Anglo-Scandalo (The story behind the story) (2 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Boom time sets stage for overseas invasion

ONE by one, Barclays Premiership sides are falling into foreign hands as billionaires take advantage of Britain’s open markets and booming television rights to buy up historic clubs.

Top-flight clubs are looking forward to a two-thirds increase in television income from next season, making the FA Premier League business more attractive than at any time since football clubs were first floated on the Stock Exchange in the mid-1990s.

While Roman Abramovich’s spending spree at Chelsea shows no sign of abating, the Glazer family takeover of Manchester United is rapidly looking like an astute financial decision, giving others hope that they can follow suit.

On the other side are a group of club chairmen — such as Doug Ellis, who relinquished control of Aston Villa last month, or Terence Brown at West Ham United — who know that now is the best time to sell for years, because club finances should remain healthy until the end of the decade. Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, the City bank that advised on Randy Lerner’s takeover of Villa, estimates that clubs’ television income “will increase by £17 to £20 million from next season, which is hugely more advantageous than anybody expected”.

Clubs are in the last year of the existing three-year TV deal, worth about £1.2 billion to the whole league over that period. The new deal is worth £2.1 billion, nearly £700 million a year until 2010, reflecting greater competition for football rights.

At the same time, Chelsea aside, there is a greater financial realism among clubs, who are trying to control wage bills while at the same time boosting revenues through ground investment, as at Arsenal, or simply more careful merchandising, as pioneered by United.

When the Glazers seized control of United, supporters were worried about the high levels of debt the Americans took on, but the improving financial outlook allowed them to slash their interest bill over the summer. Assuming United do not suddenly suffer a total loss of form, the Glazer buy is likely to look very astute indeed.

At the time of the original buyout, the Glazers estimated that United’s turnover at the time of the 2007-08 season would be £232 million. The club are likely to be £20 million better off than that, the kind of sum that makes all the difference between a tight and a healthy profit.

That could reward the long-term fan/investor, particularly as the attendance of English fans can be predicted with something approaching certainty. “Times are simply much better,” Harris said. “In bad times, football clubs have all the liquidity of dumplings in gravy. But now people believe they will soar.”

Overseas investors are also helped by Britain’s easygoing attitude to foreign ownership. Unlike the rest of Europe, there is no tacit attempt to rebuff overseas buyers of high-profile assets.

In Italy and Spain the markets are simply not as open — it is hard to contemplate Juventus without the Agnellis, or Silvio Berlusconi willing to sell out of AC Milan. It helps that Premier League TV rights are sold collectively in a way that assists medium-sized clubs; the disparity in Italy, where rights have been sold individually, is much greater, meaning that medium-sized clubs are not as promising for investors.

It also helps that owning a club has always been seen as a way to buy legitimacy. Abramovich’s exact motivation for buying Chelsea remains unclear, but while other Russian oligarchs have run into trouble with President Putin, Abramovich is now a highly visible figure in the West. It is harder to imagine the Kremlin taking him on.

Meanwhile, wealthy English fans seem unwilling to step up. The home-grown attitude is that football is a good way to lose money. Yet investors such as the Glazer family, or Lerner, have experience — through their investment in American football — of what can be achieved.

It will only take one Leeds United-style disaster to change the mood, but for the moment it is boom time in football, and West Ham are unlikely to be the last Premiership side to attract foreign attention while the financial outlook looks so good.

Our Beautiful Game in Foreign Hands

Sept 2006
Kia Joorabchian (iran) Rumoured to be planning an approach for control of the club £80 million

Why Foreigners Buy Into British Football Clubs

Buoyant TV revenues boost club prospects
British regulations are open to foreign ownership
Owning Premier League clubs buys respectability
Cash-strapped chairmen are willing to sell

FULHAM
Purchased may 1997 Mohammed Al Fayed (Egypt) £30 Million
CHELSEA
Purchased July 2003 Roman Abramovich £140 Million
MANCHESTER UNITED
Purchased may 2005 The Glazer Family (US) £800 Million
PORTSMOUTH
Purchased Jan-July 2006 Alexandre Gadamak (russia) £15 Million for a 50 percent stake in jan, remainder bought in July
ASTON VILLA
Purchased Aug 2006 Randy Learner (US) Proposed deal £63 Million (deal yet to be completed)

