Agassi's career as a tennis player is over (1 Viewer)

incomplex

Mar 2, 2004
I think this guy position in history should be higher than Sampras,

extract from Wikipedia.

"He won eight Grand Slam singles titles and is one of only five players to have won all four Grand Slam singles events during his career. Agassi is the only player in the open era to have won every Grand Slam singles title, the Masters, the Davis Cup, and an Olympic gold medal.

Even Sampras failed to win all the four Grand Slam..

Great guy n player. I guess he won a lot of fan's heart by changing his style from the rebellious type to responsible kind of guy.

I'm still pissed because I dont see his final match. :cry:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
  • Thread Starter #24
    incomplex said:
    I think this guy position in history should be higher than Sampras,

extract from Wikipedia.

"He won eight Grand Slam singles titles and is one of only five players to have won all four Grand Slam singles events during his career. Agassi is the only player in the open era to have won every Grand Slam singles title, the Masters, the Davis Cup, and an Olympic gold medal.

Even Sampras failed to win all the four Grand Slam..

Great guy n player. I guess he won a lot of fan's heart by changing his style from the rebellious type to responsible kind of guy.

I'm still pissed because I dont see his final match. :cry:

that is correct, many people would regard sampras the better player but sampras never won the french open. he didnt play well on the clay court. Agassi won on every court and played well everywhere he went.

but the agassi sampras rivarly is one of the best in all of sports. i still remember the 2001 quarter finals when sampras got agassi at the U.S. Open. great match, best match i've ever seen.

OP

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
  • Thread Starter #27
    everybody enjoys retirement. espically if u get to retire at 36 and relax the rest of your life :D

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
    Andre was fantastic, a legend of the game and easily the most entertaining player of his generation, loved watching the guy, a class act too in every way.

thrilling send off the New York crowd gave him but the whole world will miss his talent.

Farewell Andre :toast:

incomplex

Mar 2, 2004
    Morra10 said:
    but the agassi sampras rivarly is one of the best in all of sports. i still remember the 2001 quarter finals when sampras got agassi at the U.S. Open. great match, best match i've ever seen.

correct!.. I am lucky enough to be able to watch that game, where Sampras won 6-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 with no breaks of serve during the entire match.

Tennis world surely gonna miss him :toast: :pint:

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
    I thought this was the appropriate ending for such a player compared to others who retired.

Sampras' retirement was one fitted for a Champion whose records and achievements defined his status within the game. After beating Agassi in the 2002 US Open Final we would never see him again on a tennis court again. We all knew it...but it would be officially confirmed a year after that achievement at the US Open again. I remember his retirement ceremony on the first day of the tournament - the usual suspects there; MacEnroe, Becker, etc... Sampras applauded on the Arthur Ashe Court with controlled emotion being displayed by Sampras. By the time he took the media conference after he was back into his 'professional' and 'concentrated' setting. Despite my love of the player and his talents, connecting emotionally with him was difficult as he was not charming in that way. It was just the official ending of a career.

Agassi could have also chosen a similar way of going out - after last year's US Open where he defied all odds and reached what would be his last Grand Slam Final. A meeting with Federer (who is close to unbeatable these days) and mounting an incredible effort having Federer on the ropes midway through the match. I would have considered this as big an achievement as Sampras' last match.

Instead he played on - getting thrashed by Davydenko in the Year-ending Masters Cup and promptly leaving the tournament after that match citing injury. Starting a new season missing the Australian Open through injury (a tournament he won four times) on top of declaring avoiding the entire claycourt season due to it's damaging effects on his body. He played a few minor tournaments losing to very average players. All ahead of appearing at Wimbledon one last time where it all began for him in terms of Grand Slam wins. On the middle Saturday in front of the Centre Crowd he took his bow after a loss to Rafael Nadal.

With his ranking in decline and health now a serious problem affecting his ability to compete he knew the end was in sight. Anouncing just before the US Open after getting himself fit for the tournament that it would be his last gave the fans the opportunity to give him the send-off he deserved. Each round the fans attended the Arthur Ashe stadium knowing it could be his last. The fans pulled him through the first two rounds. Eventually, the inevitable would happen and the scenes that followed were some of the most compelling the sport has witnessed.

Unlike Sampras his emotions weren't controlled and people who had never appreciated his tennis could not deny the connection he had with the public. So in that respect it was the perfect ending for a player who was defined as a great for more than just his achievements within the game. For that reason he'll be sorely missed.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Well said Intro :)

I have to remind you here that we do agree on one thing in the sports we follow, Sampras :touched:

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
    Jeeks said:
    Well said Intro :)

I have to remind you here that we do agree on one thing in the sports we follow, Sampras :touched:
    Thank you. My tribute to Agassi is deeper than his tennis because as you say I was a Sampras fan and don't subscribe to the theory that because Agassi won the French Open (therefore won all four major titles including the Olympic Gold Medal) he has a higher status in the sport than Sampras.

Whilst their rivalry was great and Sampras admits that Agassi pushed him to improve like no other player - there are really two key moments which show just how Sampras was always the better player. Sampras' final match just underlining the dominance but my favourite the 1999 Wimbledon Final.

Agassi had just made history winning the French Open and completing the 'Grand Slam'. He came into the final as perhaps favourite considering his form. Sampras defeated him in straight sets with probably the best grasscourt tennis that will ever be witnessed. After the match Agassi said "He walked on water".

Ironically, Agassi had won 13 straight matches before the loss and would take over the No. 1 ranking the next day from Sampras. But that would be little consolation.

"I feel mentally and emotionally a little beat up," he said. "I didn't feel like I was No. 1 today." :D

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    My fav tennis player of all time. Tennis will be boring without him. Federer is boring and I don't like Nadal. I hope he gets a job like Johnny Mac. It was nice to see Blake wear Agassi's early 90's Nike clothes. :D

ĵџvє_вãвγ

Earth Intruder
    Jul 5, 2006
    mark77 said:
    My fav tennis player of all time. Tennis will be boring without him. Federer is boring and I don't like Nadal. I hope he gets a job like Johnny Mac. It was nice to see Blake wear Agassi's early 90's Nike clothes. :D

i agree with youu
    tennis will be boring without himmm:(
    federer is boring and also i dont like his playing style............

OP

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
  • Thread Starter #37
    mark77 said:

ya it would of been even funnier if blake had an andre mullet.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    he was and always will be the best player for me...i still remember the french open final he was down 2-0 or something and still won the title...andre u r the best...u made ppl want to watch tennis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)