Aleksandar Kolarov - LB - Manchester City (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011

Full name: Aleksandar Kolarov
Date of birth: 10 November 1985
Place of birth: Belgrade, SFR Yugoslavia
Height: 1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)
Playing position: Left back​

Club career
Kolarov's football career started in the Red Star Belgrade youth system. He spent five years in the club, but never made the first team.
Čukarički

During January 2004, eighteen-year-old Kolarov moved across town to Čukarički, which played in the top-tier Serbia-Montenegro League. Signing a three-year contract, he finished out the 2003-04 season in the club's youth setup and during summer 2004 got introduced to full squad. Making 27 league appearances in his debut season, the youngster left a good impression, but couldn't help the beleaguered team avoid relegation.

He started the 2005-06 campaign for Čukarički in the second-tier league competition, but during the winter break controversially transferred to top-tier league club OFK Beograd.
OFK Beograd

Kolarov joined OFK Beograd in February 2006 and finished out the season with them, scoring his first league goal.

Lazio
In the summer of 2007, OFK Beograd sold Kolarov to Italian side Lazio for €925,000.

Kolarov's first goal for Lazio came at the Stadio Oreste Granillo in Reggio Calabria on 30 September 2007, as he hit a rocket from 40 meters to secure a draw against lowly Reggina. During his time in Rome, Kolarov has also gathered experience in the UEFA Champions League.

In his second season in Italy, Kolarov established himself as Lazio's first choice at left back, scoring a spectacular goal against Lecce at the Stadio Via del Mare. It got even better for the Serbian in the second Derby della Capitale of the season. With Lazio 3–2 up, Kolarov received the ball in defence from goalkeeper Fernando Muslera and proceeded to run the length of the pitch virtually unopposed. Having run 85 metres, Kolarov then slotted the ball past a hapless Doni in the Roma goal. Scoring in the penalty shootout in the 2009 Coppa Italia Final, thus helping Lazio win the trophy, capped a great season for the Serbian.

As the 2009–10 season drew to an end, Kolarov was instantly linked with a move away from Lazio with Manchester City and Real Madrid interested.

Manchester City
On 24 July 2010 it was announced that he had signed for Manchester City for £16 million. On 14 August 2010, Kolarov made his Premier League debut in a 0–0 draw against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane.[9] On 18 January 2011, Kolarov scored his first goal for the club in a 4–2 victory over Leicester City in the FA Cup while on 2 February 2011, Kolarov recorded his first Premier League goal from a free kick in a 2–2 draw against Birmingham City.

The summer 2011 arrival of Gaël Clichy to the club marginalized Kolarov's role in the squad and he saw his first team opportunities greatly reduced. On 14 September 2011, he scored an equaliser for City in the 1–1 draw against Napoli in their first 2011–12 UEFA Champions League group stage match. On Saturday 1 October 2011, he started and played the full 90 minutes in the left-back slot against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park in an important 4-0 away victory in the Barclays Premier League. He then added another with a long range swing which earned city a point against Sunderland at home.

International career
Kolarov was a part of the successful Serbia under-21 side which reached the final of the 2007 U-21 Championships held in the Netherlands.
As a key member of that side, Kolarov was named in the UEFA Team of the tournament. In the semi-final clash with Belgium, he scored a free-kick from long range. Also representing Serbia at the 2010 World cup and since playing a major role in Euro 2012 qualifiers and friendlies. Kolarov was eventually awarded for a good 2011 with the Serbian footballer of the year award.

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
If the price is right, then yes.

But if they are looking for 14m for a seldom used LB/LWB because Man City made the initial mistake of paying too much for him, then that is their problem

OP
ZoSo

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
  • Thread Starter #5
    Latest rumour is only €10m. Apparently he's on like €6m/year (bonuses included) at City though...

Xperd

'Toli Throater
    Jun 1, 2012
    Dont think we really need him tbh.

I'd only take him if he is either available on loan or we're left with enough funds for purchasing a LB when and while we make our supposed 'top player' purchase.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Only if we can get a good deal, otherwise look for other options, though considering its fullback position, pretty scarce...

Or wait, Schmelzer, I would much rather prefer if we signed him, if he was affordable too.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
    Jun 1, 2012
    Schmelzer is very slack defensively..Seen a lot of him last season.

I think PDC is much better than him defensively in my opinion.

Lord Vader

Apr 26, 2012
    Latest rumour is only €10m. Apparently he's on like €6m/year (bonuses included) at City though...
    I've read that he'd be willing to take a pay-cut to come back to Serie A and just to play more. Aleks is really, really good, and I believe he would be magnificent in that LWB position for us. I'd even pay the 14 mil € for him.

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    I have a feeling kolarov would explode here under conte.

Our midfield will be so damn strong our defense will be under much less pressure.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
    Nov 7, 2005
    I've read that he'd be willing to take a pay-cut to come back to Serie A and just to play more. Aleks is really, really good, and I believe he would be magnificent in that LWB position for us. I'd even pay the 14 mil € for him.
    Well said, Lord Vader.

Approval to proceed then, my Lord?

Xperd

'Toli Throater
    Jun 1, 2012
    Only if we're left with enough money to purchase him,otherwise i would pass on him.

OP
    ZoSo

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
  • Thread Starter #18
    I have a feeling kolarov would explode here under conte.

Our midfield will be so damn strong our defense will be under much less pressure.
    My thoughts exactly ;)

We're already very strong defensively and this guy would add another dimension to our attack. Even if he is a bit suspicious defensively, we'll have Chiellini or Marchisio to cover for him. Just like how Barzagli covers for a Licht a bit in transition because his positioning returning from attack is a bit dodgey sometimes.

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    My thoughts exactly ;)

We're already very strong defensively and this guy would add another dimension to our attack. Even if he is a bit suspicious defensively, we'll have Chiellini or Marchisio to cover for him. Just like how Barzagli covers for a Licht a bit in transition because his positioning returning from attack is a bit dodgey sometimes.
    Yes to all of it.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Schmelzer is very slack defensively..Seen a lot of him last season.

I think PDC is much better than him defensively in my opinion.
    LOL I wonder what you would think of Kolarov in that case...who is AWFUL defensively most of the time. Schmelzer is still growing as a player, but generally quite tactically aware and resilient marker of his winger compared to Kolarov.

P.S Both players would be fine as LWBs, not as big responsibilities defensively if deployed as wingback.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)