[Trofeo F*CK that Berlusconi MOFO]Milan - Juventus (August 17th, 2008) (1 Viewer)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I'm not sure how one could say the friendlies prior to the CL qualifiers mean something but this friendly loss to Milan doesn't mean anything. This doesn't make any sense. It's either all the friendlies mean something or they don't, because we still have to prepare for the second leg and the Serie A matches coming up. It's like the subjective thinking of, "well, we did pretty well in the other matches, but ehhhh.... we won't count this one because it's lodged in between two important matches."
Not result wise, Andy. If we look at the results all the friendlies mean nothing.
But those friendlies before the CL match were much more important than the one following after the CL.
Back then things like tactics and physical condition were important because we had to prepare well to achieve our objective. After we achieved our objective it was normal to relax.
It's like after achieveing the third place in serie A last year. We didn't play for anything anymore and we couldn't win a single match till the end.

Players were fighting for the place in the starting line-up, they tried to impress the coach. Now apart from Amauri no-one had the need to impress Ranieri.

Look at Sissoko and Poulsen. They didn't run, they didn't tackle like they always do and like they did in the previous friendlies. Del Piero, if he thought that this friendly is so important, should have tried to do something, but he obviously didn't care at all.

I'm not trying to comfort myself at all. Even before the match i said that we should play the second team and the youngsters. Partly because i was afraid of injuries and partly because i knew our starters won't give a shit about this match.

Only Milan fans and those who look for every single way to attck the board and Ranieri think that this last Berlusconi Cup had any importance.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I wouldn't have even played in that Cup, especially after you guys did the Emerites Cup. Really you just want to "fine tune" your play and try out some new guys or old players in new positions. Your certainly not going to do that against Milan. You guys would have been better off playing a spanish team or some other Serie A squad that understands the meaning of a friendly match.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
And if we agree that the results in friendlies don't count but the display is what counts, then Milan didn't outplay us at all. They created 3 chances and scored 3 goals . I won't count the first goal because that wasn't even a chance and such a goal is scored only against Chimenti.
We created just as many chances but we scored only once, we had a clear goal disallowed and there was one goal-line clearance.

To me this match only proved that both Milan and Juve have huge defensive problems. Buffon, Nesta and Chiellini for the bigger part of the match didn't play, but still no-one can deny that the teams have defensive problems.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I wouldn't have even played in that Cup, especially after you guys did the Emerites Cup. Really you just want to "fine tune" your play and try out some new guys or old players in new positions. Your certainly not going to do that against Milan. You guys would have been better off playing a spanish team or some other Serie A squad that understands the meaning of a friendly match.
That's what i've been saying since the very beginning. Imo, we shouldn't have even played that friendly just like i don't like the idea of playing this next Birra Moretti Cup.

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #946
    But this year we wont be that desperate to prove our selves, our hate has weaken/fade away, esp against Milan, but not against Inter...
    But this year we are desperate to prove ourselves in Europe, three years is a long wait and add to that two disappointing years with Capello, some players are hungry. I know one that is really hungry, he happens to be blond.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #947
    That's what i've been saying since the very beginning. Imo, we shouldn't have even played that friendly just like i don't like the idea of playing this next Birra Moretti Cup.
    Inter are becoming a smart team with Mourinho in charge, they simply refused to play this silly cup.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    I'm not trying to comfort myself at all. Even before the match i said that we should play the second team and the youngsters. Partly because i was afraid of injuries and partly because i knew our starters won't give a shit about this match.

Only Milan fans and those who look for every single way to attck the board and Ranieri think that this last Berlusconi Cup had any importance.
    The match could be unimportant, result wise, the prestige of this cup and the eternal fight+hate between our clubs, may mean nothing to you.
    But not the useful and deeper overview of our defense without the presence of Chiellini.
    On the contrary, this match was a unique chance to see how our defense would cope without him and Buffon saving the day.
    An insight to our defenders skills and qualities.
    Make no mistake they would never want to accept such a humiliated defeat, even if they started unfocused and careless, they eventually tried their best not to get humiliated like that. This is too much, esp for some of them who hope to challenge a starter, or a first choice sub place...

