American NFL Football (14 Viewers)

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I like our WR pick and the TE. Also a punter in the fifth. Kid is meant to be real good but I was like wut. Dude is like 6'5 229 pounds and he is a punter. Maybe he can play MLB as well

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
It's pretty sad when i, an optimist, albeit a practical one by nature, am so disenchanted with this draft that aside from the 3rd round pick, the only other pick that I like is Deandre Smelter, and he may not even play this season. Their 6th and 7th round picks made no fucking sense at all, especially when Mcbride, and the Oregon CB who will basically be redshirted this season were available. Baalke has always been known for drafting for value, but there were no value picks this year. Who the fuck even drafts a punter anymore?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I really like UDFA Dres Anderson from Utah.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I like the running back. Seems useful. The tight end I am not sure about but it's a project. The punter looks good but still it was retarded. Eli will be good. I hope arik will be.

- - - Updated - - -

Though the Pats take the cake. Long snapper in the 5th

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I like the running back. Seems useful. The tight end I am not sure about but it's a project. The punter looks good but still it was retarded. Eli will be good. I hope arik will be.

- - - Updated - - -

Though the Pats take the cake. Long snapper in the 5th
We, as 49er fans, are not in a position to make fun of what the Patriots do in the draft. Especially this year's draft.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
We, as 49er fans, are not in a position to make fun of what the Patriots do in the draft. Especially this year's draft.
:D :agree:

It's the prototypical BB pick - he has a hard-on for special-teams guys and especially long snappers. Also, BB has long-standing ties to Navy and that program is very dear to his heart - his dad used to coach at navy and that's where BB learned football. So, a long-snapper, from Navy no less, you just knew BB will go nuts - a dream within a dream :touched: :D

Like most fans, I am also bummed about going LS in the 5th (though not as much as with that reach for SAF in the 2nd) but it is what it is - Pats have had issues with their LS last couple of years, tried some alternatives but didn't work out. And this Joe Cardona guy is supposed to be the best LS coming out of college in a long time - was considered the only draftable special-teamer in this draft class.

It may seem weird to other fans but BB puts a high priority on having a top special-teams unit and considers that as important as having a good Defense and Offense. Seeing him spend a 5th rounder on a LS is sure frustrating when it happens but it's difficult to argue with the results.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

It's the prototypical BB pick - he has a hard-on for special-teams guys and especially long snappers. Also, BB has long-standing ties to Navy and that program is very dear to his heart - his dad used to coach at navy and that's where BB learned football. So, a long-snapper, from Navy no less, you just knew BB will go nuts - a dream within a dream :touched: :D

Like most fans, I am also bummed about going LS in the 5th (though not as much as with that reach for SAF in the 2nd) but it is what it is - Pats have had issues with their LS last couple of years, tried some alternatives but didn't work out. And this Joe Cardona guy is supposed to be the best LS coming out of college in a long time - was considered the only draftable special-teamer in this draft class.

It may seem weird to other fans but BB puts a high priority on having a top special-teams unit and considers that as important as having a good Defense and Offense. Seeing him spend a 5th rounder on a LS is sure frustrating when it happens but it's difficult to argue with the results.

But see, at least that was a need for the Patriots.

Drafting a punter when the 49ers already have one of the best in the league in Andy Lee was just plain nonsense. And it all leads me back that with the exception of Ray Guy, why the fuck do you use a draft pick on a Punter? There was still a ton of value there in the 5th round, but in all honesty I should have known better, if the previous 4 rounds were any indication.

All those picks, and I only like 2 of them. I can't even remember the last time that has happened. I have to go back to the Jim Druckenmiller draft in 1997 when they only had 3 picks total, and all of those were fucking dumb as well.

- - - Updated - - -

And to expand on what you said in your last sentence. If fans think that it is "weird" that a coach would place an importance on having a good special teams unit, then they should be watching polo or something else.

Exhibit A: Ray Guy.

There aren't enough fingers and toes of the members of this forum who follow this thread to count how many times Ray and his 5 + second hang time punts put the opposing offense starting at their own 15 yard line instead of the 45.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
But see, at least that was a need for the Patriots.

Drafting a punter when the 49ers already have one of the best in the league in Andy Lee was just plain nonsense. And it all leads me back that with the exception of Ray Guy, why the fuck do you use a draft pick on a Punter? There was still a ton of value there in the 5th round, but in all honesty I should have known better, if the previous 4 rounds were any indication.

All those picks, and I only like 2 of them. I can't even remember the last time that has happened. I have to go back to the Jim Druckenmiller draft in 1997 when they only had 3 picks total, and all of those were fucking dumb as well.
Can feel your pain - I myself am not too big a fan of this 9ers draft, unlike some other drafts in recent years. Punter in the 5th wasn't ideal but thought they could have added something to the CB position and addressed the losses on OL (guessing Boone will be gone soon, as well) a bit earlier in the draft (not a praticular fan of either of those guys they took late, especially T. Brown).

Also, TE wasn't a particularly strong position in this draft class - lots of either just average guys or project-athletes (e.g. Bell). So, probably not the best idea to double-dip at the position and, imo at least, no TE deserved special consideration before the 6th round outside of Maxx Williams and Clive Walford.

When I saw the punter pick, I thought Andy Lee had either retired or left the 9ers in free agency but neither seems to be the case. And Pinion is just nothing special from what I know about the P and PK prospects this year; wasn't even considered draftable - only thing that really stands out in him is his height, imo but that can a plus as well as a negative. Don't think he was ever considered a must have prospect like JK Scott ('Bama) will likely be seen in a couple of years from now.

From your picks, ones I liked best were OLB Harold, RB Davis, WR Smelter, and SS Tartt, who I like better than you seem to. My guess is, Tartt is used as a nickle LB at first before they consider him as a replacement for Bethea in the future. Value in 2nd looks questionable on paper but I like the player and had him as a 3rd rounder all along. Pats spent 60+% of snaps in nickle pckages last year, so can't underestimate that element of the game.

WR Smelter is also good pick for the future - a very good WR in the Demaryius Thomas mold, although a bit raw as a route-runner. Biggest question with him is the ACL injury, which is why he could have been had a tad later but if they thought he was their guy, late 4th isn't much of a reach, at all. Will have to be iced on IR for 2015, imo, but has the potential to bring very good value down the road.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
:tup: I'm not discounting Arik. He will be that sort of pick that either turns out amazing or gets cut.
I'm with @acmilan those the are the picks I like as well. Tartt I'm hoping is like Goldson was. The Andy Lee thing I don't understand unless they are planning to make a bit of cap room. Even still it doesn't make much sense.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

Hmm I wonder who that reminds me of.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Brady's agent:

"This suggests it may be more probable than not that the league cooperated with the Colts in perpetrating a sting operation."

A sting operation against Brady. :rofl:

Goodell is very good buddies with Kraft. The NFL protected the Pats all through the spy-gate controversy, and destroyed all the evidence without ever making it public. As if Goodell wanted the public face of the NFL, Brady, and the most successful franchise of the last 15 years to take this kind of scandalous hit again.

Pats fans are delusional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)