Athens 2004 - Cassano and Buffon go for gold? (2 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Cassano and Buffon go for gold?
Wednesday 7 July, 2004

Italy are preparing for the 2004 Olympic games and Antonio Cassano, Gianluigi Buffon and Matteo Ferrari could be drafted in.

The senior squad may have flopped at Euro 2004, but Claudio Gentile’s Under-21 side are the reigning European Champions after winning the trophy in May.

That result also qualified them for the Athens Olympics this coming August, giving Gentile the opportunity to bring along three over-age players.

At first the combination of Francesco Totti and Antonio Cassano had been suggested, but it’s claimed new Italy Coach Marcello Lippi would prefer the Roma captain to be at his disposal for the World Cup qualifiers in early September.

Cassano is a predictable choice for the expedition, as he was a part of the Under-21 side before a bitter row with Gentile and his move to the senior squad.

The forward has matured in recent months and is ready to accept this challenge with his former Azzurrini teammates.

Matteo Ferrari is also a recent Under-21 alumni and would reunite with his Parma partner Daniele Bonera in central defence.

The one really weak point in Italy’s Championship-winning campaign was in goal, as Marco Amelia made several mistakes during the tournament. This is why the experience of Gianluigi Buffon could prove decisive in Athens.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    Yeah I feel sorry for the guy :down:

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
    How on earth does a goalie get overloaded? Maybe mentally, but not physically...

Unless of course, he gets injured. That would be a huge disaster...
    Good question, I haven't thought of that! :D Heavy practice I guess will make him tired.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Because national teams normally practice on a daily basis right before the tournament. Sometimes even twice a day.

And yes, during the games Italian goalkeeper should put up a table and have his dinner.

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
    why not take vieri..??!! he's a top striker.. he can score shitloads of goals.. specially headers.. :lazy:
    Vieri !! After his form in Euro 2004 !! I don't think so

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)