Our defenders really cant do anything better than that...
    Besides, they proved that in the past in the past, making the same mistakes and having the same performances in "important" league and CL games.

The fact is, that this match proved that without Buffon and Chiellini we are naked in the defense!! And our managers choose to ignore that!!

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    The match could be unimportant, result wise, the prestige of this cup and the eternal fight+hate between our clubs, may mean nothing to you.
    But not the useful and deeper overview of our defense without the presence of Chiellini.
    On the contrary, this match was a unique chance to see how our defense would cope without him and Buffon saving the day.
    An insight to our defenders skills and qualities.
    Make no mistake they would never want to accept such a humiliated defeat, even if they started unfocused and careless, they eventually tried their best not to get humiliated like that. This is too much, esp for some of them who hope to challenge a starter, or a first choice sub place...

Our defenders really cant do anything better than that...
    Besides, they proved that in the past in the past, making the same mistakes and having the same performances in "important" league and CL games.

The fact is, that this match proved that without Buffon and Chiellini we are naked in the defense!! And our managers choose to ignore that!!
    Yeah, that's what i said. This match only confirmed (beh, it was actually confirmed many times in the past) that our defense is below average and we'll concede a lot when Chiellini and Buffon aren't there.
    Even when the two play they aren't all powerful to stop Molinaro and Legro from positioning themselves where no sane defender should be, but without them we're a real mess.

CB and LB were always going to be our problem. If Zebina isn't in Ranieri's plans then RB is also a problem.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    But this year we are desperate to prove ourselves in Europe, three years is a long wait and add to that two disappointing years with Capello, some players are hungry. I know one that is really hungry, he happens to be blond.
    Indeed, i expect us to do better in Europe, at least better than he usual boring look we had, when placed against the lesser teams.
    But unfortunately for us we might have to face teams much stronger than us, since many teams got strengthened and we are weaker than ever and placed in the third group of power:faq1: , meaning that we are facing two stronger teams...

I also expect us to get good results against Inter too, but we wont be us good/determined against Milan and Roma, as we were last year, the first year was a special year, now we are bound to soften up again...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Not result wise, Andy. If we look at the results all the friendlies mean nothing.
    But those friendlies before the CL match were much more important than the one following after the CL.
    Back then things like tactics and physical condition were important because we had to prepare well to achieve our objective. After we achieved our objective it was normal to relax.
    It's like after achieveing the third place in serie A last year. We didn't play for anything anymore and we couldn't win a single match till the end.

Players were fighting for the place in the starting line-up, they tried to impress the coach. Now apart from Amauri no-one had the need to impress Ranieri.

Look at Sissoko and Poulsen. They didn't run, they didn't tackle like they always do and like they did in the previous friendlies. Del Piero, if he thought that this friendly is so important, should have tried to do something, but he obviously didn't care at all.

I thought Poulsen and Sissoko tackled just as hard as they did in the other friendlies. But it just doesn't make much sense to me how different people evaluate these friendlies. One day it's a good performance against Man United, the next day it's a loss that means nothing. There really seems to be no standard when it comes to friendlies, and this stupid trofeo di merda takes the cake on that one. We might have qualified for the Champions League barring a disaster, but we still have to prepare for Serie A as well. That's why I don't really understand how we can draw a line in the sand and point out which friendlies "mean more" or are "more important."

The other friendlies we played consisted of make-shift Juve experiment squads that will probably be nothing like what we see during the season. That's why we can't conclude anything from any of these friendlies.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    I thought Poulsen and Sissoko tackled just as hard as they did in the other friendlies. But it just doesn't make much sense to me how different people evaluate these friendlies. One day it's a good performance against Man United, the next day it's a loss that means nothing. There really seems to be no standard when it comes to friendlies, and this stupid trofeo di merda takes the cake on that one. We might have qualified for the Champions League barring a disaster, but we still have to prepare for Serie A as well. That's why I don't really understand how we can draw a line in the sand and point out which friendlies "mean more" or are "more important."

