American NFL Football (22 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Texans reportedly trading multiple 1st round picks, plus an additional 2nd rounder, to Dolphins for OT Tunsil.

Or, they could have simply moved up 2-3 spots in the last draft to ensure they were getting Andre Dillard ...
Watson may end up being the first QB ever to be killed on the field if they don't get him some help. I thought it was going to be Luck for a while, but he smartened up.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news, this whole "Jet" McKinnon situation is simply not going to work out. Just let Coleman and Brieda do their thing, and cut your losses.

- - - Updated - - -

This Clowney deal was one of those Madden trades with the veto option turned off.

Last edited:

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
And here we go - Mr. Big Chest is a Patriot :spliff:

Well, upon releasing him, Gruden did wish AB the very best, so there is that :grin:

The last couple of days the entire NFL internet was on fire about how AB was forcing his way out of the Raiders, so he could sign with the Pats. That became a fact mere minutes after he became eligible to sign with a new team. I can so see the NFL launch yet another investigation vs the Pats ... At the very least, some NFL rules are about to be changed 'cause. you know, we can't have the Pats be smarter than anyone else. It's too late for the 2019 season, but watch out for it next year.

- - - Updated - - -

FUUUUCK! No, no, no.

They already have josh Gordon and Edelman, they don’t fucking need Brown.
What are you so worried about - your Eagles aren't scheduled to win another SB for at least 50 more years.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

Well, upon releasing him, Gruden did wish AB the very best, so there is that :grin:

The last couple of days the entire NFL internet was on fire about how AB was forcing his way out of the Raiders, so he could sign with the Pats. That became a fact mere minutes after he became eligible to sign with a new team. I can so see the NFL launch yet another investigation vs the Pats ... At the very least, some NFL rules are about to be changed 'cause. you know, we can't have the Pats be smarter than anyone else. It's too late for the 2019 season, but watch out for it next year.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you so worried about - your Eagles aren't scheduled to win another SB for at least 50 more years.
Yeah, Brown literally screwed the Raiders because he didn’t want to play with them. Dude should get suspended for a year.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

- - - Updated - - -

You know they are going to look into this. They kinda have to. The turnaround on this is just way too quick. I'm not saying that the Patriots did anything wrong, it literally just happened in the blink of an eye. I didn't think bill had the tolereance anymore for players with this kind of behavior. 10 years ago? Definitely. 5 years ago? Quite possibly. But now? And if AB does turn into an angel while he is with the Patriots, this could set a very bad precedent around the league for players to try and force their way off of teams.

Again, this is much much more to do with Antonio Brown than the Patriots. I would have been scratching my head as a 49ers fan if he suddenly signed with us mere hours after being released. I didn't think the waiver process worked that quickly in the NFL.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

- - - Updated - - -

You know they are going to look into this. They kinda have to. The turnaround on this is just way too quick. I'm not saying that the Patriots did anything wrong, it literally just happened in the blink of an eye. I didn't think bill had the tolereance anymore for players with this kind of behavior. 10 years ago? Definitely. 5 years ago? Quite possibly. But now? And if AB dopes turn into an angel while he is with the Patriots, this could set a very bad precedent around the league for players to try and force their way off of teams.

Again, this is much much more to do with Antonio Brown than the Patriots. I would have been scratching my head as a 49ers fan if he suddenly signed with us mere hours after being released. I didn't think the waiver process worked that quickly in the NFL.
I’m pretty sure the patriots and Brown are equally at fault here. This has to be collusion
I don't think the Patriots are totally clean on this. But what bothers me more than anything, is that this could set a trend of players going so far as to physically threaten their superiors in order to get out of the situation they are in.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
No waivers involved for a NFL vet player with as many accrued seasons as AB has - he immediately became a free agent.
AFAIK, teams could start negotiations with his agent as soon as the Raiders announced he was being released. I don't think they even needed the Raiders permission but even if they did, I doubt the Raiders were holding back, all things considered.
After 4 pm Eastern, any new deal AB had with another team could be made official. He was released this morning, giving the Pats and other teams more than enough time to negotiate the terms.
Also, with his antics in mind, I doubt many teams were lining up huge offers for AB, keeping the pool of competitors for his sig, pretty small. And the Pats still paid him a lot of money ... it's not like they are signing him to bargain-basement contract or anything.
This being said, we both know in case of another witch-hunt by the rest of the NFL, something I fully expect, any such investigation would have nothing to do with any obvious irregularities being committed. Rather, it would have virtually everything to do with who the Patriots are and how they keep spinning the rest of the NFL on their middle finger.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
No waivers involved for a NFL vet player with as many accrued seasons as AB has - he immediately became a free agent.
AFAIK, teams could start negotiations with his agent as soon as the Raiders announced he was being released. I don't think they even needed the Raiders permission but even if they did, I doubt the Raiders were holding back, all things considered.
After 4 pm Eastern, any new deal AB had with another team could be made official. He was released this morning, giving the Pats and other teams more than enough time to negotiate the terms.
Also, with his antics in mind, I doubt many teams were lining up huge offers for AB, keeping the pool of competitors for his sig, pretty small. And the Pats still paid him a lot of money ... it's not like they are signing him to bargain-basement contract or anything.
This being said, we both know in case of another witch-hunt by the rest of the NFL, something I fully expect, any such investigation would have nothing to do with any obvious irregularities being committed. Rather, it would have virtually everything to do with who the Patriots are and how they keep spinning the rest of the NFL on their middle finger.

