Martin Jol sacked (1 Viewer)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Tottenham Hotspur confirmed the sacking of manager Martin Jol following the club's Uefa Cup defeat by Getafe.
Reports swept around White Hart Lane during the match but his departure was not confirmed until later on Thursday.

"I shall never forget the Spurs fans," Jol said in a statement. Assistant Chris Hughton was also sacked.

Clive Allen and Alex Inglethorpe take charge for Sunday's game with Blackburn while Sevilla coach Juande Ramos is favourite to take over.

bbc.com

Jol made great team, but the latest results were too awful + it seemed like he has loosed his reputation in players eyes, so i guess this was the right thing to do.
MARTIN JOL'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY (in memorium)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Pfft.

Been coming for weeks.

I just chucked the news in the EPL thread. Didn't consider it worthy of its own one.

OP

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
  • Thread Starter #6
    Hmm he quitted!He was not sacked, after his defeat yesterday he resigned. I think he will go and train Ajax in january.

OK, who actually cares about that, he would have been sacked anyway, sooner or later :) If you`re right, than it will be quite interesting to see how he uses Davids - in Spurs he said that Edgar cant play full match, but after that Davids came to Ajax and put Jol`s words into his face - scored great goal and gave 2 assists in 3 matches + was true leader. aberdeen guy - sorry, didnt checked.

Mar 24, 2006
    I just didn't get the reason why Tottenham playing like Shit and Inconsisten in this season :confused: , considering they got an Good Enough Squad , even for battle to the CL Spot , Now They really need to tidy up their morale before it's too late .

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Hmm he quitted!He was not sacked, after his defeat yesterday he resigned. I think he will go and train Ajax in january.
    No actually he was sacked...and rightfully so..you dont spend over 50M to be fighting against relegation..and people said they will overtake Arsenal this season:disagree:

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    cant say i'm surprised, i think the spurs board had already taken the decission earlier in the season they just waited for the right slip to get him sacked. i know he was on the verge of getting sacked but after the chelsea game ( if i'm not mistakened) he was given the chance to carry on.

JuveAdam

Moggi santo..subito
    Sep 12, 2006
    Jol too nice a guy to manage a big club. Sadly for him, thats what he had Spurs close to being, so now he gets the bullet. Kinda like CR at Chelsea......

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    And so the cycle begins again...how many managers has it been now? To all those saying he's spent 50m this season, Tottenham have been lavish spenders every year for a decade now. There is no manager that can turn a midtable team into a championship contender without going through his share of crises. They've got the money and the players, what they need is continuity. And that's the problem with people who try to run a football club from a boardroom, when a team meets misfortune (as Tottenham has) it triggers a knee-jerk reaction and someone goes under the guillotine.

I assure you that Tottenham will find themselves rebuilding the foundations for the umpteenth time this decade with Jol's departure. And they will continue the vicious cycle until they learn, because the the route is tried and tested. Tottenham, Lazio, Newcastle, Roma, and Bolton all have two things in common. Firstly that they got rid of their managers when the going got tough in their quest to join the ranks of the leagues' elite. Secondly they all subsequently failed.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    You cant put Lazio and Roma in the same category as the other 3 teams.They won their respective leagues not so long ago,unlike the other teams you mentioned.Roma especially,are a force to be reckoned with.

JuveAdam

Moggi santo..subito
    Sep 12, 2006
    Tottenham, Lazio, Newcastle, Roma, and Bolton
    2 points.

1, Roma e Lazio actually won trophies during their spell of "chasing the dream"

2. Lazio, Roma & Bolton never sacked their managers during the spells you mention. Sven left Lazio because he'd already signed for England & so his mind wasn't on the job (a 1st in the SGE household I think :D ), Crapello did a midnight runner in Moggi's boot to join us & Big Sam left Bolton to take over at Newcastle.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    JuveAdam, your first point proves my point to a T. They both won trophies with the original managers who elevated them to that level, namely Eriksson and Capello, not after they left. After their departure it went downhill for them, albeit to varying degrees. Roma remain a credible force in Serie A but I believe nobody will disagree that they were better when Capello was at the helm.

Secondly. My point is that continuity is the most important when a club is trying to make a difficult transition to join the league's elite, and a manager leaving before that position is cemented is going to be detrimental to that goal. That much has been evident at all the clubs mentioned. As for why they left, I suppose that is a secondary factor, and it can be argued that the clubs should have fought harder to hold on to their managers. A couple of corrections though; Capello's departure was partly due to the fact that Roma had been late in their salary payments, many players were similarly victims. The club was undergoing investigation for financial irregularities IIRC. As for Sam Allardyce, I can assure you Newcastle came knocking only after he left the Reebok, not prior.

JuveAdam

Moggi santo..subito
    Sep 12, 2006
    As for Sam Allardyce, I can assure you Newcastle came knocking only after he left the Reebok, not prior.
    Allardyce left Bolton to be appointed Newcastle manager in exactly the same way Juande Ramos has done at Seville this week.

Your point about continuity is fair, however mostly a myth created by struggling managers as its so rare for a club to change an established elite, often changing managers can break a team in to elite immediately, the following sackings have led to instant success; Santini (at Spurs & Lyon), Houllier at Liverpool, Ranieri at Chelsea, Rexach at Barca, Floro at Real Madrid, Trappatoni at Bayern, Maifredi here at Juventus, it goes on.

Mar 6, 2005
    No actually he was sacked...and rightfully so..you dont spend over 50M to be fighting against relegation..and people said they will overtake Arsenal this season:disagree:
    1. yes, he was asked to resign, hence sacked
    2. He didn't spend over 50M on players.. Dean Comolli did. Comolli didn't buy the players Jol wanted and sorely needed (such as a left midfielder) but instead sells a very capable striker and buys a very average one for 17 million quid.. travesty

and I'm sorry to say, had Jol gotten the players he wanted (an experienced centre back and a left midfielder), and the scandal at the beginning of the season not upsetting the players, then things might have gone a bit differently...

I love Martin Jol, Martin Jol loves me..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)