Angelo Peruzzi to retire (7 Viewers)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Buffon: Peruzzi a true great
Monday 30 April, 2007

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has hailed Angelo Peruzzi after hearing of his impending retirement.

“I have known Angelo for a long time and we have shared many things together,” the Azzurri No 1 told Sky Italia.

“This is a sad day for the fans and I because he represented Italian football. He is a fantastic person and a great goalkeeper.

“Together we have been through the last World Cup and the European Championship in Portugal. Every now and then I thought that having a ‘keeper like him on the bench was a waste.

“He is a true great on and off the pitch, and even if I was the regular in the Nazionale I felt sorry for him. It’s so unfair that someone like him never had the chance to play a full World Cup,” revealed Buffon.

“The truth after all is this – he never played a World Cup as first choice and I believe Angelo fully deserved it,” concluded the former Parma ace.

Angelo Peruzzi decided to quit football after last Sunday’s Derby della Capitale between Lazio and Roma.

Buffon has echoed the feelings of many, with both Lazio Coach Delio Rossi and President Claudio Lotito expressing their surprise and regret at the former Juve man’s decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)