Antonio Candreva (18 Viewers)

Dec 31, 2008
at least they were world champ. :) and they are playing in their own country and own league.
dude there is nothing like homegrown players being advantageous nowadays. Just look at Barca or the EPL teams. And them being world champions, check their recent record and you will not want an Italian in your team

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Probably, which is not surprising nor anything bad.

He's still a 'kid' who has a chance to get signed by Juve. Something like that occupies his head pretty often.
So how do you think was more nervous in the pic? Candreva or Ciro? :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Oh man, how typical to read the typical BS of "this was sanctioned by Lippi, OMG hijacked by Azzurri" yet again. I mean, its SO novel, that we, Juventus sign an up and coming italian youngster, its not like it hasnt been the policy of this club for its entire history (and has had many of our legends come like this), discovering younger unproven italian talents from smaller teams and them making their mark with us (instead of producing them perse, except rare cases).

I mean FFS, Candreva has 1 frigging Azzurri call up, in a game where half of the decent players in smaller teams were called up. So seriously, save the lame sanctioned by Azzurri BS (and like its automatically a bad thing, to be an Azzurri player, what one should judge on solely if the player can be useful or not).
Sure, but do we really need Candreva. Do we? More than other positions?

No, we don't. So the suspicion that this deal is not in our best interest right now isn't so far fetched. And with Lippi hanging around every other day at the club, you have to wonder.

If they would have signed Ranocchia for instance, it would make more sense.

(not sure how one should be yet, seen him play? How about you do so first)
The only BS here is you continuing to use this as an argument, Osman. Yes, people have seen him before, he plays in Serie A and for the Azzurrini and Azzurri for fuck's sake.

Jasp

Mar 19, 2009
Sure, but do we really need Candreva. Do we? More than other positions?
Yes, we might just need him that much. Yes our defense looks like some girlscoouts lost in Harlem by night, but the solution is not clear cut and it would be wrong to blame of defensive problems solely on the defense.

Our major problem - and has been since things started to go wrong - is that we are unable to keep the ball and create chances. Our midfield is running aound like headless chickens and are not able to pass the ball.

Defense is not getting help, nor that many calm periods. If we could just move the play 10 meters forward, and keep the ball a lot of pressure would be allieved for the defense. Candreva might not be the solution - but his type of player is. I view him as box to box midfielder or an AM that can tackle. My hope is that we get a 4312 midfield which can play a litlle more ball, thus helping Diego. We even get another option for the 4231 formation, if i've read some of the posts correct.

I THINK fixing the midfield will fix a major part of the defensive problems. And I think the bayern game was the clearest evidence of that. I dare you to find three consecutive passes between our five man midfield. Thats FIVE players and still we could pass the ball around. When that is said, I also think that we need reinforcements in the Defense. Caceres can develop into a good player, and off course Chiellini. Rest needs to be changed.

Anyways... isn't Ranocchia having some knee problems?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Andy: People who admit they barely seen him (not many here saw Azzurrini, and Livorno game one might seen is barely any but the Juve and Inter game at best prolly) say he is the new Tiago AND is barely average. I get not being excited or being sold, cautious about it, but being absolute about him in opinion already is pretty weird. I mean, how hard is it to have little patience, see him for yourself, and THEN judge? Especially as its a loan, virtually zero risk at all.

And how hard is it to get? Its obvious we wont sign a defender in mid season, Ciro and the board obviously will go on with the full set we have for the season, and THEN re-evaluate the defence in the summer (regardless of what we think). We are signing a midfielder now not only because basically ALL regular/semi regular midfielders except Marchisio and the suspended Melo are out injured (we are starting Sali and DC FFS), but also because we shipped out Tiago. Hence we need depth (so yes we NEED him), and we need it ASAP considering our injuries. They were getting a midfielder either way this window, and I prefer they get one who has a potential to be a long term option, then a short term fix we have to get rid of in summer anyways (short term fixes you ALL would have flamed as a disastrous, no doubt), or get stuck with if we buy.

I would be the first to ask for other priorities if this was in the summer, but its January now, and its obvious we wont sign any defenders (we have 8 defenders, unless we sell now, which is not gonna happen, we dont have room for more) Wasnt gonna happen unless too good of an option or possibility came up (that Twente defender Douglas). Rannocchia would have been nice, but even if wasnt injured, I doubt the highflying Bari would be as easy to convince as Livorno (star defender for them), nor would Genoa be as accomodating as Udinese. We already have issue enough with dealing with them with the players we (co) OWN.

