Alex: We'll win for Agnelli (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Alex: We'll win for Agnelli
Saturday 24 January, 2004

Alessandro Del Piero remembers Juve President Gianni Agnelli a year on from his death and pledges to win the Scudetto in his memory.

“I and the whole team miss him terribly,” admitted the captain, “but we hope that soon we can give him the third star on the Juventus shirt.”

A golden star is awarded for every ten Italian titles won and currently the Bianconeri are the only side with two.

Honorary President Agnelli passed away in January 2003 and he was unable to celebrate their 27th Scudetto.

“When we went to pay our respects at the funeral service, it seemed as if the King of Italy had died.”

Del Piero was nicknamed ‘Pinturicchio’ by the FIAT owner and recalls their time together at the training ground.

“To be called to one side for a personal chat with him was a great honour,” explains the Italian international.

“Agnelli was a real connoisseur of football and I was always very touched and grateful to be given a new nickname by him.”

Meanwhile, Juventus travel to Empoli for Sunday’s match and it’s reported there will be changes to the tactical set-up.

Fabrizio Miccoli’s fine goal in the Coppa Italia win over Perugia midweek could earn him a spot in the starting eleven.

This would mean leaving David Trezeguet as lone striker with backing from Miccoli, Del Piero and Pavel Nedved in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
Alex: We'll win for Agnelli
Saturday 24 January, 2004

Del Piero was nicknamed ‘Pinturicchio’ by the FIAT owner and recalls their time together at the training ground.

“Agnelli was a real connoisseur of football and I was always very touched and grateful to be given a new nickname by him.”
Yeah right! Del Piero hates the name Pinturicchio, as it implies that he was only Leonardo's (i.e. Baggio's) assistant. And I believe he hates the name "Godot" even more.

Then again, Baggio's first nickname was "coniglio bagnato" (literally "wet rabbit", i.e. a softer version of the word "pu)ssy" if you like) as a reference to Roby's reluctance to get his feet wet so to speak.

I am sure that if the Avvocato was still around he'd have found some new nickname for Del Piero by now. Any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)