I didn't know that a player with as many accrued seasons like that doesn't have to clear waivers. So, I apologize for that.

However, my original stance and concern still stands that a player can be able to pull this kind of shit, threatening their bosses with physical harm to get their way to be released

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I didn't know that a player with as many accrued seasons like that doesn't have to clear waivers. So, I apologize for that.

However, my original stance and concern still stands that a player can be able to pull this kind of shit, threatening their bosses with physical harm to get their way to be released
No apologies necessary - most people, probably even 50% of NFL GMs, wouldn't know it either :p I doubt anybody would have claimed AB off waivers anyway, considering the massive risk of his previous deal with the Raiders.

My point is this - If it was the Chiefs signing AB right now, a SB contender, a direct Steelers rival in the AFC, etc, etc, they would be lauded for the move, Andy Reid labeled a genius and no one would even care about the timing of the events regarding any possible tampering, etc. We are talking about a team that just gave a big contract to a guy who beat up his pregnant GF and 3 years later, more likely than not, did the same to the same kid she was carrying at the time. A team that kept Kareem Hunt on their roster, without any indication of having an issue with his off-field stuff. Then the tape came out and the PR became too much of a drag, so they washed their hands with Hunt, enacting ignorance as bliss.

In short, they play fast and loose with decisions of questionable morality more so than any other franchise in the NFL I can think of right now ... And all this for the sake of winning an extra game or two. Because they get their shit pushed in by the Pats, however, no one cares about any of this ... And they care about that laser in Brady's eyes during the AFCCG even less.

Same could be said if the Saints had signed AB, or the Seahawks, or the Eagles - all teams that were rumoured to be after AB. Eagles even restructured A. Jeffrey's contract to free up cap-room. Considering the pretty rich deal the Pats are giving Brown, the most logical conclusion is the Pats simply out-bid every other SB-contender AB may have been interested in. But since it's the Patriots who got the player, my oh my, they must have done something against the rules to pull it off because the alternative is admitting that they are just better and smarter than everybody else.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
No apologies necessary - most people, probably even 50% of NFL GMs, wouldn't know it either :p I doubt anybody would have claimed AB off waivers anyway, considering the massive risk of his previous deal with the Raiders.

My point is this - If it was the Chiefs signing AB right now, a SB contender, a direct Steelers rival in the AFC, etc, etc, they would be lauded for the move, Andy Reid labeled a genius and no one would even care about the timing of the events regarding any possible tampering, etc. We are talking about a team that just gave a big contract to a guy who beat up his pregnant GF and 3 years later, more likely than not, did the same to the same kid she was carrying at the time. A team that kept Kareem Hunt on their roster, without any indication of having an issue with his off-field stuff. Then the tape came out and the PR became too much of a drag, so they washed their hands with Hunt, enacting ignorance as bliss.

In short, they play fast and loose with decisions of questionable morality more so than any other franchise in the NFL I can think of right now ... And all this for the sake of winning an extra game or two. Because they get their shit pushed in by the Pats, however, no one cares about any of this ... And they care about that laser in Brady's eyes during the AFCCG even less.

Same could be said if the Saints had signed AB, or the Seahawks, or the Eagles - all teams that were rumoured to be after AB. Eagles even restructured A. Jeffrey's contract to free up cap-room. Considering the pretty rich deal the Pats are giving Brown, the most logical conclusion is the Pats simply out-bid every other SB-contender AB may have been interested in. But since it's the Patriots who got the player, my oh my, they must have done something against the rules to pull it off because the alternative is admitting that they are just better and smarter than everybody else.
Ok, but you still haven't addressed the elephant in the room. Whether or not Brown's antics are a precedent for players getting themselves out of their contracts is a good thing or not. I personally think it is terrible, irrespective of where he ended up. It's got nothing to do with the Patriots, but you are making this all about them, and how the whole league is now going to be out to get them. My mantra in life is that being jealous of other people's successes does nothing but prevent you from attaining your own success, and one would hope that any responsible organization would feel the same way.

This isn't about what Kareem Hunt did, or what Tyreke Hill did or didn't do. What they did, as abhorrent and inexcusable as it was, were not done in a direct attempt to get themselves out of their professional situation. If you connect the dots with Brown, this was exactly his plan once he physically threatened Mike Mayock.

So, just a simple yes or not answer whether what Brown did was acceptable is all I'm looking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)