[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (95 Viewers)

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Yeah, talking about Giroud. Another terrible statistic. I don't think I've ever seen a side playing such negative football during a WC. Germany 2014, Spain 2010, maybe Italy 2006 too and Brazil 2002 were entertaining sides who dominated possession and wanted the ball/make the play. DD will be an absolute goat

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You think on Giroud? Not that he didn't scored, he didn't even had a single shot on target for whole tournament.
Yet people here say France play amazing football. Nevermind that almost all of their goals are from set pieces.
I'm super prepared to lose another big final. It would be #6 for me. I'm not sure how I will react if for a change my team wins a final. For years I imagined that I'll celebrate a win in a big final with you guys. Now I'll kinda be alone in my celebrations :D

But logic suggests that Croatia is likely to lose. France are incredibly strong everywhere on the pitch. Excellent in defense, athletic and strong in midfield, fast and capable in attack. They had 1 more day to rest, they played 90 minutes less and they avoided nerve breaking and exhausting matches. They have the highest number of players with experience in the biggest European leagues and clubs and in CL final stages.

It's likely gonna be a Croatian defeat. I just hope that it won't be a painful one like Juve-Milan in 2003, or this year's quarters against Real.

My prediction: 2:0 at HT, 3:0 or 2:0 FT.
If Croatia are prepared to not have the ball (and by that I mean Modric should literally kick it to the French and force possession on them), I think the chances are about even.

If Croatia play their normal game, it will be 2-0 to France imo. Inevitable corner goal around minute 60 and a goal on the counter from Griezmann around minute 80.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah, talking about Giroud. Another terrible statistic. I don't think I've ever seen a side playing such negative football during a WC. Germany 2014, Spain 2010, maybe Italy 2006 too and Brazil 2002 were entertaining sides who dominated possession and wanted the ball/make the play. DD will be an absolute goat
People here say France play great football. You mean you disagree?

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
People here say France play great football. You mean you disagree?

I personally dislike it. The match against Belgium was shameful imo. They play like Chelsea under Di Matteo during the CL knock-out stages while having the best squad by far.

I think Courtois summed it up perfectly in his interview: "Ik heb nog nooit gezien dat een spits zo ver van doel speelt, zelfs niet met Chelsea''

They are playing 3 natural CB's (actually 4 considering Hernandez doesn't join in attack), non of their CM's joins in attack and a striker that can't score.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
Spain 2010 is the most boring team to win the World Cup for sure. They won every match 1-0 by passing to death. Incidentally, WC 2010 is also the worst sports tournament I've ever watched.

This France certainly comes close though. Boring af.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I personally dislike it. The match against Belgium was shameful imo. They play like Chelsea under Di Matteo during the CL knock-out stages while having the best squad by far.

I think Courtois summed it up perfectly in his interview: "Ik heb nog nooit gezien dat een spits zo ver van doel speelt, zelfs niet met Chelsea''

They are playing 3 natural CB's (actually 4 considering Hernandez doesn't join in attack), non of their CM's joins in attack and a striker that can't score.
I'd get their tactics if it would maximize their chance of success.

But with the team they have it doesn't at all imo. They barely won against Australia and Peru, drew with Denmark in what was a fix and went past Uruguay and Belgium because of set piece goals.

All of that could have easily gone the other way.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Spain 2010 is the most boring team to win the World Cup for sure. They won every match 1-0 by passing to death. Incidentally, WC 2010 is also the worst sports tournament I've ever watched.

This France certainly comes close though. Boring af.
You don't like the 'organization' and the 'professional' time wasting?

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
You don't like the 'organization' and the 'professional' time wasting?

Idk if I was supporting them, I wouldn't have minded it ofcourse. But as a neutral, with all the talent they have at their disposal, I don't find them great to watch. But you do what you gotta to do to win a big tournament like the World Cup I guess.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Italy 2006 was pretty fucking boring tbh. Definitely didn’t dominate shit except they had an insanely good defense.

Jethro

Mar 6, 2018
Yet people here say France play amazing football. Nevermind that almost all of their goals are from set pieces.If Croatia are prepared to not have the ball (and by that I mean Modric should literally kick it to the French and force possession on them), I think the chances are about even.

If Croatia play their normal game, it will be 2-0 to France imo. Inevitable corner goal around minute 60 and a goal on the counter from Griezmann around minute 80.
They didn't played anything close to amazing football at this World Cup. Their wins came from lucky goals and set pieces. Can't find anything amazing there.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Italy 2006 was pretty fucking boring tbh. Definitely didn’t dominate shit except they had an insanely good defense.
They didn't dominate but they did have quite entertaining games.
They didn't played anything close to amazing football at this World Cup. Their wins came from lucky goals and set pieces. Can't find anything amazing there.
I think they risk losing to Croatia today, if they continue to play the same way. Surely Croatia will refuse to dictate play. The French may have forced this upon every other opposition, but I don't think Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic and Perisic are so naive.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
France to win cagey, nervous match by one goal margin. 1-0, or 2-1
That's to be expected when a smaller team reaches the final imo. They have to play organized, defend as if their lives depend on it, waste time, disrupt the flow of the game.. it's usually very difficult for the bigger team to break through, especially when it's a World Cup final. But it's only normal that France, with their lack of talent, retreat to their own box.

tassard

Jul 30, 2004
As a neutral fan, France is boring like hell.They have a very exciting roster and they don't really play football.

But in a WC, the end justifies the means i guess.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
As a neutral fan, France is boring like hell.They have a very exciting roster and they don't really play football.

But in a WC, the end justifies the means i guess.
You end up risking everything on sheer luck. That's why Zidane and Madrid didn't play that way and won the CL thrice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 94)