Andrea Barzagli (17 Viewers)

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
I've noticed that @Salvatore is possibly the most sensible guy on these forums when it comes to judging players. Hardly overrate or underrate.

Having said that, Barza is among the best in Europe no doubt :D

Aug 1, 2003
if there's anyone who's NOT overrated in Juve (and perhaps quite underrated) it is definitely Barza. Saying he's the best in the world is a stretch, in Europe is debatable, but definitely in Italy. he's a major player in our success this season - I disagree that teams haven't brought their game to us, the reason they couldn't is due to our midfield coverage and our defenders - almost every game, particularly the big ones, it is a rare occasion that the opposition could get past Barza.

May 22, 2007
I've noticed that @Salvatore is possibly the most sensible guy on these forums when it comes to judging players. Hardly overrate or underrate.

Having said that, Barza is among the best in Europe no doubt :D
Salvatore is indeed a great poster, no doubt about it. But he can't be right all the time :D
You say I'm sensible and great, yet don't listen to me? I give up. :D

Barzagli is having a great season, probably the best in Serie A (Chiellini's early season form sort of harmed him). "Easily the best defender in Europe right now" this is what I specifically had a problem with, especially the "easily" part. Too much too soon. Oh well.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
I thought Bonucci was sweeping the ball really well and Chiellini was hunting them already in the midfield. They both left Barzagli way in the back and didn't leave much for him.
Not surprising a defence is less troubled (and looks better) when the rest of the team/the match allows them to be proactive rather than reactive, I suppose.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Not surprising a defence is less troubled (and looks better) when the rest of the team/the match allows them to be proactive rather than reactive, I suppose.
I agree with that even Vidal and Marchisio are doing a significant work to cover the defenders along with the entire team when pressing to recover the ball. We still somehow manage to lose silly balls and I am really eager to see if we will stop doing that one day.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
True enough. Vidal, of course, has been instrumental in easing the pressure on the defence much of the time. Marchisio, as much fun as it is to bash him, has also greatly contributed with his "sticking to task, fewer risks" play.

About losing the ball - naturally we lose it most times in the opposition final third (Vucinic!), as it should be, what with the sheer number of opponents there. Unless we go through some unwanted personnel change in getting "workman-like defensive forwards" to help press there, or change tactics in general to push higher up, exposing ourselves in the process, I'm not sure how it can be cut out. Just seems to be part and parcel of the game we play.

If I'm totally wrong and it's just due to individual mistakes all over the pitch, incompetence, whatever (Vidal missing simple short passes now and then, Vucinic dialing it in from a daydream), then it's probably never going to change either. By a certain age players seem to have their characteristics and stick to them.

-edit. Further, if the regista of defence would cut out his Pirlo aspirations, our possession would increase 8% at minimum per game. Fact!

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
No, I said something favourable about The Invisible Man, a.k.a. So Tactically Astute I Should Have Been A Coach, Not A Player, a.k.a. Thank God For Calciopoli!

-edit. His name is Marchisio. Claudio Marchisio. The guy that plays for Juventus, unfortunately. At CM. Supposedly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)