André Gomes - Midfielder - Valencia (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
i'm worried that Juventus try to be cheap and we will miss out both Pjanic and Gomes.
First we should absoloutely get Pjanic as fast as we can and then deal with Valencia.
But Pjanic is the priority. Considering the price and the player.
Else name me players on the lvl of pjanic which can be bought for less or the same price as him

Buy on AliExpress.com

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
You'd be surprised how good Pjanic fares compared to Pogba and Marchiso.

G&A

Pogba: 8 G and 12 A in 3019 min.
Pjanic: 10 G and 12 A in 2654 min.
Marchisio: 0 G and 2 A in 1931 min.

Passing

Pogba: 48.5 passes/game, 83.4% success rate, 1.5 keypasses/game.
Pjanic: 65.5 passes/game (beast), 84.9% success rate, 2.4 keypasses/game (beast).
March: 63.5 passes/game, 88.5% success rate (beast), 1 key passes/game (God I miss Pirlo).

EDIT: For my own entertainment. Pirlo's last season with us passing stats.

Pirlo 2014/15: 72.7 passes/game (God), 89.2% success rate (God), 2.2 key passes/game. They said Pirlo had no role in our last season :lol:

Pirlo 2011/12: 86.4 passes/game (God is his bitch), 92.9% success rate (God is his bitch), 3.4 key passes/game (God is his bitch). Best passer of all time easily.

Defense

Pogba: 2.2 tackles/game (beast), 1.3 Interceptions/game, dribbled past him 0.7/game (beast)
Pjanic: 1.4 tackles/game, 1.5 interceptions/game, dribbled past him 1.4/game
March: 2.1 tackles/game, 2.8 interceptions/game, dribbled past him 1.3/game

So this is a guy whose numbers are excellent. He is more creative than Pogba, he is at the heart of everything Roma does offensively, is great in possession and defensively is not too bad. Even his average rating on Who scored is between Pogba's and Marchisio's both of which are consistently good players.

Pogba and Marchisio are top level players and so is Pjanic. Gomes (based on just stats) is a level below them.
'Based on stats' thank you.

If we had all these whoscored websites back in the day,im sure you people would've found a way to discredit Zidane for his 'inferior' stats.
Stats is the last thing id use to judge central midfielders on.Besides its completely idiotic to compare Marchisio's stats to Pjanic when he plays a completely different role and position altogether.
Whats true is Pogba and Marchisio are accomplished midfielders internationally who've had great performances at elite level.
Perhaps Pjanic is on the cusp of becoming elite? We dont know,we'll see.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Stats don't tell the whole story but even for someone like Zidane you have to give value not just based on artistic value. What these sites don't tend to record are things like dangerous attacks started or the vision to pick out kinds of passes, little touches to open up play. Zidane would be judged like a robot the same as any other AM player.

noki

Apr 28, 2016
Stats don't tell the whole story but even for someone like Zidane you have to give value not just based on artistic value. What these sites don't tend to record are things like dangerous attacks started or the vision to pick out kinds of passes, little touches to open up play. Zidane would be judged like a robot the same as any other AM player.
which are exactly the kind of things that may distinguish between a good midfielder and a truly world-class one, between a good midfielder and a truly decisive player. I hardly believe any professional would even take a second look to these kind of statistics/websites when scouting/picking a player to sign.. Maybe some EPL clubs actually think statistics are meaningful and hire "professionals" to analyse data, but they really don't know what to do with their money, and that might be the reason why they consistently underperform with regard to their financial power.

Jun 6, 2015
which are exactly the kind of things that may distinguish between a good midfielder and a truly world-class one, between a good midfielder and a truly decisive player. I hardly believe any professional would even take a second look to these kind of statistics/websites when scouting/picking a player to sign.. Maybe some EPL clubs actually think statistics are meaningful and hire "professionals" to analyse data, but they really don't know what to do with their money, and that might be the reason why they consistently underperform with regard to their financial power.
I'm pretty sure that all the major sports teams use data as part of the recruitment process nowadays but of course it's not the only criteria or even the most important one. When making a business/sporting decisions you want to have as much knowledge as possible and looking at the numbers is part of that decision making.

