Although i hate him but i think he is better than DP (1 Viewer)

satu

Jun 26, 2003
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
For me I would always prefer Dp as a player to Totti , thats not to say I think he is better or anything like that, I just think he has more innate ability but unlike Totti does not show it on a grander scale
Totti has definitely performed better for the Nt but for their respective clubs if inspiring your team to coming second is a measure of sucess as I have read on here then surely Dp has done better over the years
:thumb:
I feel the same way.

Just as many of you find it hard to believe that some of the fans keep support DP and pity us for we can't see beyond our love to a certain player, I also find it hard to believe that a Juventus fan prefer Totti more than DP. But maybe that's just me.
Tottina has 'play better' than DP in recent years, that I can take, but that he is a 'better player' than DP, well, that's something else.
The way I see it, DP failed to reach that player he was expected to be, while Totti perform further than expected. But from the starting point, DP's talent is beyond anything Totti could even imagine.
Why do you think that Totti get his recognition after DP's injury? While they're just about the same age?
What was Totti's biggest achievements anyway? leading Italy to Euro 2000 Championship? A scudetto for Roma? Bah! How many scudettos btw that DP served us?
Ow yeah, you may say I'm living in DP's past glory. But at least he gave my team, the team I support, those glorious moments. Which also come to minds that it's not THAT past anyway.
Admiring Totti is a personal preference, but when doing so you guys also continuously discrediting DP. And you called yourself a Juve fan. :dazed:
I almost thought I'm in a Roma forum.

As for Cassano lets not even go there
spoiled brat that's what he is.

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++

I suggest you carefully re-read the posts of the Lebanon Kid (since when is that an insult anyway? Had he been from Sanbenedetto del Tronto I might have called him sanbenedettino kid - hardly offensive) and compare it with mine, then come and tell me again Im the one throwing insults at the other. While you're at it, please enlighten me on the football-related points he was trying to make, because I am afraid I missed them all.

English is my third language after italian and french, but it's ok, I won't ask you to compliment me for the effort of writing in it.

Im not bandying names - merely being reminiscent of a more genuine time, when football teams did not look like multinational companies yet and when the "Champions League" was a tournament opposing the actual champions of each national league, not the team that came second or third. This being said, Desideri and Fontolan were two Inter cripples, so it is my duty, as a Milan fan, to deride them.

I do believe that my knowledge of the Beautiful Game is quite extensive, but never seriously meant to say it was superior to everyone in this forum. I suppose someone should invent a smiley with an ironic expression on its face just to avoid confusion.

As for Cassano : watch him substitute Del Piero against Sweden next June and never sit on the bench again until the end of the tournament.
Well I have just reraed his post and I apologise slightly for my initial outburst but you should not have brought up his place of origin even if I do understand it was meant to get him back , you still could have used a different tactic like talk football to dazzle him not resort to petty insults as it brings you down a bit
If we just discuss football that I would be very happy, leave the insults to those with limited knowledge as you put it

As for Cassano, I am not totally convinced about his talents, he is a very good player quite qlright and he and Totti do combine well but he is slower than Dp and that takes some beating and his temperament is still suspect

I do not wanna seem like I am defending Dp all the time but it seems he has never really been fit in big tournaments as he clearly wasn't at wc98 and euro2000 but of cos he has to take the blame as he played and did not do himself justice

Dec 27, 2003
Slight apology accepted. Let's bury the issue anyway as it's leading us nowhere but to pointless arguments.

Cassano reminds me more of Baggio and Maradona (with all due proportions) than of Del Piero.

He certainly inherited the primadonna attitudes of the "pibe de oro". You probably have heard about his last off the pitch exploits last week, as he left in the middle of a training session after Capello rebuked him for making one back-heel too much, with Don Fabio shouting at him "Where are you going? Only cowards run away!" as Cassano was off to the changing room.

Like I said in another thread, the kid from Bari is one of those players who fit into the "genio e sregolatezza" pattern : their talent seems to be in accordance with their indiscipline, so you somehow won't get one without the other.

But he is one of those players that could make the difference in Portugal : the delicious goal he scored in the game against Poland last November seems to testify that the squadra shirt suits him very well.

To be continued...

Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by satu ] ++

What was Totti's biggest achievements anyway? leading Italy to Euro 2000 Championship? A scudetto for Roma? Bah! How many scudettos btw that DP served us?

