Witchcraft in African Football (1 Viewer)

Jul 19, 2003
This is hilarious......an article by BBC Sport.

Tanzania clamps down on juju

By Emmanuel Muga
BBC Sport, Dar-es- Salaam

The interim committee of the Football Association of Tanzania (Fat) has penalised the country's top two teams, Simba and Yanga, for using witchcraft.

Both sides performed various juju rituals before and during Sunday's league match in Dar-es-Salaam, which ended in a 2-2 draw.

"These are our biggest clubs and their strong beliefs in witchcraft can set a bad example for upcoming teams," said Mwina Kaduguda, the secretary-general of Fat's interim committee.

"We have fined both teams $500 and we are also going to start a campaign to educate all the teams in the league that juju has no place in football."

The rituals included two Yanga players urinating on the pitch in an attempt to neutralise a substance placed on the field by Simba during half time.

Yanga captain Paul John Masanja also refused to shake hands with his Simba counterpart Seleman Matola.

Masanja said that he had been instructed not to offer his hand but declined to say who had told him to do so.

Notice the huge $500 fine........shows the extent of poverty still in Africa.:frown:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
its interesting really. doing so might hurt the authority their culture has in their society.

on the other hand witchcraft is needless since it complicates football there. its a problem that must be solved with respect to both football and tradition.

how do go about doing it though.........that is the question

eringi

Jul 15, 2002
i don't understand why they want to ban Juju in football... it might not have meaning for them but it has meaning for the players. Should they then start banning people who pray to a certain god!

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by eringi ] ++
i don't understand why they want to ban Juju in football... it might not have meaning for them but it has meaning for the players. Should they then start banning people who pray to a certain god!
There is no good in whichcraft....it's not a religion...it's an evel practice and they even admit it...

A person who prays to god asks god to make him play well and keep him safe from injury......witchcraft is the opposite and it's about making the aponent suffer.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Good point eringi, I think this is a bit discriminatory

To be hypocritical, I thought it was pretty ridiculous during a certain match I saw. After the game, the losing side looked around all over the field for ages for some little item which they thought the winning team had placed on the pitch to curse them... and some other crazy stuff happened, which I thought was a bit silly. Not that they believe in those kinds of things, but the impact it had on a football match. Just accept that you lost, guys! :rolleyes:

:p

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Bah Majed you troublemaker, go and bring up a good point while i'm replying...

I agree with Majed now, I just wasn't very familiar with witchcraft...

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
I think the reason they ban it is that it takes away the focus from what is actually heppening on the field. They concentrate on their rituals to win and not to train more. Plus that they blame the gods if they lose.

eringi

Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

There is no good in whichcraft....it's not a religion...it's an evel practice and they even admit it...

A person who prays to god asks god to make him play well and keep him safe from injury......witchcraft is the opposite and it's about making the aponent suffer.
I don't think any of us knows enough about witchcraft to know exactly what those players are praying for. If someone wears a chain or a ring for goodluck charm, should we call that witchcraft and ban it ??? i think placing an object behind the keeper's goal is no different from that.

Peeing around the pitch is kind of ridiculous and i think it should be banned for health reasons but not for witchcraft.

As for the fact that one who prays to God means well for the other team, that's bogus, when you pray to God to win, you wish that something happens to other team so that they can lose, so you are not wishing them well just like withcraft then!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Personally, when I pray before a match, I don't even care about the result. It's simply that nobody gets hurt, and that I can set a good example of sportsmanship on the pitch.

eringi

Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Personally, when I pray before a match, I don't even care about the result. It's simply that nobody gets hurt, and that I can set a good example of sportsmanship on the pitch.
But seriously Gray, i think you are one of the few. Tell me how many football players go onto the pitch praying about Sportsmanship. Most people pray about winning

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by eringi ] ++

But seriously Gray, i think you are one of the few. Tell me how many football players go onto the pitch praying about Sportsmanship. Most people pray about winning
You'd be surprised ;)

That said, I have a feeling this thread might go down the same track as the Ghaddafi thread, if some of the kinds of comments posted here continue... so let's not talk too much about things we don't understand, shall we?

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
gray i dont think eringi's post was offensive(not intentionally anyways).

eringi when put in the proper perspective, it doesnt seem logical to hope bad things happen to the other team. yeah people can hope to win but hoping something bad happens to someone else- i mean its not a war now is it?

imvho if its part of their culture, it should not be stifled- least of all by the FAT. its not their place to deal with the issue frankly.

it is in their power however to deal with problems that may affect matters on the pitch and by extension the football world that revolves around it.

about it being evil, despite my moral beliefs i have to respect others faiths and if this is a part of their belief then we cant stop them from doing what they do.

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Are you serious? :confused:

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

Who are you to say such things...

To many people, witchcraft is a religion and should be accepted with the same respect you should give to any religion

Maybe you need to do some research.

If someone was to come here and write similar things about catholicism, islam, budhism etc etc there would be an outcry.

Similarly with the continual biggotism on this forum aimed at homosexuals

People should be more open and accepting of other peoples practices.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Yes

controlling myself and being honest and honourable is more important than football.

Galatians 5:22:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith.

This is what I try to keep rather than caring so much about the outcome of a match. This doesn't mean I don't try though...I scored 3 goals in a 5-3 win in indoor soccer on Wednesday :extatic::stuckup:

:p

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++

Who are you to say such things...

To many people, witchcraft is a religion and should be accepted with the same respect you should give to any religion

Maybe you need to do some research.

If someone was to come here and write similar things about catholicism, islam, budhism etc etc there would be an outcry.

Similarly with the continual biggotism on this forum aimed at homosexuals

People should be more open and accepting of other peoples practices.
i know more about it then you'd ever know.....i've personaly seen these objects of witchcraft and i know that witchcraft is NOT a religion.

witchcraft is not a system of beliefs or practices and there is no single act of witchcraft that is considered "good" by any religion or anyone good.

making another person sick, dizzy, or down is not good and should never be respected no matter what you call it.

witchcraft involves communicating with the devil or his likes.
and there is no good in that at all.

i dont know how you got the idea that it's a religion and some people should be free to do it. you've watched too many episodes of "Charmed" and "Bewitched."

Even """IF""" it was a religion, Let me tell you something else....There are boundries in Religion too that you must never cross and never respect.

If there was a religion that calls for the killing of all people who's nicknames online start with an "S", would you respect that religion?!!! :rolleyes: huh?!!
of courese not....because it crosses the line and it affects others.

BTW, it's a sad place you live in Shadowfax where if what you pray for is for the other team to lose or something happen to them.

Personaly, i ask God for him to make me play my best and a i announce that i play in the name of him. (and not with evil/meliscous intent)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Majed - of course there are questionable forms of witchcraft but it's no different from normal religions. There are ALWAYS people abusing it.

The Catholic church raped Christianity in the middle-ages, Al-Qaeda has destroyed the image of Islam and there are many more examples.

It does not mean witchcraft is a bad thing, just because you've met a bunch of people MAKING it evil up close.

You say Paul lives in his own world, filled with biased. No offence, but I think you're prejudiced yourself on this matter. The simple fact that you deny that there are two sides to everything, INCLUDING witchcraft is proof of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)