UEFA in Euro ban threat (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2002
UEFA in Euro ban threat Thursday 12 February, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UEFA have warned debt-ridden clubs that they could face expulsion from European competitions.

New chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson says that sides found guilty of "financial doping" may be banned from the Champions’ League and the UEFA Cup.

"Too many clubs plan as if they are playing in Europe even though not that many actually qualify," he told the Financial Times.

"We are determined to be firm about this system. In future, clubs will not be allowed to have significant debts to players or any related party.

"What has happened in many cases until now is that too many clubs have been indulging in 'financial doping', recruiting players but not paying their debts, and sometimes not paying salaries.

"Now, they will have to prove they have sound finances to play in our competitions."

Olsson’s warning was directed at all European clubs but a number of Italian sides in particular could be affected.

Peninsula outfits already have to pass certain financial criteria at the start of each campaign to be registered for the new season.
-------------------------------------------

Haha a new way of killing of Roma :cool:

Buy on AliExpress.com

nina

Feb 18, 2001
They have been saying that for ages, but nothing concrete happened yet. Besides, Roma always manages to find some foolish bank to lend them money :D

OP

Jul 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    haha i guess they will get a good some of cash where the pivotable player totti goes to real......they will get cash, but the team would evaporate imo.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    I honestly think this sucks.
    I hate financial troubled clubs, because some of them are really capable but due to finances they suck, like Lazio. It hurts.
    It hurts you that our Coppa Italia final opponents are unable to perform?

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    I think the point was Lazio can't perform finance-wise but that doesn't seem to be the case in the pitch.

Aug 1, 2003
    Well they're a good team and very capable, but due to problems such as unpaid wages and all they're bound to let some players go, tight wages etc etc, and sometimes I think that indirectly affects the players somehow, so that kinda suck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)