Zidane Announces Retiement (1 Viewer)

Philipp00

Jan 31, 2004
I think he had his best years at juventus. he won the cl with real but his last two years were not that goos.
nevertheless an unforgettable player. he will always be remembered as the best of his time.

Juventinho

Hamilton saved my ass...
Nov 4, 2004
Few i thought they were talking about the Egytpian Zidan i mean the guy is still young. but it truned out that they are talking about this guy who plays for Los Putas.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Why there's nothing not to love about Zizou

He's had a legendary career, but he's more than a football star in France. He's a (multi)cultural icon and a old-fashioned hero. Our profile charts his greatness on and off the pitch.

Zinedane Zidane will bring down the curtain on a glittering football career after the World Cup but is already assured a place among the sport's greats.

No matter how well or badly the French team fare in the June 9-July 9 World Cup in Germany, 'Zizou' will head into international and club retirement with his place in footballing folklore cast in stone.

The French star, a father-of-four who turns 34 in June, gained footballing immortality when his two headed goals in the 1998 final helped humble Brazil and hand hosts France their first World Cup title.

Considered one of the true footballing greats, Zidane has won every title worth winning and his two bullet headers past Brazil goalkeeper Claudio Taffarel at the Stade de France six years ago ensured his place in French hearts.

In stark contrast, at the 2002 World Cup his injury-enforced absence was sorely felt with the titleholders crashing to Senegal and drawing 0-0 with Uruguay. He was fit to play for the third match against Denmark but by then it was all too late.

Now the French press are dreaming of a glorious World Cup send-off for Zidane. Could it happen?

'Incredible destiny'

Leading sports daily L'Equipe dedicated five pages to the legendary 33-year-old Real Madrid playmaker's comments confirming his decision to hang up his boots.

"I've arrived at the end," ran the headline in the sports daily.

In its editorial L'Equipe said they held out the "crazy hope" that the French skipper would lead the national side to the World Cup final.

"And if incredible destiny lead Zinedine Zidane to the very limit of a new adventure with Les Bleus in Germany on July 9 next," wrote L'Equipe editor Claude Droussent.

Left-wing newspaper Libération were not as optimistic fearing that 1998 World Cup winner and 2000 European champion could be setting himself up for a disastrous career finale. "As France are far from being the favourite in the competition Zidane is running the risk of messing up his exit."

Yet, after earning the dubious distinction of becoming the first reigning World Cup champions not to even score a goal in the next edition, France and their inspirational midfielder are hungry to atone for that debacle.

France coach Raymond Domenech can only hope now that with all speculation well and truly buried over his future plans, Zidane will be fully focused on leading a strong French bid to claim the Jules Rimet trophy in Germany.

"The fact he has announced his retirement now will allow him to prepare well for the World Cup and be able to play in peace," said Domenech. "I know that he really wants to succeed in Germany and I'm convinced that he still has the most beautiful page of his sporting history to write: winning a second World Cup with the Blues."

The road to greatness

FIFA's three-time Footballer of the Year was born to immigrant Algerian parents in 1972. He made his France debut in 1994 against the Czech Republic when he scored the first two of his 28 international goals.

Having broken the hearts of his home town fans by never playing for Marseille, Zidane's club career took off under Luis Fernandez' Cannes side before his 17th birthday. Two years later he was on the international stage.

After a spell at Bordeaux, Zidane moved to Juventus who splashed out US $4 million to secure his artistry.

In Italy Zidane's stock rose sharply as he won the European Super Cup, two Intercontinental Cups and two Italian championships.

After helping France win Euro 2000 Real Madrid got out a cheque and wrote the figure US $63.6 million on it — then the highest transfer ever.

In 2004, after 28 goals in 98 international appearances, Zidane said he was quitting international football. Last August he agreed to return with France having endured a tortuous World Cup qualifying campaign. At the Bernabeu, however, Real and Zidane have failed to reach their exacting standards over three trophy-less years.

Now, he's leaving Real Madrid with another year left on his contract, although he says he may stay on in with the club in another capacity.

"I'd like to stay with Real Madrid - we have a project which would see me something related to (working with) the kids," said Zidane.

Age has slowly been catching up with him and the effort has increasingly shown.

"The past two years I haven't been on top form and that's no good when you play at a club like Real," Zidane said. "Things come to an end — that's life."

A Real Madrid statement Wednesday dubbed Zidane "one of the greatest players, who helped magnify the history of Real Madrid with his elegance and fantasy football."

The 1998 World Cup remains the high point however, at least to Zidane himself.

"It's every player's dream to win the World Cup. When you realise you've won one, something so few players have done, then that goes down as my best achievement," Zidane added.

The love pours in

A host of French footballing legends paid tribute after the announcement of his decision.

France legend Michel Platini, who like Zidane also starred for Juventus, said Zidane's brace of goals in the World Cup final left its mark on a whole generation.

"I think his two goals (in the final) left in indelible mark on a whole generation," said Platini.

"Technically, I think he was the king of what's fundamental in the game: control and passing, because I don't think anyone can match him when it comes to controlling or receiving the ball."

Marcel Desailly, also a member of that 1998 squad, told Europe 1: "Zidane made us dream."

In fact, he did more than that.

He turned the dream into reality.

Expatica

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
from juventuz.com:

Clubs In Career
1988-1992 AS Cannes 61 (6)
1992-1996 Girondins Bordeaux 139 (28)
1996-2001 Juventus 151 (24)
2001- Real Madrid 142 (34)

Interesting, he played more games for us, but scored more goals for Real :D

Forza Serie A !!!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Elvin said:
You sure he deserves that, man ? Yeah he's a football legend, but not nesesarily a Juve legend ;)

Just saying :)
No, I'm not sure, but he was an awesome player who spent his five best years at Juve.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
I think I agree with what Mikhail said about Zidane. Zizou really makes a great difference on the pitch. I would thank him for the services he gave for Juventus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)