By Dan Sabbagh

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Boudz

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
  • Thread Starter #23
    really good stuff guys!!
    Expect a dominance of English football for many years to come. Enjoy it while it lasts

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    I always felt all the frenzy about Glazer's takeover of Man U's was just a sheer xenophobic reaction on the part of British than anything else. Glazer family has shown years of shrewdness running an enterprise like Tampa Bay, and they werent going to blow their wealth on a FC. Just to build on the point made by the article, I think Glazer's ultimate aim is to introduce soccer to the Amercian public. America is easily the market with the most promising growth, and once you penetrate it, it is literally a gold mine. Glazer's obviously thought the appeal of Man U in USA (I am presuming here) compared to other great teams like Real, Juve et al, its base in a English speaking country, and with his connection with the US, he can sell the brand to the American public.

However, I really like to point out double-standard on the part of so called righteous British fans and media. These guys who were once absolutely incensed about foreigners taking over their clubs (if I recall there were quite a suspicion about Abrahomvic at the start), but having since these rich foreigners can do for them, they are literally selling themselves en mass. Moreover, I feel these British people want their chairman not to make money but to spend a lot of dineros for the sake of team a la Abrahmovic. Why all these hate on Glazier? Because fans knows he is not going shell outrageous sums on players like his London counterpart. Here is a point, I am highly doubtful that there are many investors who are willing to fork out more personal wealth than they will receive in return. Most of these buyers are extremely intelligent businessmen with some financial planning ahead and exceptionally shrewd with money. This means that I think a lot of rumors about English domination is not going to materialise, not on the scale of Serie A at least where best team in EPL would have struggled to finish top 10 in late 80s to mid 90s. Obviously, teams like Aston Villa will invest but as rich as Randy Lerner is, he isnt going to authorize Martin O'neill spend reckless amount. I do think Aston Villa will be more competitive, of course, and about time, because it is a magnificent club with prestigious history, but they are not going to challenge for top honours IMO. Ditto, Portsmouth.

I think in the end what will happen with EPL is that there will be many not great but decent teams in the stature of Palermo (Italia), or Villareal (Spain) competiting against each other. There is no doubt EPL will be the most competitive league but I cant see the proliferation of great teams say in Serie A in 80s (In retrospect, I don't think the league with teams like Milan, Juve, Inter, Napoli, Sampdoria, Torino, Lazio, Fiorentina, Roma, Parma will ever be repeated).
    Also lets not forget there is only small amount of teams who can take their place into Europe, which means some of the takeover investment will fail to materialize to bear any decent returns. The fact that revenue sharing should cushion the worst case scenario, but still most of these investors are really looking to take teams into Europe and bring extra expose to sell the brand worldwide. And their valuation of the clubs would have reflected this possibility.

It comes to how that idiot Rossi should have negotiated, as I have said repeatedly over many times on using the Calciopoli scandal, TV revenue sharing deals as part of penalty than relegation. Serie A's real problem is not refereeing or cheating but gross disparity between haves and have nots. As much as bad refereeing was at fault, there were some results which looked suspiciously fixed not by referees but players. Remember us beating Siena but scoring 3 goals in 10mins to help us win lo Scudetto - well the fact that Siena's mainly Juventus loaness doesnt help the competitive spirit of the game. We can't have teams literally burrowing their team its rivals. And we all knows, this is due to disparities in income between teams. On the bright side, I think Serie A will bounce back in 5-10years and as an investor I will hedge my bet that Serie A index is more undervalued than EPL stocks. The matter of fact is Torino, Napoli, Lazio, Fiorentina, Sampdoria have experienced bad governance of unimaginable scale, and there is no way you can run club worse than what these clubs experienced.:D. If only the league can find ways to share revenues more equally to give these fallen giants a foothold to regain their status, and renovate run down stadia's I think Italia will be back. These clubs are just too big, too prestigious, too many global fans around the world to stay where they are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)