Seriously, not everything has to be negative, I get saying you are uncertain about how things will turn out with this, so am I, but I like him as a talent, and there is little to no risk with getting a young midfielder we can use, considering its loan. So whats the big deal?

That Lippi BS is downright silly FFS. As I already said, we have been scouting and signing promising younger italian players throughout our history. Mention any prominent Juve player in the last 30 years, and you can bet we have gotten them from Padova, Atalanta, Lecce, Livorno Parma, Varese, Napoli, Como and so and so on, in between the ages of 18-24 mostly. So yeah, us doing so now with a 22 year old is automatically attributed to some "sinister" Lippi influence (like its a bad thing if he recommend a good youngster, if its a shitty Grosso yes, if its a talented player, mucho gracias), because its somehow totally out of the norm of the club huh? Seriously.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yes, we might just need him that much. Yes our defense looks like some girlscoouts lost in Harlem by night, but the solution is not clear cut and it would be wrong to blame of defensive problems solely on the defense.

Our major problem - and has been since things started to go wrong - is that we are unable to keep the ball and create chances. Our midfield is running aound like headless chickens and are not able to pass the ball.

Defense is not getting help, nor that many calm periods. If we could just move the play 10 meters forward, and keep the ball a lot of pressure would be allieved for the defense. Candreva might not be the solution - but his type of player is. I view him as box to box midfielder or an AM that can tackle. My hope is that we get a 4312 midfield which can play a litlle more ball, thus helping Diego. We even get another option for the 4231 formation, if i've read some of the posts correct.

I THINK fixing the midfield will fix a major part of the defensive problems. And I think the bayern game was the clearest evidence of that. I dare you to find three consecutive passes between our five man midfield. Thats FIVE players and still we could pass the ball around. When that is said, I also think that we need reinforcements in the Defense. Caceres can develop into a good player, and off course Chiellini. Rest needs to be changed.

Anyways... isn't Ranocchia having some knee problems?

Very well said Jasp, summarised what should be the obvious neatly :tup:

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Thursday 21 January, 2010
Blog: Another Juventus gamble
Antonio Candreva is a potential star of the future, but Antonio Labbate questions the timing of his arrival at Juventus

Juventus had to sign someone. It was a must. A club engulfed in a crisis not seen since the promised champagne football of Gigi Maifredi went decidedly flat, their hands were tied when one considers that their most serious Serie A competition all opted for reinforcements this winter.

Inter signed Goran Pandev, Milan recalled David Beckham, Roma borrowed Luca Toni and Fiorentina brought in a trio of new faces. Juventus, having questionably recalled Michele Paolucci to seemingly cover for a one-match suspension of Amauri, yesterday completed the signing of Antonio Candreva.

He’s an interesting player, that is without doubt after his fine early season form at Livorno saw him win international honours in late 2009. But the midfielder, who looks set to debut against hometown club Roma this weekend, will find it tough to live up to the ‘anti-crisis’ headline afforded to him by Turin daily Tuttosport on Thursday.

In some respects, it’s another questionable transfer swoop by the Turin hierarchy. Instead of turning to an established player in a time of need – see Pandev, Beckham and Toni – Juve have gambled on a youngster. “We believe we will be able to count on him in the future,” official Roberto Bettega admitted.

Granted, Juventus do need to bring down the average age of their squad, but planning for the future at this precise moment when there are no guarantees that they will finish in the top four is a dangerous game to play. Qualifying for the Champions League should be their prime concern now.

In Candreva’s favour is his adaptability, which will be of use to Ciro Ferrara’s injury hit squad. He’s able to play across the midfield, in a deep playmaker role or as a No 10, but versatility sometimes has its limitations. Just ask Stefano Fiore, now at Lega Pro side Cosenza, the ultimate jack of all trades but master of none professional.

If you had to pinpoint Candreva’s best position then you’d have to say it was in the hole behind two strikers. Yet even that brings up more questions. Obviously he can be used as an alternative to Diego, but where does that leave Sebastian Giovinco once back from injury? Wasn’t he supposed to be the vice-Diego?

It would be naïve to dismiss Candreva’s potential, but he alone won’t save Juventus this season. He can help out, but if a team with such established names finds itself on the brink of an abyss then it isn’t because they were missing a player who has been benched by Livorno in recent times.

football-italia.net
:tup: :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)