The other friendlies we played were just make-shift experiment squads that will probably be nothing like what we see during the season. That's why we can't conclude anything from any of these friendlies.
    There is standard. For me the 2:2 against Milan last month was much worse than this 4:1 defeat against the same team. Back then Milan just started with trainings, we were motivated enough and not only that we couldn't beat them but we played pretty poor and only Milan's poor defense was responsible for the two goals they conceded.
    For this last match i firmly believe that we didn't give a shit.

What i'm saying is that there is a lot to criticize. The Hamburg match, the Arsenal match where we were really poor, etc.
    But i really don't understand why can't you see that this match against Milan came in such time when no-one cared at all what's going to happen.

Like i told you before with the serie A comparisson.
    Sometimes Juve-Empoli in the 25th round is much more important than Juve-Roma in 38th round where Juve already secured the scudetto, and our players will give 100% against Empoli and won't play with more than 30% of their power against Roma.

P.S: And Poulsen and Sissoko played clean and they weren't agressive at all. That's so not like the Sissoko and Poulsen we know and it perfectly shows how much this last match mattered to us. Even before it started all our players wanted was this match to finish asap so they could go have some fun in Milan discoteques.
    On the other hand, Gattuso and the other Milan players kept fighting and tackling, with the risk of injuring our players. They knew that it will be a real hell if they play poor again and they gave their all to impress.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    There is standard. For me the 2:2 against Milan last month was much worse than this 4:1 defeat against the same team. Back then Milan just started with trainings, we were motivated enough and not only that we couldn't beat them but we played pretty poor and only Milan's poor defense was responsible for the two goals they conceded.
    For this last match i firmly believe that we didn't give a shit.

What i'm saying is that there is a lot to criticize. The Hamburg match, the Arsenal match where we were really poor, etc.
    But i really don't understand why can't you see that this match against Milan came in such time when no-one cared at all what's going to happen.
    I understand right now is basically a time of limbo. It's just that we're getting closer to the start of Serie A, so if we're just going to slack off in some friendlies now, why even play them in the first place? From the comments to the press someone posted earlier, it seemed like some people from the squad did care about the friendly. So it just doesn't make any sense to me.

All this stuff reminds me why I don't look too much into friendlies whatsoever. Playing youth and second team players in some, Bruce Willis in others . . . nobody can get a real idea about what's going to happen in the important matches.

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
    I understand right now is basically a time of limbo. It's just that we're getting closer to the start of Serie A, so if we're just going to slack off in some friendlies now, why even play them in the first place? From the comments to the press someone posted earlier, it seemed like some people from the squad did care about the friendly. So it just doesn't make any sense to me.

All this stuff reminds me why I don't look too much into friendlies whatsoever. Playing youth and second team players in some, Bruce Willis in others . . . nobody can get a real idea about what's going to happen in the important matches.
    we are about to find it in just week or two..Hope for the best as always

Forza Juve

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    so if we're just going to slack off in some friendlies now, why even play them in the first place?
    That's a great question and i'm still looking for the answer.
    This friendly was scheduled in June already (actually, the Berlusconi cup is played in August anyway, but the precise date was known in June).
    We knew that this friendly is going to be played between the CL matches and that's why i don't understand why the fools didn't reschedule it. Luckily we didn't get Atletico in CLQ and we didn't lose the first leg.
    What i'm saying is that it was always known that these friendlies between the CL matches are completely meaningless and that the players will just show up trying not to get injured.
    But hey....someone said we play for prestige.

From the comments to the press someone posted earlier, it seemed like some people from the squad did care about the friendly. So it just doesn't make any sense to me.
    You know as well as i do that every single coach and player will say that every match is important. Even if we won 10:0 against Artmedia Ranieri would have said that we need to stay 100% focused for the return leg.
    But saying something and doing it are two different things.
    When the journalists asked Ranieri and Del Piero what do they think about trofeo Berlusconi it was normal for them to say that it was important and we'll do everything to win it. You shouldn't put too much attention into what they said.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    What i'm saying is that it was always known that these friendlies between the CL matches are completely meaningless and that the players will just show up trying not to get injured.
    And then that brings up the million Euro question. Wouldn't Ranieri safeguard against the injuries? If it's so meaningless, why the hell field most of our best players, Ranieri?

This is something I'll never understand, which just makes this stupid match even more ridiculous to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)