Andrea Pirlo (35 Viewers)

vote

• Legend

• History

Results are only viewable after voting.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Andrea Pirlo explains his tactical adjustments to Juventus after a 2-0 victory at Dynamo Kiev, including the versatility of Federico Chiesa and Dejan Kulusevski.

The Bianconeri got off to an ideal Champions League start, winning 2-0 away to Dynamo Kiev thanks to a pair of Alvaro Morata goals.

“It was important to put in a more solid performance compared to Crotone,” the coach told Sky Sport Italia, referring to Saturday’s 1-1 Serie A draw.
“We were able to try a few things on Monday and were more organised this evening. We could’ve made more of some of the first half chances, but controlled the game well after taking the lead.”

There was one intriguing tactical experiment that only lasted 18 minutes due to Giorgio Chiellini’s injury. It had Chiellini in the centre of a three-man defence and Danilo on the left.
“It came from a rotation we wanted to have on the right, with Kulusevski cutting inside to let Juan Cuadrado break forward,” explained Pirlo.
“They were putting pressure on Leonardo Bonucci’s runs forward, so we put Giorgio in the centre. His injury forced us to change things, but Merih Demiral did very well.
“Chiellini had this muscular twinge in the flexor. He already felt it after international duty, so was rested against Crotone. We’ll evaluate it now.”

Chiesa impressed on the left wing, with Cuadrado on the right, although as always with Pirlo, tactical systems are in a constant state of flux.

“What I wanted was to have many players going into attack. Chiesa can play on either flank, Kulusevski or Aaron Ramsey can play as a trequartista behind a striker.

“Let’s not forget we have Cristiano Ronaldo out and Paulo Dybala is not in good shape, so the attacking structure can change, but the players are in the right positions.

“Chiesa is suited to what we wanted to do. He isn’t meant to be a fifth midfielder, but a wide attacker, while when defending he becomes a fourth midfielder. He can play on either side and does it very well.”

Dybala came off the bench for his season debut, but looked rusty.
“You could tell he was not 100 per cent tonight, he needs to play in order to slowly get back into shape.”

Buy on AliExpress.com

RoiLezard

LizardKing in black&white
Apr 7, 2018
Bravo Mister

I know he is wise, calm and smart enough to block out the bullshit comments from the media, rabid fans and other people who wish to see us fail. You’re on the right track with us. Slowly, slowly we will see his ideas on the team take shape and I think it’ll be a lot of fun to watch this team.
I was expecting a slow start to the season but so far we’re unbeaten and we’re missing key players. Once they return, this team will shape up nicely but it will take time nonetheless. After a whole year of Sarri, I’m all for giving Pirlo all the time he needs to build a strong side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I would of course start Berna instead of useless AS. :agree:
AS takes dumps with more talent and purpose than Turdeski :stuckup:

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to see how this works when everyone is fit

CR-Dybala

Kulu
Chiesa-Bentancur-Rabiot-Cuad

AS-De Ligt-Demiral

Szc​
Honestly, I love it, but we could also use AS in Chiesa's position, with Chiesa moving to the right side, and Cuads either moving back into defense or starting off on the bench (impact sub) with Danilo as our starting RCB.

- - - Updated - - -

Change the midfield to Arthur and McKennie (I know, I know) and :euromax:
McNuggets shouldn't be starting ahead of Rabiot or Bentancur - he hasn't shown anything yet to be deserving of a starting shirt. At best, he's currently our 4th choice Mid.

- - - Updated - - -

Its gonna be difficult to acommodate everyone. With CR around, other 2 spots are between Morata, Dybala, Kulu, Chiesa. Depends on their form obviously, who will get picked.
Actually, you can accommodate 3 of 4, not only 2.

3-4-1-2 formation with a midfield duo of Rabiot and Bentancur (they can alternate with Arthur, with McNuggets being an option if we need a more physical style of play/used in rotation), Chiesa/Cuads on the right, AS/Chiesa on the left, and Kulu behind Ronaldo and Dybala. If we want to be really adventurous, we can have Kulu on the right, Chiesa on the left, and Dybala behind Morata and CR7.

- - - Updated - - -

Ideal line up when everyone is fit? Should we play 3 or 4 at the back? Plenty of options for Pirlo to work with.

Woj
Cuad ---MDL ----Bonucci--- AS
Bentacur ---Arthur ---Ramsey
Chiesa (Kulu) ---Morata (Dybala) ---CR

Woj
MDL --Bonucci ---AS
Cuad ---Bentacur ---Arthur--- Chiesa
Ramsey (Kulu)
Morata (Dybala) ---CR

I feel AS isnt that much of a threat going forward anymore and maybe he would be more suited for LCB role as the years go by.
I respect you, but I would never label any formation with Bonucci as a starter and Dybala on the bench as ideal :D :b81:

Last edited:

