Zidane Announces Retiement (2 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Zinedine Zidane factbox

1972 - Born June 23, Marseille, France.

1988 - Joins Cannes. Scores six goals in 61 league appearances.

1992 - Joins Girondins Bordeaux. Scores 28 goals in 139 league appearances during four seasons.

1994 - August 17, makes France debut in 2-2 draw against the Czech Republic. Scores two goals in 17 minutes after coming on as a second-half substitute.

1995-96 - UEFA Cup runner-up with Bordeaux.

1996 - Moves to Juventus. Helps the club win two Serie A titles in his first two seasons.

Wins the European Super Cup and the World Club Cup with Juventus.

1997 - May 28, plays for Juventus in 3-1 defeat by Borussia Dortmund in final of Champions League.

1998 - May 20, plays for Juventus in 1-0 defeat by Real Madrid in final of Champions League.

June 1, sent off after 70 minutes of France's 4-0 first-round victory over Saudi Arabia in World Cup. Misses next two matches.

July 12, heads two first-half goals to help France win their first World Cup with a 3-0 victory over Brazil.

December 21, wins the 1998 European Player of the Year award.

1999 - February 1, wins 1998 World Player of the Year award.

2000 - June, named player of the tournament as he helps France to victory in Euro 2000.

September, extends his contract with Juventus to 2005.

October, receives five-match ban from UEFA after being sent off for headbutting Hamburg's Jochen Kientz, his second successive sending off in Champions League matches.

December, wins World Player award for the second time.

2001 - Juventus finish second in Serie A, two points behind champions Roma. Scored 28 goals in a total of 191 matches in five seasons at Juventus.

July 9, becomes the world's most expensive player as he moves from Juventus to Real Madrid for up to $66 million.

2002 - May 15, helps Real Madrid win the Champions League with a majestic winner in the 2-1 final victory over Bayer Leverkusen.

May 27, a thigh injury picked up in a warm-up match against South Korea forces Zidane out of the first two matches of the World Cup finals.

He returns for the final group match against Denmark but has no impact as France lose 2-0 and head out of the tournament.

December 3, wins second World Club Cup as Real beat South American champions Olimpia 2-0.

2003 - Wins Spanish title with Real Madrid, leads France into Euro 2004 finals with perfect record of eight wins from eight matches.

December 15 - Wins World Player of the Year award for the third time.

2004 - Feb - Extends his Real Madrid contract until June 30 2007.

April 22, named top European Player of the last 50 years in a public poll to mark UEFA's Golden Jubilee.

May - Admits he is in the worst form in five years.

June 13, scores an injury-time free kick and penalty as France stage an astonishing comeback to beat England 2-1 at Euro 2004.

August 12, Announces retirement from international football almost 10 years since making his debut.

2005 - August 3, announces that he will resume playing for France to help them qualify for the World Cup.

August 17, scores a goal in comeback appearance, a 3-0 victory over Ivory Coast.

October 12, France qualify for the World Cup with 4-0 win over Cyprus, Zidane opens the scoring.

Suffers a series of injury niggles that limit his appearances for Real Madrid and he fails to shine when playing for the Primera Liga side.

2006 - Jan 15 - One bright spot in an otherwise poor season when he scores his first hat-trick in 4-2 win over Sevilla. Real are knocked out of the King's Cup by Real Zaragoza in February and put out of the Champions League by Arsenal the following month.

April 25, Zidane announces that he will retire after the World Cup.

----------------------------------------------

Bye, Zidane...

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
Zidane: "Sempre grato alla Juve"
26 04 2006
Zinedine Zidane annuncia il ritiro dopo i Mondiali e non dimentica la Juventus. "La tappa italiana è stata forse la migliore della mia carriera - ha detto -. Ho un ricordo particolare dell'avvocato Gianni Agnelli, un uomo pieno di carisma. Fu lui a volermi alla Juve, e gliene sarò sempre grato. Se la mia carriera è diventata importante nel mondo, è stato grazie alla maglia juventina".
--------------------------------------------------

Zidane thanks juve and say´s that the years at juve had been great and that without the shirt of juve he was not gonna be what he is. he also had a very special relation to the avvocato agnelli...

forza zizou, I like players who pay tribut for their old clubs. not like the bitch Inzaghi, who forgot how important juve was for him..

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
Aug 12, 2005
Maresca said:
Zidane: "Sempre grato alla Juve"
26 04 2006
Zinedine Zidane annuncia il ritiro dopo i Mondiali e non dimentica la Juventus. "La tappa italiana è stata forse la migliore della mia carriera - ha detto -. Ho un ricordo particolare dell'avvocato Gianni Agnelli, un uomo pieno di carisma. Fu lui a volermi alla Juve, e gliene sarò sempre grato. Se la mia carriera è diventata importante nel mondo, è stato grazie alla maglia juventina".
--------------------------------------------------

Zidane thanks juve and say´s that the years at juve had been great and that without the shirt of juve he was not gonna be what he is. he also had a very special relation to the avvocato agnelli...

forza zizou, I like players who pay tribut for their old clubs. not like the bitch Inzaghi, who forgot how important juve was for him..

Word.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Even in more recent times, I was just thinking about that sweet free kick he nailed in Euro 2004 against England....

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
He was my first real idol. Since his beggining at juve u could see a magic in this guy. Because of him i started watching Juve games and became a fan of the club.

His vision , his elegant and skillful style were unmatched and i really think that together with maradona and Pele, he has been just apart from the rest.

He is a legend. Period.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
even though ive never been a fan of his,and ive felt that ranking him alongside the likes of pele is maradona isnt right,the game will miss him.

i hope he enjoys a good post-football life,which i guess will be in france.

off topic,but which juventus legends are still living in turin?anyone got the names?

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Forza Zizou, I must say I feel almost privileged at times to have witnessed such a player in my lifetime. Ronaldinhos may come and go, but Zidane is a one-off IMO.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
I dont remember seeing anyone like ronaldinho. The man is a horse, but he is one damn agile horse :shocked:

Zidane is.....Zidane :touched:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)