Andrea Pirlo - CM - AC Milan (10 Viewers)

Aquilani or Pirlo?

• Aquilani

• Pirlo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2010
But look how fast and exciting it all is. :rolleyes:
I am close to vomiting every time that I hear some of my friends say that today's Barcelona is the greatest team of all time. Obviously, they started watching football 3-4 years ago because they would not make such a stupid statement if that was not the case.

Late 90s Juventus/Early 2000s Bayern and Madrid--->Today's Barcelona.

I'd even argue that Milan between 2003-2007 would beat Barcelona. But of course, Barcelona beat them in 2006 with help from the referees(Sheva's goal).

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Why is that sad?

Pizarro is an excellent passer

What's sad is how few top class ball-players there are in Serie A now.
I should specify I mean the sad part is he is THE only one I seen this season amongst passing midfielders who is actually any good (Pirlo injured), while he would been dime a dozen a decade and half ago. Rest of Serie A's passers are just mediocre, likes of Montolivo, D'Agostino, Liverani, Ledesma, all high in the passing completion lists, but all meeeh.

Jul 1, 2010
I should specify I mean the sad part is he is THE only one I seen this season amongst passing midfielders who is actually any good (Pirlo injured), while he would been dime a dozen a decade and half ago. Rest of Serie A's passers are just mediocre, likes of Montolivo, D'Agostino, Liverani, Ledesma, all high in the passing completion lists, but all meeeh.
Andrea Cossu is as good as Pizarro. He plays more as a winger though, but his passing is great. Best assist man in Serie A.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I am close to vomiting every time that I hear some of my friends say that today's Barcelona is the greatest team of all time. Obviously, they started watching football 3-4 years ago because they would not make such a stupid statement if that was not the case.

Late 90s Juventus/Early 2000s Bayern and Madrid--->Today's Barcelona.

I'd even argue that Milan between 2003-2007 would beat Barcelona. But of course, Barcelona beat them in 2006 with help from the referees(Sheva's goal).
Anybody who goes around claiming anything is the greatest of all time without living for even a third of that time is an imbecile.

But then again, what you wrote is all opinion as well, so it's their word against yours.

The Milan of 2003 was not all that great and if Pavel had played, we would have won that game in my view.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
As much as I hate barca...you gotta admit Xavi is the pinnacle of passing in our era/times. Although his system does suit him.

Jul 1, 2010
People like to pull random numbers from their asses, it must be said.

Pirlo wouldn't add anything that Xavi doesn't already do for them.
For one thing, Pirlo's free kick abilities at his prime were miles ahead of Xavi's.

Pirlo's long range shots were/are better also.

I can't see Xavi scoring such a goal, and that was Pirlo this year, past his best.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I agree completely. As a matter of fact I think pirlo would have made this barca 20x better.
I disagree. Pirlo may have a better passing range but he would slow down the tempo of their play. Xavi is much better at the constant short pass and move game IMO.

Accommodating Pirlo might actually hurt their play.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
:boh: I didn't pull any numbers :boh:

and better long range passing
20 times better? Really? That's not a number?

For one thing, Pirlo's free kick abilities at his prime were miles ahead of Xavi's.

Pirlo's long range shots were/are better also.

I don't see Xavi scoring such a goal, and that was Pirlo this year, past his best.
Pirlo is a better free-kick taker.

Xavi doesn't make a lot of long passes because of the style of play, but whenever he does, they are brilliant. The chips over the defense he makes are just as good as Pirlo's for sure.

I disagree. Pirlo may have a better passing range but he would slow down the tempo of their play. Xavi is much better at the constant short pass and move game IMO.

Accommodating Pirlo might actually hurt their play.
No doubt about that.

Jul 1, 2010
Well they play for teams that have very different styles of play. I don't think that Xavi would have done better than Pirlo at Milan and Pirlo probably would not do better than Xavi with Barcelona.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
In the context I used 20x u know I meant to say much better or a lot ...

Pirlo slow down passing? surely a man of his quality would be able to adapt , same with totti imagine him playing with barca attacking the final third

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)