TOP NEWS!! FIGC chief Carraro quits (1 Viewer)

jaansu

Jul 12, 2002
FIGC chief Carraro quits Monday 8 May, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Franco Carraro has resigned as President of the Italian Football Federation in the immediate aftermath of the latest scandal to hit the Italian game.

The Federation chief has come under increasing pressure to stand down as a result of the telephone interception allegations which has brought into question the credibility of the Italian game.

Although Carraro pledged that the “sporting justice system would act quickly and with vigour” on Friday afternoon with regard to the issue, he has this evening thrown in the towel.

The FIGC official made the decision to quit after holding talks with Gianni Petrucci and Raffaele Pagnozzi, two leading figures of CONI – Italy’s Olympic Committee.

Carraro’s decision to step down, which he was set to do later this year anyway, has seen Vice-President Giancarlo Abete automatically promoted to the top job.

This latest development hasn’t exactly shocked the Italian public, neither has it come as a surprise to League President Adriano Galliani.

“Franco Carraro’s resignation is a courageous act and doesn’t come as a surprise to people who know him, like I know him,” he stated this evening.

“Italian football has the need to continue with a President like him, capable, intelligent. For this motive it is my personal hope that he reconsiders his decision.”

The Federation are about to start their enquiry into a number of telephone calls which were intercepted by Turin magistrates between some prominent figures of authority in the Italian game, but not directly involving Carraro.

The scandal has somewhat overshadowed the conclusion to the Serie A season and there are calls for calcio to make a fresh start.

“I want a radical system change,” stated Players’ Association President Sergio Campana on Monday evening.

“We have the right to request that justice is done speedily and the appropriate sanctions are in proportion with the acts committed.

“The Federation has the necessity to give football credibility again.”

Channel4.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
jaansu said:
The Federation chief has come under increasing pressure to stand down as a result of the telephone interception allegations which has brought into question the credibility of the Italian game.
What telephone interception allegations? Really, is this the standard of journalism on C4 these days?

More importantly, what the heck made me think that C4 ever had standards of journalism...

OP
Eddy

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
  • Thread Starter #8
    I had a feeling it was all from the pressure, you gotta say this year has been insane for Italian football..

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Italian chief quits amid Juve scandal

ROME (AP) -- Italian soccer federation president Franco Carraro resigned Monday amid accusations that his organization's officials conferred with Juventus to have referees assigned to the team's games.

"The duties of the federation in the coming months are so broad that they deserve a (president) completely capable of carrying out its functions," Carraro wrote in a letter, said ANSA news agency.

The Italian media has printed extensive excerpts of phone calls between Juventus and soccer officials in which match officials for Serie A and Champions League games were discussed.

On Friday, Carraro announced that a "rigorous" inquiry would take place.

UEFA said it had opened an inquiry into the case and had verbally reprimanded Italian refereeing official Pierluigi Pairetto for disclosing confidential information.

According to the transcripts of the phone calls -- provided by Turin prosecutors -- Pairetto disclosed the names of referees to Juventus general director Luciano Moggi.

Pairetto assigned referees for Italian league matches last season and was one of three vice chairmen of UEFA's referees committee from 2004-06.

Associated Press

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Carraro said he was stepping down because of the loaded programme the Federation had ahead, including their bid to win the right to host the 2012 European championships.

"The tasks facing the Federation in the next few months are so numerous and serious that it requires the federation's directors to be totally focussed," said 66-year-old Carraro, who was first elected to the post in 2001 and re-elected in 2005.

"Nothing indicates to me that I did anything wrong in either my personal or institutional behaviour," added Carraro, who was mayor of Rome from 1989-93 and head of the Italian Olympic Committee from 1978-87.

AFP

OP
    Eddy

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
  • Thread Starter #12
    ReBeL said:
    Carraro said he was stepping down because of the loaded programme the Federation had ahead, including their bid to win the right to host the 2012 European championships.

"The tasks facing the Federation in the next few months are so numerous and serious that it requires the federation's directors to be totally focussed," said 66-year-old Carraro, who was first elected to the post in 2001 and re-elected in 2005.

"Nothing indicates to me that I did anything wrong in either my personal or institutional behaviour," added Carraro, who was mayor of Rome from 1989-93 and head of the Italian Olympic Committee from 1978-87.

AFP
    could be a blush imo

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    mikhail said:
    What telephone interception allegations? Really, is this the standard of journalism on C4 these days?

More importantly, what the heck made me think that C4 ever had standards of journalism...
    Every1 does it for $$$ all the time, even if it includes killing your mother

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)