noki

Apr 28, 2016
I'm pretty sure that all the major sports teams use data as part of the recruitment process nowadays but of course it's not the only criteria or even the most important one. When making a business/sporting decisions you want to have as much knowledge as possible and looking at the numbers is part of that decision making.
I said they wouldn't take a second look, implying they might look at it once. But that's it, it takes no part in a decision.

looking at the numbers is part of that decision making.
nope, I think that's a dellusion. If you give importance to the numbers in the decision process, you are only taking a risk of hiring the wrong guy. You look at the player playing, if you like him, if he has what you need, that's what counts. It's not a fluxogram that makes a decision, it's a gut feeling from the manager/sporting director.

That dellusion may come from people playing way too much FM and stuff like that, giving people the impression that's how it's done. But the real world doesn't work like that. Sorry.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Leave stats to cricket,baseball,NFL etc

It should not be used as a pre-requisite to judge football players particularly those who aren't forwards.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Pjanic scored as many goals as our starting CF and had as many assists as our best player. Stats shouldnt be the most important criteria but when a CM does something like this you have to appreciate it

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
I am not saying we shouldnt ignore that though, its surely impressive but when you are using these numbers to compare it with different players who play different roles, deeper in midfield,then i have a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Pjanic played AM plenty of times this season btw

Jun 6, 2015
I said they wouldn't take a second look, implying they might look at it once. But that's it, it takes no part in a decision.

nope, I think that's a dellusion. If you give importance to the numbers in the decision process, you are only taking a risk of hiring the wrong guy. You look at the player playing, if you like him, if he has what you need, that's what counts. It's not a fluxogram that makes a decision, it's a gut feeling from the manager/sporting director.

That dellusion may come from people playing way too much FM and stuff like that, giving people the impression that's how it's done. But the real world doesn't work like that. Sorry.
No worries, I just think it's more complex than that. These people are paid a helluva lot of money to do their jobs and watching the player live is certainly the most important thing they do to evaluate the player but they still use every little detail when making judgments.

Statistics are already a part of football they use them in training and after match situations to evaluate performance. I for example used to improve my movement on the pitch by keeping track of my distance covered in training and in matches.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Pjanic plays mostly as a CM for Roma, agree they have different roles but i dont think one plays deeper than the other. Gomes attacks a lot in fact

- - - Updated - - -
@Xperd

Jun 6, 2015
Leave stats to cricket,baseball,NFL etc

It should not be used as a pre-requisite to judge football players particularly those who aren't forwards.
I'd say something like key passes is the sort of thing that you'd have to be stupid not to take a look at when trying to find a creative midfield player. Those are things that will eventually lead to goals as seen by Pjanic's assist numbers compared to those of Gomes.

TheTruth

Aug 24, 2015
I'd say something like key passes is the sort of thing that you'd have to be stupid not to take a look at when trying to find a creative midfield player. Those are things that will eventually lead to goals as seen by Pjanic's assist numbers compared to those of Gomes.
Do key passes include dead balls? In that case Pogbas numbers are very good as he doesn't take our dead balls unless he's going for goal. Pjanic takes everything for Roma.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
I remember Spalletti used Pjanic in Totti's role in many games.

And you people are going around in circles once again.Why are we comparing Gomes and Pjanic again? Ffs this is getting tiring. This is a different discussion in regards what kind of player Juventus would like.
Its already been acknowledged that Pjanic is a more established player.No need to compare with him Gomes' season over and over again just to make a point.

Lastly,Pjanic would be a fantastic addition to the midfield.I have no agenda against him.Thats it.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
How do you measure a key pass?

Even Ozil's 1 metre passes for example which is relatively easier to make count as key passes.Thats my point.

Stats tend to exaggerate a lot of stuff.

Jun 6, 2015

Even Ozil's 1 metre passes for example which is relatively easier to make count as key passes.Thats my point.

Pass that leads to a scoring opportunity. Özil is not really a 1 meter pass kind of guy he has a crazy amount of key passes this season I remember hearing it's the most ever in the PL (don't know how long they have counted them) which again is reflected by his assist numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

A thing that might skew that kind of stat is if the player nonstop tries to play through balls but that should show in the passing accuracy column then and in Pjanic's case it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)