Arsenal Have Signed Reyes (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Wenger makes shock Reyes signing
Tuesday January 27, 2004

Arsenal have smashed their transfer record by signing Sevilla starlet Jose Antonio Reyes for £16.6m.

Reyes, 20, who has signed a four-and-a-half-year contract, confirmed the news on his personal website, www.joseantonioreyes.com.

"I'm the happiest man and the saddest man in the world at the same time," he said. "I'm leaving the best team in Spain to join the best team in England."

Reyes, who can play as a second striker or a winger, has long been regarded as one of the best young talents in Spain. Indeed, Madrid sports daily Marca recently described him as "quite simply, a superstar. Dribbling, magic, vision and goals wrapped in one. With Reyes, the spectacular is guaranteed."

His manager Joaquín Caparrós is equally impressed, saying: "He thinks nothing of taking on four or five rivals".

Arsene Wenger had been rumoured to be interested in signing Reyes, who made his international debut for Spain against Portugal in the autumn, last year - but his interest was thought to have cooled when Reyes agreed a contract to keep him in Sevilla until 2010.

Now, however, Wenger has got his man after all.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
he's a good player, now I don't remember exactly if he was left midfielder
or right during the games I've seen him play with Sevilla... But if it's
left winger then VICENTE is much better! :p

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
He sounds promising for Arsenal, and as long as they win the Prem this year - I'll be pleased. :D
Maybe Reyes can help them along that route..

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
Van Persie isn't going then! :extatic:
A very positive spin to put on it, Erik. :D

If Wenger think's he's worth big money like that, especially with Arsenal a bit short of handy cash, then I can't wait to see him in action. I wonder how much he'll play, and how immediate an impact he'll make?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
It's hard to say. Reyes will have to either compete with Pires and Henry, which is no easy thing to do, or else he'll start in place of one of them or as Henry's strike partner.

Pires isn't quite the player he was before he did his knee ligament, but he's close, and all he needs is a good run of form. I can't see him wanting to leave.

Henry doesn't want out - he's signed a contract this year, and he's very much at home as Arsenal's icon. The only thing I can suggest is that Wenger is hedging his bets against a Madrid or Chelsea bid he can't refuse.

Finally, we have the striker partner option. It's kind of wierd to suggest that a withdrawn striker can partner Henry, who's a withdrawn striker himself, but Bergkamp will leave the club this summer, either into retirement, or to a Dutch club for a year or two; Kanu has already been given a free (I think), and Wiltord is leaving on a Bosman. All that means that Henry and Aliarde (an untried but talented French youngster) will be it as far as a strike force goes. Reyes may be filling that gap.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
The one minor problem is that he could arrive with a one-match suspension hanging over him if the ban is transferred from Spain to England.

Then again, as his new manager, Arsene Wenger, joked: 'That just makes me think he has all the qualities to be an Arsenal player!'

:D :D

--------------------------

Interesting, I can see a Reyes-Saha duel going on :cool:

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
The one minor problem is that he could arrive with a one-match suspension hanging over him if the ban is transferred from Spain to England.

Then again, as his new manager, Arsene Wenger, joked: 'That just makes me think he has all the qualities to be an Arsenal player!'

:D :D
:LOL: Wenger is the best...

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Great news!!!

I bet he's going to be as hot as C.Ronaldo now in the EPL.

:LOL: DPforever did Wenger really say that?:eek::D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by juvelover ] ++
is he that good ?

i predicted that wenger will not buy a stricker as he always says i hate goal scorers (such as trez , viery , van nisterlooy)
He isnt a goalscorer,plus he isnt the Trez,Vieri,RVN type,so its not much of a surprise.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)