You should bear in mind though that Roma is a team that wins the scudetto once every 20 years or so (the 2001 win was only the third consecration of their history) whereas Milan or Juve cannot let 5 years go by without being champions.

Before Capello's appointment, people used to say that it is impossible to win in Rome. Sensi would probably impute this to the "wind from the North" as he puts it (the alleged Moggi-Gallianesque conspiracy against southern teams), but in reality it goes back a lot further than that : Milan and Juve have developed a culture of victory over the years which is unheard of in Rome, where people are much proner to justify their failures with victimisation.

I think it is fair to say that one scudetto in Rome equals 3 or 4 scudetti in Milan and Turin...

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
If Roma and Juve got together and swapped Totti for Del Piero, there would riots in both Rome and Turin. Both cities might be burned to the ground. In the Juve camp, we know that a talent like Del Piero comes along once every fifty years. Even when he is off form, we know what greatness is coming. Juventini would not swap DP for any player. And, everything I have said about our golden boy, Roma fans could say about Totti. So, we have a fruitless agrument that always makes for good conversation.

Now, who can I insult ...?

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
I will say this about DP and Totti. DP scares me. Scares me in the sense that once he is "on his game" you will constantly worry "when will he get in a slump again"? When will he get injured...get depressed...start missing and spiral into an endless crisis. He has shown time and time again that his biggest enemy is himself. He is unable to consistently play on a top level. He is unable to step up to the plate in big games. He is unable to deal with media and public pressure. He is unable to shake a bad game off his back right away. This is the main reason why I would want a Totti on my team over DP. Talent wise. I personally think its a matter of personal choice. A DP on his game form and at the top of his level is lethal. Totti has proven to be much more consistent. Much more confident in himself.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
I will say this about DP and Totti. DP scares me. Scares me in the sense that once he is "on his game" you will constantly worry "when will he get in a slump again"? When will he get injured...get depressed...start missing and spiral into an endless crisis. He has shown time and time again that his biggest enemy is himself. He is unable to consistently play on a top level. He is unable to step up to the plate in big games. He is unable to deal with media and public pressure. He is unable to shake a bad game off his back right away. This is the main reason why I would want a Totti on my team over DP. Talent wise. I personally think its a matter of personal choice. A DP on his game form and at the top of his level is lethal. Totti has proven to be much more consistent. Much more confident in himself.
Some would say that Totti is an arrogant bastard, rather than "confident in himself."

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Very true. His attitude is terrible and its no surprise where Cassano gets it from. That said Totti uses his brash cockiness to get himself out of a slump. If it his tool be it a rather "annoying" one it is something he has over Del Piero: the ability to get over a bad spell .. quicker. The ability not shut out certain things. Maybe he thinks he can do no wrong and in a way this allows him not to think about pressure or the grim reality of failure.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Technical skills, they are comparable, with possibly a slight edge to DP.

Efficiency and consistency however, would definitely have to go to Totti. He seems to get things accomplished with a minimum of effort, while the DP in current form(not just now, I'm talking the last few years), seems to have to work harder to acheive the same accomplishments.

What if they were to switch roles, whereas Totti would play striker, and DP would play in a support role. WHo would have greater success?? To me, Totti would. He already has a very good shot, can create in the smallest amount of space, and if he only had to cover half the field he does now, would be lethal. To me, DP would struggle more in the support role, because he would have more defensive reponsibilities, and isn't quite the passer that Totti is.

Face it, Totti is the premier Italian player in Serie A and the world.

Sure he's arrogant (I call it confident), Sure, he's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but we're not asking him to do Quadratic Equations for us, we're asking him to score goals and create.

Another point to ponder on. Totti hasn't had nearly the amount of talent on his teams that DP has had over the years, with the exception of Batistuta, DP has had nearly everyone under the sun, from Henry(although he was poorly used), Zidane, Nedved, Vialli, Deschamps, Vieri, pippo inzaghi, to Edgar Davids.

So the argument that one scudetto to Roma is like 5 for Milan and Juve is very true, especially considering that only 3 teams in the last 15 years have won the scudetto where they are based in Rome or further south. Lazio 99-00, Roma 00-01, and Napoli 89-90, and the one year excluding those three I just mentioned where Juve or Milan didn't win, another northern team, Sapdoria (genoa) won it 1990.

