A little thought experiment (2 Viewers)

Instate slavery?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
No, I meant that there is proof of direct slavery in the UAE. So you see that people don't have such a big problem with it.

It's a blatant violation of human rights, and its an extremely disgusting thing whats happening here. Go back to the Dubai thread, and you'd see that i was completely against it.

Though i'll give you that most UAE nationals have no problem with whats happening and actually are quite dismissive of it all, at least most UAE nationals that i've met.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's a blatant violation of human rights, and its an extremely disgusting thing whats happening here. Go back to the Dubai thread, and you'd see that i was completely against it.

Though i'll give you that most UAE nationals have no problem with whats happening and actually are quite dismissive of it all, at least most UAE nationals that i've met.
I didn't say you were in favour of slavery because you lived in the UAE, Fred. What I mean is that apparently a lot of people don't care about it that much. And that's when it's happening right in front of you. So if Europeans enslave people in Africa, most of us don't really care.

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
I am reading jackass, you love putting words into people's mouths just like what you did with Fred there. If you think people don't have a problem with direct slavery in the UAE, then you don't know what you're talking about.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I didn't say you were in favour of slavery because you lived in the UAE, Fred. What I mean is that apparently a lot of people don't care about it that much. And that's when it's happening right in front of you. So if Europeans enslave people in Africa, most of us don't really care.
Yes, but i thought this poll was about each person's personal opinion. I was not aware that we were speaking on behalf of other people :luckyluke:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I am reading jackass, you love putting words into people's mouths just like what you did with Fred there. If you think people don't have a problem with direct slavery in the UAE, then you don't know what you're talking about.
It's more of a processing problem. You are able to read, but you are not able to understand.

Yes, but i thought this poll was about each person's personal opinion. I was not aware that we were speaking on behalf of other people :luckyluke:
No no, that's not what I meant. I mean that people are quite simply wrong when they say it's an easy question. If it was such an easy question, then why are there so many people who don't have a problem with slavery?

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
It's more of a processing problem. You are able to read, but you are not able to understand.
I think it's a habit of yours when you know others are somewhat right and you become all ignorant and start criticizing them thinking they have no idea what there talking about

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

No no, that's not what I meant. I mean that people are quite simply wrong when they say it's an easy question. If it was such an easy question, then why are there so many people who don't have a problem with slavery?
I never said it was an easy question. Go read my posts again. I didn't even say that i would vote no if put in such a situation. I said that you never know, how did you infer that i thought it was an easy question??

This is a post of mine in Martin's thread

Not justified whatsoever. Verynine's thread was a challenging question, this one isn't imo.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think it's a habit of yours when you know others are somewhat right and you become all ignorant and start criticizing them thinking they have no idea what there talking about
No, it's a habit of mine to call them ignorant when they willfully misunderstand people.

OP
Dinsdale
Jun 26, 2007
  • Thread Starter #110
    Yes, but the scenario brought about removes all consequence leaving only one choice which of course isn't made under a moral pretense. In a sense, you already know the answer to the question. Which is why I deemed it silly.
    I don't know about that. Maybe people who truely believe morality is divine will never give up on their moral values, even if it means enduring (moderate) hardship to save others from worse hardship. I don't think it makes sense to believe that, but some people probably will.

Why not leave the consequences and allow people to come to their own decisions? By limiting the ability to place pros against cons, by basically eliminating the cons, you really limit the depth of thought.
    Because by making abstraction of all downside factors except breaking moral values, it makes you think about the purpose and origin of morality . Otherwise it would rather be a political debate. I know it's an abstract way of thinking, and I now realize a lot of people have trouble applying it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)