Als (1 Viewer)

nina

Feb 18, 2001
There's a relation as in they found more cases than in any other counrtry or more than usual? :scared:

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Is a very strange thing, is suspected to be a doping problem, it actually regard also some other sports...

mate

Aug 28, 2002
I don't know that mutch of this desease.... What I know is that ther's some ex soccerplayers (and other sportsmans) who recently died or get sick at a young age and they are trying to figure out why it happens... Next time I'll crasch in an article regarding it, I will post it.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
i knew the defensive and tactical italian style was unhealthy...:eek:

;)
no, seriously, what is this desease?!

NeLLy

Dec 6, 2002
ALSAmyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as "Lou Gehrig's disease," is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that attacks nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually lead to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With all voluntary muscle action affected, patients in the later stages of the disease become totally paralyzed. Yet, through it all, for the vast majority of people, their minds remain unaffected.

OP

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    Sorry I should have explained what I was looking for properly...

Im not looking for info about this issue.
    I have been following sports doping issues for the last 6 or so years and have in excess of 15000 pages of Information at hand.

As 'mate' pointed out this is not solely (or mainly) about football players but as this is a football forum I was looking for oppinions from the football side and have asked elsewhere for the oppinions of fans from other sports.

We are writing an article with regards to doping and especially ALS at the request of a reputable news agency.
    We felt it would be nice to Finnish the article with opinions from the fans on the subject, and as such be able to compare the thoughts of fans predominately of different sports.

Rather than thoughts on particular issues we are looking for a general reply to the original question from people with a knowlege of the subject in question.

The subject is far too complicated to address all issues or garner an off the cuff response from those without prior knowlege.

Thank You for your time.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    I'm not so informed about this argument, but I have to say that is strange to see that in Italy a lot of soccerplayers get sick or die 4 it... I readed few articles about the question and mostly they accost this "coincidence" with doping.
    Do you think that it's related?
    Actually I do.... cause it will be naife to think that doping regard just cyclysm, athletic and those kind of sport, it surely regard also soccer, maybe in a lesser way but it does 4 sure.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    Didn't Lou Gehrig play Baseball and hold the record for consecutive games played?
    I seem to remember Gary Cooper played him in a movie about his life story.
    He was the first to be diagnosed with this illness, hence the name.
    But this was way back in the time of black and white movies...so I would guess drugs didn't cause his particular problems.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
    We are writing an article with regards to doping and especially ALS at the request of a reputable news agency.
    We felt it would be nice to Finnish the article with opinions from the fans on the subject, and as such be able to compare the thoughts of fans predominately of different sports.
    I didn't know we had any Finns on the board...who are they? :LOL:

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    Didn't Lou Gehrig play Baseball and hold the record for consecutive games played?
    I seem to remember Gary Cooper played him in a movie about his life story.
    He was the first to be diagnosed with this illness, hence the name.
    But this was way back in the time of black and white movies...so I would guess drugs didn't cause his particular problems.
    I Haven't heard of that movie before but it is probably about him as it was very long time ago since he played. His good-bye speech is one true classic.
    :)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    Some ex players admitted using doping

"TURIN, 10 April 2003 - Ther's sensational novelty in the inquiries of Raffaele Guariniello, public ministry of the Attorney's office of Turin, in merit to the question on the spread of medicines in the world of the soccer. According to indiscretions trapelate in day, there the first substances of use of admissions would have been dopanti aside of former gamblers of series TO. Between the varied veins of the that question outstanding pertaining the high number of former atleti hit from the disease of Lou Gehrig, syndrome that destroys slowly the muscular equipment and that provoked, between the other, the death of the former captain of the Genoa Gianluca Signorini, deceased the past November. L' last death attribuibile to the illness was signalled to the Attorney's office of Turin actual Thursday and pertains. To speak openly of substances forbidden they former companions of squad of other sick gamblers would have been. In their deposizioni seems that they have told of ormoni and sat to base of flebo containing liquid not better identified. One of them it would have specified that his admissions would have ripened after to have seen produces it of some former companions and you
    connect. "

From http://www.gazzetta.it/statics/scalcio/pp_3.0.983045075.html

Sorry if the translation is crap I made it with the on line translator...

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++

I Haven't heard of that movie before but it is probably about him as it was very long time ago since he played. His good-bye speech is one true classic.
    :)
    I think it was called something like "Pride of The Yankees"

Geez, I'm showing my age now if I can remember that one (but not first time round hehe:D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)