because of claims someone has no control over an addiction and firing them would be discriminating against their disease. People who get fired for such things have often won court cases.

Anyway I doubt you really believe what you are saying. Just trying to cause a dust up :lol:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Yeah perhaps players should all act like robots and just practice, eat, sleep and play football. How dare they even think of having lives or other interests!
That's the career they chose, it urges them to eat and sleep to stay in good shape so they can enjoy a fat paycheck by the end of the month. It's that simple.

And then with the Sissoko thing, alright it is "only" a month but then you have the African Cup also "only" a month and his injury that doesn't seem to end. We have already bought Melo, we have Marchisio and Poulsen...sell him and get D' Agostino.

Mar 30, 2006
That's the career they chose, it urges them to eat and sleep to stay in good shape so they can enjoy a fat paycheck by the end of the month. It's that simple.

And then with the Sissoko thing, alright it is "only" a month but then you have the African Cup also "only" a month and his injury that doesn't seem to end. We have already bought Melo, we have Marchisio and Poulsen...sell him and get D' Agostino.

Sissoko is still one of our best players. We went to hell in a hand basket when he broke his foot last season. Fasting for a month or not he is a great player. Also this year Ramadan ends in like mid September so it wont hurt us too much.

As for african cup that is the known problem with signing african players. Mourinho has said it countless times but in the end if the player adds to the team then it is worth doing. Plus Mali suck and dont go far.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
How's the scheduling of the African Cup in his control? Blame it on FIFA & UEFA for not regulating that shit.
No one said it's in his control. It is a period where he'll be away, just like when fasting and just like when he's injured.

He is injured now and won't start the season, then comes Ramadan (an absence of his choice) and then comes the African Cup. These are factors that affect the team whether it were his choice or the African football federation.

Apr 12, 2004
:lol:
:andyandbarcelona:
Umm that is totally discrimination.

The same way not hiring women because they can get pregnant and would have to take a leave of absence or focus on their families causing them to "compromise" their performance would be.

Or not hiring a man in a wheelchair because he can't walk and his performance has been compromised.

Or if someone has another type of disability..

Actually you can't even fire a drug addict or an alcoholic now and days without a law suit because of claims someone has no control over an addiction and firing them would be discriminating against their disease. People who get fired for such things have often won court cases.

Anyway I doubt you really believe what you are saying. Just trying to cause a dust up :lol:
Thank you for saying religion is a disability.
How's the scheduling of the African Cup in his control? Blame it on FIFA & UEFA for not regulating that shit.
How does UEFA control Africa?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
If every player is to miss one third of the season (even if it were not that long) it will add up to be very very long, trust me on that. And it's not that Sissoko is our most important player to accept his absence for a "not that long" period.

Mar 30, 2006
There seem to be alot of good muslim players around but I have not heard much talk about this issue. Maybe many of them dont fast but maybe we are over exaggerating the impact it has.

players such as: Ribery, Van Persie, Kanoute, Muntari, M. Diarra, Tuncay, Anelka, Nihat other turk players and players from muslim countries ... there are so many yet you dont hear much talk of Ramadan being a problem.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
ßüякε;2084283 said:
Thank you for saying religion is a disability.

How does UEFA control Africa?
They don't. I meant that since these players play in UEFA and it is a concern for the teams there they should push FIFA into fixing the scheduling conflict.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)