Andrea Barzagli (18 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
and from an other point of view: barcelona had to travel to milano via bus because of the icelandic volcano eruption (inter played against a tired opponent), inter scored an offside goal at home, escaped a clear penalty, and barcelona had a late goal wrongly disallowed for offside that could see them through.

don't get me wrong, inter deserved to go through, they really played a brilliant match at home. but luck was on their side, too.

Buy on AliExpress.com

rndmlgnd

Oct 29, 2015
I will always remember Barzagli's run on that counter. Also, how good is he, that he managed to make giovinco score :lol:
You're being too harsh on Gio, he always finished chances like this.

The rest of Barza's interview:

Andrea Barzagli wishes he were younger to have more years with Juventus, while revealing their strength lies in teamwork.

The 34-year-old looks set to extend his contract for another year with the Bianconeri, though his age means he's unlikely to play for them much longer.

“I'd like to be a few years younger, so I could stay for a longer time,” he told Tuttosport. “When I signed with Juventus, I thought it was the biggest opportunity in my career. I wish I'd had this chance earlier.

“I was hoping to join a big team after the 2006 World Cup, but it didn't happen. People didn't think I was at that level, or there simply wasn't an opening.

“When Juve came, I was the first to question myself to make sure I could compete at those high levels. I showed that I can. Sometimes I regret my age, because I wish I'd had more time in the heights.”

Barzagli was then asked what was more important for him, the fifth consecutive Scudetto or the record for the longest unbeaten defensive spell.

“I care about both things. Winning the fifth Scudetto would be extraordinary, and we're very close. We'll make the club's history and we hope to keep that up.

“Setting a new defensive record, after [goalkeeper Gianluigi] Buffon managed to beat the record for the longest time with clean sheets, would be the cherry on a superb season.

“I'm a defender and sometimes I'd like to have a few records of my own. It's a personal gratification, since we're always suffering at the back!

“Seriously though, when we say that the whole team defends, that's not just an expression. If you look at the games, it's self-evident.

“Of course, you need some strong players at the back, because a few crosses will inevitably break the barriers, and then it's a personal duel against the striker.

“We're a strong defence, and we get results regardless of who's playing. In addition, we have Buffon, who makes us feel safe.”
I remember we wanted him before he went to Wolfsburg, because of fvcking Secco though, we opted for other players like Andrade, Legrottaglie, Mellberg, Boumsong... even Criscito got a chance.

I believe Barzagli would have been just as good if we got him earlier, Wolfsburg didn't upgrade him at all.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Thats wrong.

Barzagli was a hugely talented centreback with also talented Kjaer next to him. However, barzagli was inconsistant and made costly errors chronically. Italy's elite didnt took him. He went to wolfsburg.
At wolfsburg, yeah, his actual skillset didnt improve. But he became that exceptionally concentrated, consistant calm player he is totay. He matured there, in the best way.

When he returned to italy, his consistance and concentration and calm allowed to quickly rise to his best game and remain there.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
In recent memory Inter and Chelsea both won the tournament playing defensive and showing grinta along the way.
yeah 2 out of 15 since year 2000...

you guys keep repeating this but you guys don't understand that what I want is domination, like we have to win what... 5 CL more for me to even consider it's a success for us, so I don't consider 2 out of 15 years chance is sufficient, I want the opposite side, the style that make it so that we can win 13 out of 15, as proven by statistics... there is also this (my) logic that when you are being reactive/defensive in this game (or most sports and competition for that matter) we are essentially gambling, actually not just for us but for anyone, it's gambling because the control is not in ours, yes anything can happen, ball is round, so they said, but it's essentially gambling, while being pro active mean we are in control, that's how the logic goes... that's why there is a saying the best defense is offense, that is why there is something called suppression in battle, attack the enemy so they can't hurt us.

being reactive/defensive is essentially surrendering to fate, that's unfortunately how it is, even evidenced since forever every time any stronger teams faced weaker teams which in turn were forced to be reactive/defensive, yes the ball is still round.

atletico has yet to win the cl, even if they make it this season that will only push the balance to 3 out of 16.

Jun 6, 2015
If you are going as far as 15 years back you have to include Liverpool and Porto in that list of defensive and grinta teams winning it.

I think you are confusing attacking and possesion based football. We played very attacking for 90 minutes during that two legged tie even with them dominating posession. We pressed them high up the pitch and forced them to mistakes and created chance after chance. Posession based football can be very uneffective when the defending team is up for it.

We are not going to win against Bayern/Barca by outplaying them in their game we need to play the full tie as we played against Bayern for 90 minutes.

Nov 17, 2012
Thats wrong.

Barzagli was a hugely talented centreback with also talented Kjaer next to him. However, barzagli was inconsistant and made costly errors chronically. Italy's elite didnt took him. He went to wolfsburg.
At wolfsburg, yeah, his actual skillset didnt improve. But he became that exceptionally concentrated, consistant calm player he is totay. He matured there, in the best way.

When he returned to italy, his consistance and concentration and calm allowed to quickly rise to his best game and remain there.
I do recall him also saying in an interview that the then Wolfsburg coach helped to improve his physicality and fitness quite noticeably. So by the time Conte came and PT'ed the living shit out of our team and whip them into shape, Barza, given he was already 30 then, had a lot less trouble adapting than others; and in concern with his improved concentration and mentality, he's hence come to be one of the finest all-round defenders of the modern game.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
If you are going as far as 15 years back you have to include Liverpool and Porto in that list of defensive and grinta teams winning it.

I think you are confusing attacking and possesion based football. We played very attacking for 90 minutes during that two legged tie even with them dominating posession. We pressed them high up the pitch and forced them to mistakes and created chance after chance. Posession based football can be very uneffective when the defending team is up for it.

We are not going to win against Bayern/Barca by outplaying them in their game we need to play the full tie as we played against Bayern for 90 minutes.
Liverpool are more in the category of unbelievably lucky bastards winning it.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
WALLZAGLI proving once again that we have 3 of the best CBs in the world. I hated you for your words when you spurned us from Palermo to join Wolfsburg but I have now forgiven you buddy.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
GDM-
Andrea Barzagli played another season at the highest level, he was a key player in Juventus' run to their fifth scudetto in a row and the upcoming Coppa Italia final. The defender is now ready to extend his contract with the bianconeri. The new contract, which will expire in 2018, will be announced on Wednesday- Barzagli was represented by agent Orlandini.

But there is more: should Barzagli decide to retire at the end of the contract, there is the possibility he could stay on with Juventus in a different role. The defender's relationship with Juventus is destined to continue long term, in meantime his new contract will be announced on Wednesday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)