Antonio Candreva (21 Viewers)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Ledesma and Candreva don't play the same position. The former plays further back.

We needed to address the regista role and a replacement for Camo beforehand, which is why I'm relatively unamused by this move.

The supposed "bashing" isn't directed towards him, but rather the board for not addressing the other areas of the team.
I've heard of him playing regista well. I'd blame Zach for not using him correctly but its hard when we're missing players who would usually play in the 3 man midfield (Tiago, Poulsen). I badly want Zach to try him as regista in a 4-2-3-1 soon.

That aside I like him a lot. I see potential, he has the right ideas. He's a very good passer, exactly what we're missing right now.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I'd need to see more out of him consistently to call him a "very" good passer of the ball. And he's more of a box to box midfielder than a deep-lying playmaker in my view.

What I do like about Candreva is that he has urgency in his step. Whenever he receives the ball he takes a couple of quick touches while looking for a pass, keeping his own pace of play quick. He doesn't really dally on the ball which is a good thing for us.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I'd need to see more out of him consistently to call him a "very" good passer of the ball. And he's more of a box to box midfielder than a deep-lying playmaker in my view.

What I do like about Candreva is that he has urgency in his step. Whenever he receives the ball he takes a couple of quick touches while looking for a pass, keeping his own pace of play quick. He doesn't really dally on the ball which is a good thing for us.
Its Candrevas versatility thats the reason for all the hype. So we'll see.

No doubt. That's exactly what we need to see. Urgent, even one touch passing. That's what we did against Samp.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
He's not a regista. He's an advanced midfielder, like say.. Lampard. Zaccheroni used him exactly in this role. I liked his performance.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
One of the best performers yesterday. Good passing, always try to move the ball forward and not afraid of having long range shots when needed.

Well done, Antonio :tup:

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I want to add that I like how Candreva wasn't afraid to show himself. Marchisio is our most succesful and loved talent, but one flaw in Marchisio's game is his inability to really be a (very) dominant presence. Marchisio's a quiet player.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
He had a fine game yesterday. Moved the ball well, helped the flow of the game run smoother, his passing is accurate. Only faults were he lost the ball from dribbiling a couple times. He works his butt off and runs all over the pitch, I like that because we now have a complete hard working trio willing to blow their lungs to get back and help out.

Not to mention he isn't afraid to have a crack on goal. Between he and Diego doing this I expect (should he continue to play) more chances on goal if not more goals either from the shot itself or our strikers there to bury the lose ball.

OP
Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #514
    Ledesma and Candreva don't play the same position. The former plays further back.

We needed to address the regista role and a replacement for Camo beforehand, which is why I'm relatively unamused by this move.

The supposed "bashing" isn't directed towards him, but rather the board for not addressing the other areas of the team.
    We were after somebody who can create chances, yet be decent in defense. Somebody who can pass and who has a shot. That was supposed to be Tiago's role. To add more dynamic.

It was Gago, Ledesma or Candreva. We made a smart move because we needed someone there.

People should not forget it's a loan deal and it can't be a bad move anyhow. He looks very promising so this can only look for us. We can't rely on Marchisio-Sissoko-Melo to play till the end of the season.

Camo's replacement? It's much more complicated than that. We just got a new coach and his job is to get us into top 4. It's obvious he doesn't have any money at his disposal. If we're counting on some WC coach to come here in the summer we shouldn't make any move because he's going to make that team. We don't know which formation to play now, so we'll continue with this squad.

Benitez (or whoever) will decide what and where. So far we just made this move that can't affect our budget but only help us. Even if we had more money now, nobody would sell their players for low amount of :money:. We could only get Marchionni v2 which would be stupid.

I think we played the right cards now, saving money and not destroying plans for our potentially new coach in the summer.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
    Aug 17, 2007
    He had a fine game yesterday. Moved the ball well, helped the flow of the game run smoother, his passing is accurate. Only faults were he lost the ball from dribbiling a couple times. He works his butt off and runs all over the pitch, I like that because we now have a complete hard working trio willing to blow their lungs to get back and help out.

Not to mention he isn't afraid to have a crack on goal. Between he and Diego doing this I expect (should he continue to play) more chances on goal if not more goals either from the shot itself or our strikers there to bury the lose ball.
    I thought he was quite weak defensively, if I'm honest. He jogged / ran back but more than once didn't put in enough effort to actually stop a player. It's like he was afraid to get really physical, leaving others to fix it.

Melo had a go at him for letting some Lazio midfielder just walk past him. Melo had to fix it and got booked.

He's obviously not a DM like Momo or Melo, but he still needs to make certain interceptions when playing in that line of 3.

Suns

Release clause?
    May 22, 2009
    Candreva was a Serie B player as a regista and a part of Azzurri when he was a trequartista. What do we choose? Obviously the Serie B version of Candreva.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    Candreva was better this time this role/system fits him better!
    He still has a lot to learn and s long way to go, in order to adapt. But he is si eager to learn, adapt and prove himself! Good thing, that he has decided to stop trying those horrible shoots and preferred a run a couple of times.

Our midfield is way too static and hopefully he will add some pace.
    His passing may not be great, but its decent and this can hardly be said for the majority of our midfielders. From this perspective, he is a an upgrade.

I m still puzzled from his future role though, he is not effective enough offensively to replace Diego and Camo or defensive enough, to replace Sissoko and Melo.

Why is he picked up in front of Giovinco?
    And why would consider him as a squad player, when Poulsen and Marchisio will return? Whats the reason we brought him? I thought he was to replace Camo in the 4-2-3-1 AMF line or replace Marchisio, until the later returns on form.
    What exactly do you guys hope from him, beyond that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)