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
good point sergio, but id like to see totti getting injured like dp....
then lets see what he can do........

totti is a great player, better than dp now and the best italian player at the moment, but dont forget that totti will never reach the star that dp reached..

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
just to add, i guess lippi should talk to dp privately for a day, maybe he can influence the player positively because i think that del pieros problem is psychological not fitness or skills, i cant believe that dp is playing like this compared to his performance 1996-1997......

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by NEDVED ] ++
good point sergio, but id like to see totti getting injured like dp....
then lets see what he can do........

totti is a great player, better than dp now and the best italian player at the moment, but dont forget that totti will never reach the star that dp reached..
The first part is by far the poorest and most illogical arguement I have ever heard. Let's see Totti getting injured and see what he can do? Are you serious? What in the Hell does that have to do with who is better?? One when is injured..one is injured..bottom line. No one is better...both have to recover and heal because if you haven't noticed the human body must heal.

Secondly, you can't predict the future. In some aspects Totti is already better than DP in the NT. DP has yet to have an impact for Italy in an International tournament. Del Piero is also renound for choking and being anonymous in big games. A label he has never been able to shake. Talent wise is one thing...but never reach the STAR that DP was....when was he ever a star besides with Juventini? He has never reached Maldini, Baggio or even Vieri status for the National Team and Totti is well on his way.

Please..lets think..then write.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Sad but true.

As I see it, I think because DP plays in a bigger team than Totti, he gets more piblicity outside of Italy so foreign fans seem to prefer DP to Totti cos they get to see him more in action.

Italians on the other hand have the opportunity to see them both play and well Totti is preferred by the Italians.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Zizou you are right and other things help explain this as well. For the so-so Italians overseas in places like Canada and Australia which has the largest contingency of immigrants (of recent) from Italy they are not avid fans of Serie A. Many only watch during the WC. They hear of this great DP and then are very disillusioned when he plays. In 98 I was in Canada (Toronto) watching the WC. The turn out at games was tremendous...streets were blocked...cafe's shut for over-capacity streets lined with big screens. Most didn't really know much about Juve and Milan but rather fell in love with players like Vieri for their impact in these tournaments. Many hardcore Juventini and even general Serie A fans were spreading the word of Del Piero and in the end it made him over-rated. The last WC I was watching (on vacation) it in Melbourne. Another SUPER large Italian population. Most were actually Totti-Vieri fans because they remembered Vieri's contribution and loved Totti from the Euro and his WC run paired with Totti.
Its a sad fact but for most outside Italy Del Piero does not have high expectations in the WC.
We have to remember that not many in watch Serie A..for them YOU are what you are in the WC. Which is a shame because careers for players like Del Piero and Maldini in his last game are not indicative of their careers. However, its a fact.

satu

Jun 26, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
As I see it, I think because DP plays in a bigger team than Totti, he gets more piblicity outside of Italy so foreign fans seem to prefer DP to Totti cos they get to see him more in action.

Italians on the other hand have the opportunity to see them both play and well Totti is preferred by the Italians.
Oh stop being a jerk.
I live outside Italy and I can tell you that there's no such thing as Juve is a bigger team than Roma therefore DP gets more publicity than Tottina and that kinda stuff.
We get a good coverage of European football, CL and UEFA cups, Italian Seri A, Premiership, La Liga, Bundesliga, for free mind you, so stop dreaming that we're that ignorant.
Roma get the same amounts of coverage as Juve, but of course for this season Juve do get more coverage because they also play in CL. Is that DP's fault?
So 1 scudetto in Roma is equal with 3 or 4 in Juve. Well, Totti have 1 with Roma, DP have 5 with Juve. I'm not good with math but it seems that DP still have more.
Totti is a great player I admit that, but what exactly has he done for you to get such a high admiration? Except if you're a Romanista that is. He play great weeks in weeks out for Roma, hell yeah, but what exactly did he done more than DP in the NT?
Let say DP is a choker in big games and for NT, but just what have Totti won with the NT to get more credit than DP?
Who gets Italy through this Euro qualification anyway? Totti? Bah, he's too busy get injured. The same with Vieri. I'll give more credit for Pippa Inzaghi anyday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)