60's (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
Although nobody here was active during this era I think it deserves a thread as it ment a lot for music.

A lot from this period was crap if you ask me, but there are some revolutionary groups.

I picked up my Beatles records last week and I must admit that they are really good. I am not a very big fan of them but I can't imagine that any group has produced so many hits and in so many genres. My favourite from them is actually Penny lane.

I like Rolling stones more than the Beatles. Their best songs are a lot better than Beatles best, but Beatles has more good songs. I really like them live aswell, Miss you and Angie are my favourites.

CCR is great some days I think they are better than stones. Have you ever seen the rain is my big fav.

I can't come up with any more groups now, perhaps there are none.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
The only who could ever teach me, was the son of a preacher man

By who was that again?

You got some other songs from the sixties that everybody knows like House of the rising sun but it's not a very good decade over all imo.

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #6
    The thing is that there was almost only one hit wonders. Like Mungo Jerry, Darlene Love, sam cooke... as far as I know they only had one hit.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    The only who could ever teach me, was the son of a preacher man
    Recorded by Dusty Springfield in 1969, then by Aretha Franklin on 1970 and then by many others - but those two versions are the most famous.
    Oh and of course they both are great.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
    The thing is that there was almost only one hit wonders. Like Mungo Jerry, Darlene Love, sam cooke... as far as I know they only had one hit.

Sam Cooke a one hit Wonder???

His song " A change is gonna come" practically kick-started the civil rights movements in the 60's, my good man.

The only reason he doesn't have more hits is because he died at a young age, but he is one of the pioneers of soul movement.

And the Beatles are the greatest group of all time.

As far as groups/singers of the 60's, god there's a ton.

The Stones, Doors, Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead, Beach Boys (whose "Pet Sounds" album may be the single greatest album ever made, along with the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper", The Byrds, The Kinks, james Brown, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Jimi Hendrix, Otis Redding, Ike & Tina Turner, Marvin Gaye, Eric Clapton & Cream, CCR, oh, the list goes on and on. Definitely the most fertile period of modern Music.

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++

And the Beatles are the greatest group of all time.
    I disagree.

There's been alot of great musicians, but The Beatles are not among them. They made simple tunes, cathy but simple music that paid off. They kick-started the awful pop-industry of half-assed musicians who'll do anything to make a quick buck. That might not had been their intention, they were probably to high to notice what was going on... but they did.

Now all we see is stupid boybands, all singing the same old simple songs, and unfortunately there's so many people who like useless crap like that. And all of this started cuz of the damn Beatles. lol... I might have gone to far... now half the forum is gonna kill me.

You can teach a monkey and a goat to play Beatles songs... it's so damn simple and easy. Some call it brilliant, I call it pure luck and a big-ass bag of weed/LSD/whatever they were high on. Shit man, there's nothing to their music - it's so boring.

Ok, I'm ready... let me have it.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaliman ] ++

I disagree.

There's been alot of great musicians, but The Beatles are not among them. They made simple tunes, cathy but simple music that paid off. They kick-started the awful pop-industry of half-assed musicians who'll do anything to make a quick buck. That might not had been their intention, they were probably to high to notice what was going on... but they did.

Now all we see is stupid boybands, all singing the same old simple songs, and unfortunately there's so many people who like useless crap like that. And all of this started cuz of the damn Beatles. lol... I might have gone to far... now half the forum is gonna kill me.

You can teach a monkey and a goat to play Beatles songs... it's so damn simple and easy. Some call it brilliant, I call it pure luck and a big-ass bag of weed/LSD/whatever they were high on. Shit man, there's nothing to their music - it's so boring.

Ok, I'm ready... let me have it.

I suggest that you listen to Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, The White Album, and Let it Be, and then you tell me that their music is "simple and boring".

In a poll among musicians and music writers a few years ago, not fans like you or I, but people in the business, voted on the 100 greatest albums of all time. 5 Beatles albums- Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album, were in the top 10. The only album released in the last 15 years to even be in the top 10 was Nirvana's "Nevermind".

The beatles "1" album, which is a collection of greatest hits, sold over 25 million copies worldwide.
    What's the big deal? Well, considering that when the album was released, the Beatles hadn't released a new song in 30 years, that's pretty amazing.

You are entitled to your opinion, but to call John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George harrison and Ringo Starr 'half-assed' musicians is WAY off base.

So what you're saying is that these artists, who on their own gave us "Imagine", "Woman" "Whatever gets you through the night" "Give peace a chance", "Beautiful Boy" "Instant Karma", "Live and Let Die", "Band on the Run", "Jet","maybe I'm amazed", "My sweet Lord".............etc. were not really all that talented, and are the product of their record labels, like all the cookie-cutter boy and girl acts that are out there today.

RRRIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTTTTT.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    :D
    If people they buy their records in 30 years in 25 millions copies - then they will be equal at least ;)

I'm not fan of Beatles, I like only few of their songs, but I disagree with you Anders: in those times they were really sth big, and they are milestone in history of music, that's the fact.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    foundations - build me up buttercup
    foundations - baby, now that I've found you
    supremes - you can't hurry love
    supremes - stop in the name of love
    supremes - baby love
    supremes - you just keep me hanging on
    animals (?) - house of the rising sun

I'm struggling......
    not a beatles fan either

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    But at least you like the National Football League, so you can't be half bad:D:D:D

We can agree to disagree.
    No, I'm not that bad :D

We're just from different times and like different tkind of music - it's as simple as that.

I'm from a time were some people are absolutely amazed by how many albums a band like The Beatles could sell. Cuz IMHO there was really not that much to it. But then again, I should shut it, cuz I can't make any music myself.

I didn't exactly call them half-assed musicians. I said their music kick-started the industry with blah blah... :blah:

++ [ originally posted by -CSD- ] ++
    right Kalle, and Incubus is the best right? :D
    :D Yeah :stuckup:

No, man - I don't think they're the greatest of all time. But they are my favorite band these days.

++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
    :D
    If people they buy their records in 30 years in 25 millions copies - then they will be equal at least ;)

I'm not fan of Beatles, I like only few of their songs, but I disagree with you Anders: in those times they were really sth big, and they are milestone in history of music, that's the fact.
    Because you sell alot of records doesn't automatically make you a great musician. FFS Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Linkin Park and whatever have sold millions of albums, it doesn't mean they're great musicians, it just means there's an incredible amount of people with bad taste in music ;) :D

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #18

Sam Cooke a one hit Wonder???

His song " A change is gonna come" practically kick-started the civil rights movements in the 60's, my good man.

The only reason he doesn't have more hits is because he died at a young age, but he is one of the pioneers of soul movement.
    Ehm, you're saying he only has one hit. But he shouldn't be considered as a one-hit winder because he died at a young age? :confused:

What says that he should make a lot of hits if he would have lived longer?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++

Ehm, you're saying he only has one hit. But he shouldn't be considered as a one-hit winder because he died at a young age? :confused:

What says that he should make a lot of hits if he would have lived longer?

Here are his other top10 hits that he had

You send me #1
    Chain Gang #1
    Twistin the night away #5
    havin a Party #3
    Another Saturday Night #4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)