Zealand 1-8 Australia (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
So the Australian National Team decided to play a friendly game against the Zealand Provincial Team, my home province, before their friendly against Holland on Sunday. :weee:

Never mind the embarassing scoreline I guess... :sad:

Anyway, thought some of you might be interested in this, the mother of all games..!

Oh and I instructed a considerable number of people to get me Timmy Cahill's shirt, the better the chance of getting if you have a small army working with you, right? Of course nobody succeeded in doing that despite the match being played on a field with one miserable tiny stand and no security. :doh:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
"For the Danish Island, see Zealand. For the British island, see Sealand. For the U.S. towns, see Zeeland, Michigan and Zeeland, North Dakota respectively. " (Wikipedia)

And if you're really sure you really wanted to know something about Zeeland, you're right.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Ahh so NEW Zealand's actually named after a real place? You learn something new every day :)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
gray said:
Ahh so NEW Zealand's actually named after a real place? You learn something new every day :)
I just love those "New" places. There you have a wonderful and most of all gigantic country and it's called after Zeeland. As if it's a cheap rip off :D.

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
Ronnie Rates 'Roos

Despite the fact that Australia are preparing for only their first World Cup in 32 years, Brazilian superstar Ronaldinho is not taking the Group F opponents lightly -especially as they have a certain Mr Guus Hiddink on board.

"Even though Australia looks a formidable team and they are our key group rivals, I have to admit that I'm fascinated by them from a purely personal point of view," the recent UEFA Champions League winner told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"Apart from appointing one of the top four or five coaches in the world, what Australia did when they signed Hiddink was drag world attention onto themselves. Anyone with an interest in soccer understands that Hiddink is a magnificent achiever and someone whose names stand for perpetual success. So I think that focused people's attention, all around the world, on how Australia might do in qualifying.

The Barcelona star realises that the World Champions may have a rival in the affections of neutral fans across the globe.

"It seems to me that Australia has become an easy team for the neutrals to support. Everyone I speak to seems to have a good word for Australia in a sporting sense and lots of decent judges have identified them as a team which could make a surprising impact in Germany.

Unlike Ronaldo who claimed never to have heard of Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka, the World Player of the Year will not be underestimating the Socceroos.

"I can't claim to know the first-choice team player by player, yet, but I know about the majority of top players and I'm aware that most of Australia's key men play in leagues scattered all around the world.

"Given the difficulties we in Brazil face with that same problem and travelling to and from qualifying matches or friendlies, I do find it remarkable that a slightly smaller soccer nation like Australia can achieve all that they have done."

He places a good deal of credit for that at the feet of one man - Guus Hiddink.

"Literally everywhere he's gone, Valencia, Real Madrid, PSV, Korea, Australia, Hiddink has been a byword for popular, winning football and I respect that."

"Not many coaches get the kind of phone calls he's been getting from FC Barcelona, from Real Madrid, from Roman Abramovich and from the English FA. He's in demand because he's a coach who achieves massive success, who has won the Champions League and who took Korea to the brink of the World Cup final four years ago.

"I hope that when we play Australia we can break this habit of his and defeat them but both before and after our game in Munich I'll be watching Hiddink's team with interest

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Seven said:
I just love those "New" places. There you have a wonderful and most of all gigantic country and it's called after Zeeland. As if it's a cheap rip off :D.
Actually, it's altogether likely, considering it was Dutch explorers who discovered a lot of Oceania (if my primary school history serves me correctly)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
gray said:
Actually, it's altogether likely, considering it was Dutch explorers who discovered a lot of Oceania (if my primary school history serves me correctly)

I know it's likely. That's why I think it's so funny :D.

It's like New York. Admittedly Nieuw Amsterdam wouldn't have been too good of a choice either, but in retrospect it would have still made more sense than naming it after York.

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #12
    Seven said:
    I know it's likely. That's why I think it's so funny :D.

It's like New York. Admittedly Nieuw Amsterdam wouldn't have been too good of a choice either, but in retrospect it would have still made more sense than naming it after York.
    Being named after Amsterdam was definitely flattering at that point in time though. As for Zealand, I'm sure that too was vastly more beautiful and impressive than it is in modern times...

I always used to think of the "New" places as being called that, because the inhabitants were aiming at making it a "new and better" place than their old counterparts. Which in the case of New Zealand is quite clearly an achieved objective :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Isn't New Amsterdam like.. Manhattan or something?

I know how blonde that sounds, but... that's what I thought

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Erik said:
    Being named after Amsterdam was definitely flattering at that point in time though. As for Zealand, I'm sure that too was vastly more beautiful and impressive than it is in modern times...

I always used to think of the "New" places as being called that, because the inhabitants were aiming at making it a "new and better" place than their old counterparts. Which in the case of New Zealand is quite clearly an achieved objective :D
    :D

That is indeed a good way of looking at it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    gray said:
    Isn't New Amsterdam like.. Manhattan or something?

I know how blonde that sounds, but... that's what I thought
    I thought there was this English-Dutch "war", so it was going to be either New York or New Amsterdam?

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #16
    Seven said:
    I thought there was this English-Dutch "war", so it was going to be either New York or New Amsterdam?
    New York was originally founded by the Dutch as Nieuw Amsterdam, until the 3rd or 4th Anglo-Dutch war (I'm not so good with numbers) saw the English take over the colony and rename it.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    Erik said:
    So the Australian National Team decided to play a friendly game against the Zealand Provincial Team, my home province, before their friendly against Holland on Sunday. :weee:

Never mind the embarassing scoreline I guess... :sad:

Anyway, thought some of you might be interested in this, the mother of all games..!

Oh and I instructed a considerable number of people to get me Timmy Cahill's shirt, the better the chance of getting if you have a small army working with you, right? Of course nobody succeeded in doing that despite the match being played on a field with one miserable tiny stand and no security. :doh:
    so?

you want australia to kick holland on weekend or whats it all about.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Erik said:
    New York was originally founded by the Dutch as Nieuw Amsterdam, until the 3rd or 4th Anglo-Dutch war (I'm not so good with numbers) saw the English take over the colony and rename it.
    So I got it partially right.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
    Erik said:
    Was that before or after writing the sarcastic national anthem :rofl:?

NFL16

Nov 28, 2005
    Seven said:
    Gigantic :p maybe compared to Belgium.
    By the way NZ's also called Aotearoa, i think its a better name

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)