Arsenal Football Club : Records & Trophies (1 Viewer)

Huzi

Oct 9, 2002
The received wisdom in football is that a team is at its most vulnerable immediately after scoring a goal. By extension, having just gone through a season unbeaten to claim the Premiership crown in style, Arsenal should be ripe for the taking. Certainly they have struggled to reassert themselves the season after winning the title on four occasions in the last 15 years. But Arsene Wenger knows the Premiership is getting ever tougher and more competitive, and should have his squad mentally prepared for the battles to come. They are probably the best side in the country, but in football you need to prove that every week. Wenger’s ambition will be to retain the title (no Arsenal side has done so since 1935), and finally make a real impression in the Champions League by winning it. Going forward the Gunners are peerless in England, while defensively they improved dramatically last season. Wenger’s formula relies on power, pace and swift inter-passing. In the League last season it cut good teams to ribbons, with ace striker Thierry Henry the spearhead, usually bursting in from the flank to devastating effect. His appetite should be sharp after France’s disappointing Euro 2004, but the North London giants are currently hoping that Henry’s compatriot Patrick Vieira is not tempted by Real Madrid’s siren calls and remains to lead the club into another potentially successful season. The Gunners" European challenge should inspire the skipper. As champions, especially unbeaten ones, Arsenal are there to be shot at, and any hint of complacency or lack of hunger will be swiftly and ruthlessly exposed by their rivals. But Wenger’s Gunners are the history men, and retaining the title and/or winning the European Cup would certainly write new pages in the club’s history. With an awesome new stadium taking shape a few hundred yards from Highbury, and a thrilling team on the pitch, these are good times for Gooners. But they’ll still have to work at it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

River

Jun 15, 2004
I dont think Arsenal will make it in the CL this season. They have shown they just arent cut out for it.

As for Viera. If Arsenal lose him it will be a disaster. Expect more to follow him out the door.

But yeah Arsenal favs to win league again this season

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
I dont think Arsenal will make it in the CL this season. They have shown they just arent cut out for it.

As for Viera. If Arsenal lose him it will be a disaster. Expect more to follow him out the door.

But yeah Arsenal favs to win league again this season
That right there is the best statement you have posted here on this forum. :D

It is very clear to me that Arsenal are not capable of winning the Champions League. Their style of play is too direct, and they leave their defenders stranded multiple times. Not to mention the willingness to just let Henry do all the work, which he can't always do against the better teams of Europe.

I find it hard to believe that we'll see any English team lift that trophy anytime soon.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Give Chelsea 2 years and its coming home to River ;)
Bah. I can't even see that happening. Too much hostility at the Bridge I think. That is, I'm not sure if the team can gel together with so many "top" players.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Give Chelsea 2 years and its coming home to River ;)
i dont think Arsenal can win the CL just yet,but they defenitly have a better chance than Chelsea:stuckup:

;)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
there's too much pressure on both arsenal and chelsea.imo it'd be for their own good to lose the opening match of the epl season and stop worrying about that unbeaten tag.

chelsea,meanwhile,have all eyes on them.succeeding at the highest level will be hard.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
there's too much pressure on both arsenal and chelsea.imo it'd be for their own good to lose the opening match of the epl season and stop worrying about that unbeaten tag.
It's not like any team's gonna go unbeaten for a season again in a very long time. Slightly risky thing to say on my part I know, but I honestly can't see it happening again

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Huzi ] ++
The received wisdom in football is that a team is at its most vulnerable immediately after scoring a goal. By extension, having just gone through a season unbeaten to claim the Premiership crown in style, Arsenal should be ripe for the taking. Certainly they have struggled to reassert themselves the season after winning the title on four occasions in the last 15 years. But Arsene Wenger knows the Premiership is getting ever tougher and more competitive, and should have his squad mentally prepared for the battles to come. They are probably the best side in the country, but in football you need to prove that every week. Wenger’s ambition will be to retain the title (no Arsenal side has done so since 1935), and finally make a real impression in the Champions League by winning it. Going forward the Gunners are peerless in England, while defensively they improved dramatically last season. Wenger’s formula relies on power, pace and swift inter-passing. In the League last season it cut good teams to ribbons, with ace striker Thierry Henry the spearhead, usually bursting in from the flank to devastating effect. His appetite should be sharp after France’s disappointing Euro 2004, but the North London giants are currently hoping that Henry’s compatriot Patrick Vieira is not tempted by Real Madrid’s siren calls and remains to lead the club into another potentially successful season. The Gunners" European challenge should inspire the skipper. As champions, especially unbeaten ones, Arsenal are there to be shot at, and any hint of complacency or lack of hunger will be swiftly and ruthlessly exposed by their rivals. But Wenger’s Gunners are the history men, and retaining the title and/or winning the European Cup would certainly write new pages in the club’s history. With an awesome new stadium taking shape a few hundred yards from Highbury, and a thrilling team on the pitch, these are good times for Gooners. But they’ll still have to work at it.
:yawn:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

It's not like any team's gonna go unbeaten for a season again in a very long time. Slightly risky thing to say on my part I know, but I honestly can't see it happening again
i don't think it could happen again soon either,and certainly not with this arsenal team.

they'll just have the pressure of living up to last season's achievenments.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
we're not as bad as you think we are,we might suck in europe,but look how we've dominated the EPL.
What's this? Weasel admitting that Arsenal have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the Champs League? :D

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
we're not as bad as you think we are,we might suck in europe,but look how we've dominated the EPL.
The only team thats dominated the EPl is man united and you know it. Winning it every few years is not dominating by any stretch of the imagination.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)