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
McNuggets shouldn't be starting ahead of Rabiot or Bentancur - he hasn't shown anything yet to be deserving of a starting shirt. At best, he's currently our 4th choice Mid.
He was great against Sampdoria. Not so great against Roma, but Rabiot was way worse in that game. There’s no way he’s not going to get more opportunities once he returns, especially when none of the other mids have established themselves as fixtures yet.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
He was great against Sampdoria. Not so great against Roma, but Rabiot was way worse in that game. There’s no way he’s not going to get more opportunities once he returns, especially when none of the other mids have established themselves as fixtures yet.
He's obviously going to get opportunities. I think Pirlo wants to keep everyone fresh and on their toes. We have an interesting bunch of players, a lot of young guns in midfield, and an insane amount of attacking talent. I'm still peeved we missed out on Aouar, but there's always next summer.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
I don't want to make something big out of tonight game but Il Maestro thread isn't so crowded today as it was last two games, I guess haters aren't around today, we'll see against Farca

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
It wasn't a great spectacle. We were playing a young and inexperienced Kiev side, so we have to factor that in as well.

Nonetheless, we won, and that's all that matters, especially as it's early days of the Pirlo Project.

Mar 24, 2006
i li
Andrea Pirlo explains his tactical adjustments to Juventus after a 2-0 victory at Dynamo Kiev, including the versatility of Federico Chiesa and Dejan Kulusevski.

The Bianconeri got off to an ideal Champions League start, winning 2-0 away to Dynamo Kiev thanks to a pair of Alvaro Morata goals.

“It was important to put in a more solid performance compared to Crotone,” the coach told Sky Sport Italia, referring to Saturday’s 1-1 Serie A draw.
“We were able to try a few things on Monday and were more organised this evening. We could’ve made more of some of the first half chances, but controlled the game well after taking the lead.”

There was one intriguing tactical experiment that only lasted 18 minutes due to Giorgio Chiellini’s injury. It had Chiellini in the centre of a three-man defence and Danilo on the left.
“It came from a rotation we wanted to have on the right, with Kulusevski cutting inside to let Juan Cuadrado break forward,” explained Pirlo.
“They were putting pressure on Leonardo Bonucci’s runs forward, so we put Giorgio in the centre. His injury forced us to change things, but Merih Demiral did very well.
“Chiellini had this muscular twinge in the flexor. He already felt it after international duty, so was rested against Crotone. We’ll evaluate it now.”

Chiesa impressed on the left wing, with Cuadrado on the right, although as always with Pirlo, tactical systems are in a constant state of flux.

“What I wanted was to have many players going into attack. Chiesa can play on either flank, Kulusevski or Aaron Ramsey can play as a trequartista behind a striker.

“Let’s not forget we have Cristiano Ronaldo out and Paulo Dybala is not in good shape, so the attacking structure can change, but the players are in the right positions.

“Chiesa is suited to what we wanted to do. He isn’t meant to be a fifth midfielder, but a wide attacker, while when defending he becomes a fourth midfielder. He can play on either side and does it very well.”

Dybala came off the bench for his season debut, but looked rusty.
“You could tell he was not 100 per cent tonight, he needs to play in order to slowly get back into shape.”
i'm supporting Mister Pirlo , but i think he doesnt need to explain most of his strategies to public hehe

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
We are looking for counters again in the UCL. Must have been some years since we've done it. Probably not since Allegri's first couple years.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
Look at when we have the ball, that's when we play 3 Cbs, been so since the first game.
Is it?
I dont watch the match but some said we play with 4-4-1-1, and some still said 3-5-2.

I found it's strange if we play with 3-5-2 in the beginning because there is Chiellini who mostly play as LCB and then Danilo also on the left. the correct set up would be Danilo as LB and Chiellini LCB.

Do Danilo overlap a lot as LB? or Is it only Chiesa on the left while Cuad overlap Kulu on the right

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Is it?
I dont watch the match but some said we play with 4-4-1-1, and some still said 3-5-2.
without the ball, it was the usual 4-4-2 all along, with ramsey and morata up front. the attacking formation changed a lot during the game as expected: at the beginning it mostly resembled to a traditional 4-2-3-1, then as the game went along, cuadrado moved forward more.

bottom line is that we were finally compact in defense as chiesa and kulu played a very disciplined game without the ball, and transition was more fluid. i don't remember allowing dinamo a counter. crotone game was a mess defensively, yesterday was a nice step forward.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
I'd agree with the 442 assessment but with Danilo to cover spaces between defense and midfield. Defensive Raumdauter, kind of. Very flat in the beginning but gradually Danilo went more centrally from the left when we were in possession. Thus we were still able to attack wide with Chiesa hugging the line on the left and Cuadrado on the right. When possession was lost, as Danilo moved in, Rabiot could move forward and press.
I was hoping we would go with this formation. I thought it suited the available players best. In the end I don't care what we play as long as we continue to improve.
Once Dybala came on we were better able to own spaces, open spaces, and transition from defence. What continues to be a problem is playing out from defense (we look completely clueless) and Danilo has been doing OK but is kind of in no man's land. Even if we try to occupy different spaces to not be vulnerable for counters and enable high press we are still very much open wide. Better teams will hurt us.
There were also a lot of critical individual errors. Poor decisions that kind of puzzles me. I don't think they are so much Pirlo's fault but the lack of rest and no pre-season. Tired bodies make stupid decisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 15)