Athletes and their beliefs (43 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I can definatly remember reading about Momo saying that he did fast and that his performances would improve after he finished fasting.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Momo admits September struggle
Wednesday 24 September, 2008
Juventus midfielder Momo Sissoko has revealed that he is finding it tough to give his best on the pitch during Ramadan.

The Mali international is a practising Muslim and is forbidden from eating during daylight hours during the month of September.

Sissoko admitted that it is hard to balance his religious beliefs with his profession while he was at Liverpool and feels his form at Juve has also been affected.

“It's a shame because I know that I didn't give my usual contribution against Cagliari as I was so very tired,” Sissoko told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Everyone is different. Last year I had just recovered from meningitis and an ankle injury so I couldn't observe Ramadan.

“But Ramadan is a duty and certainly not a form of torture, Italy is a multi-cultural society and it's nice that everyone is welcome.”

Sissoko is still expected to start against Catania this evening along

side Marco Marchionni, Claudio Marchisio and Pavel Nedved.

that article was from channel4

Gotte

Mar 21, 2009
Let him fast! Who cares if he does? The team doesn't go under and we have great players who can replace Momo if he can't manage to play during Ramadan.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Let him fast! Who cares if he does? The team doesn't go under and we have great players who can replace Momo if he 't manage to play during Ramadan.
Give me a freakin' break.

How about we let the players go out and get plastered off of their faces before the matches? I mean, I'm sure some don't drink, so we can go and replace the players who drink with ones who don't. Personally, I like to drink during Ramadan and I'm sure there are other players who do so as well.

Let them do whatever they want. :lol:

Gotte

Mar 21, 2009
Give me a freakin' break.

How about we let the players go out and get plastered off of their faces before the matches? I mean, I'm sure some don't drink, so we can go and replace the players who drink with ones who don't. Personally, I like to drink during Ramadan and I'm sure there are other players who do so as well.

Let them do whatever they want. :lol:

:sergio: Not the same thing, not even close.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Dunno what to say...

But okey, I respect your strange religion...
What you should say is yes, not taking proper care of your body while being a paid professional for a football club is wrong. You are paid to play for the team, and whether it be fasting or getting drunk before matches, it's simply not professional. One can concoct any stupid reason they want, but if it's a stupid religious reason for fasting, not showing up for matches, or other absurdities, it just has to be respected because it's "religion."

If people want to practice their religion, do it on their own time, not the my time or your time or the team's time. What Sissoko is doing by fasting is basically forcing his religion on the team, and that is unacceptable.

I love Sissoko and all, but he should refuse to play and take a pay cut if he wants to practice his religion on the team's time.

Gotte

Mar 21, 2009
What you should say is yes, not taking proper care of your body while being a paid professional for a football club is wrong. You are paid to play for the team, and whether it be fasting or getting drunk before matches, it's simply not professional. One can concoct any stupid reason they want, but if it's a stupid religious reason for fasting, not showing up for matches, or other absurdities, it just has to be respected because it's "religion."

If people want to practice their religion, do it on their own time, not the my time or your time or the team's time. What Sissoko is doing by fasting is basically forcing his religion on the team, and that is unacceptable.

I love Sissoko and all, but he should refuse to play and take a pay cut if he wants to practice his religion on the team's time.

Okey. That's your opinion and I respect it but I can't agree with you. Take a pay cut just because of Ramadan? Don't think so. I can understand your anger if the half team would fast but it's only one player and it's just one month! As I said earlier, we have good player who can make a great job instead of Momo and it doesn't harm the team that much just because one single player fast. Last year when he took part in Ramadan he did play, maybe not his best, but he did play and that prove he can do that again if Ferrara wants it. If not, bench him. What's the problem?

May 21, 2009

The club should have been aware of the consequences of buying a player who is a Muslim and prays during Ramadan, in fact I think they already took this into consideration before going for Momo in the market.

Ramadan is an important pillar of Islam, and for a Muslim, Islam is the main priority in life. This means that you simply can't expect Sissoko to skip fasting, it's an obligation for him and every Muslim in the world. And besides, it's not as if he doesn't participate in the matches, he is still giving 120% despite maybe being in a slightly worse shape than the others.

If Ciro doesn't want him to play during Ramadan then that's fine. And if the club would want him to take a pay cut, then this would have already been discussed before even signing a contract with him.

So in conclusion, you really can't blame Sissoko for this whole thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 43)