A season with Chelsea and Abramovich (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
Now Chelsea has finished their first season after Abramovich bought the club. A very controversial man and a very controversial way of ruling the club.
So now what would you say, was it a flip or a flop?

Flip is positive and Flop is negative.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
What's a flip? :D

Anyway I believe it was a flop. The man is only interested in purchasing big name players, focusing mainly on attacking minded players with technical skills.

He has neglected the backline and defensive midfield, resulting into a very unbalanced team.

Ranieri tried to fix it with the infamous rotation system, that just created dissatisfaction and, at later stages, insecurity.

He failed to create a team and it'll cost him dear. literally.

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #3
    Abramovich was obviously not satisfied with this year as he fired Ranieri. But I think it went way over my expectations. They went from being a mediocre team in England to become one of the four best teams in Europe.
    But with the potential the team had with a ll the big names you could have asked for a better more structured play. It was mainly individual actions that made the goals for Chelsea this season. Next year we will probably see more even bigger names coming in. But what they really need now is a good trainer who can give them stability and peace.
    So well was it a flip or flop?
    I'd say a flip anyway, because they managed to make some really good results and they have a young squad so we can expect mroe from them the coming years.

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    What's a flip? :D

Anyway I believe it was a flop. The man is only interested in purchasing big name players, focusing mainly on attacking minded players with technical skills.

He has neglected the backline and defensive midfield, resulting into a very unbalanced team.

Ranieri tried to fix it with the infamous rotation system, that just created dissatisfaction and, at later stages, insecurity.

He failed to create a team and it'll cost him dear. literally.
    i disagree. quite natural that he's more fond on attacking players and from what i've heard roman doesnt know his football very well. so he goes for big names. however he also bought bridge, johnson, makelele and as zambrotta said chelsea now have a very young team with loads of talent. so in couple of years they will more of a threat both internationally and domestically.

i say it was a flip :D, after all, second in epl and semies of cl. not bad at all.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    I recall statements that "Chelsea is not expected to do anything big this year" by both Abramovich and Ranieri at the beginning of the season. So, I guess CL semifinal and EPL 2nd place is a great achievement for them.

Abramovich did not want to keep Ranieri in the club from the beginning. I am sure if Chelsea wasn't that impressive from the start, Ranieri would've been surely replaced.

EPL became more competative.

Is "flip" positive, or "flop"? :D

Anyways, it's been nice to have new Chelsea around this year. We'll see what happens next year.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    I say a flip...because they achieved more or less good results and reached the semis of the champions league. For a team like chelsea, it can be taken as a succes. Now, oit could have been better with a more prepared coach,.
    If they find a coach who can manage well the team and fix their faults this season..surely they will improve-...and with Roman´s money.. they can think freely in what to do next season.

Aug 1, 2003
    It's a flip comparing to how chelsea did lately for the past seasons, but also a flop considering people's expectations of chelsea this year are much bigger. which is stupid imo

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    This has turned into a horrible thread just because of Zambrotta's terminoloy :LOL:

Someone answer the poor bastard's question :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)